Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Dual boot / Two different hard disks - Question

Hi,

I have 2 different hard disk drives, both with the same OS (XP Pro SP3 32bit).

I choose which one I'd like to boot via System BIOS (and that one becomes "drive C:" each time), so both these XP boots are completely independent of each other.

Can I install OA in the suggested default folder on both systems/hard disks (e.g. C:\Program Files\Online Armor for both) or should I change the destination folder for one of them?

I asked the same question here but I've received no reply.

I'm asking this because I'm going to create an image (Macrium Reflect) of one of the hard disk and then restore that image on the other hard disk.

Thanks,

N.

I also dual-boot XP (but with partitions instead of separate disks), and yes you can install OA in the same default folder for each boot.

Just think about the situation, each of your XP installations are on separate disks and run independently from each other, and each installation you do within XP is tied to whatever disk/boot you are currently using. There is no 'contamination' occurring when you do installations within a XP boot unless there is issues with the drive letters changing or something.

Essentially each XP boot you use is like using an entirely different computer, the only "settings" that are shared between them is the boot loader and MBR. And while the computer is capable of accessing the disks no matter what boot you are on, I have never had any cross contamination issues with installations and I have been dual-booting for several years now.

Just make sure you pick the right drive to clone to/from, because you wouldn't want to clone over the disk responsible for handling the boot process. Easy way to know which disk has the boot loader is to go into the main C drive and see if there is a ntldr and a boot.ini file. Whatever disk has those files, handles the boot. So you don't want to erase that disk (which a disk image clone would do).

I also dual-boot XP (but with partitions instead of separate disks), and yes you can install OA in the same default folder for each boot.

Just think about the situation, each of your XP installations are on separate disks and run independently from each other, and each installation you do within XP is tied to whatever disk/boot you are currently using. There is no 'contamination' occurring when you do installations within a XP boot unless there is issues with the drive letters changing or something.

Thank you for your reply ITPython.

I've been using dual-boot XP for many years now but always with OA installed only on one of the two systems.

The reason why I'm asking that question is because I read this recent thread.

Cheers,

N.

Yeah that is my thread (which I'm sure you know :)). The problems I am having aren't from OA being installed on both boots, it's simply a software glitch with V5, which for some reason doesn't agree with my second boot (works perfectly fine on my main boot though).

But rest assured it has nothing to do with the fact that I have OA installed on both boots. In fact my brother had a very similar problem with V5 on his computer as well, and he only boots a single OS. V5 simply has some major flaws that need to be fixed.

You may end up having problems with what you are trying to do, but it won't be from OA installs on both boots.