Sign in to follow this  
G_girl

Odd Behavior how to block it ?

I am occasionally getting a connection loop, where a site keeps trying successive ports, not stopping after many tries.

Is there a way I can block this ? just right clicking and choosing "close connection" doesn't seem to work and I have no idea what is causing it. I've seen it trying to open almost 300 ports. Is it just dirty code where they didnt put a check in to stop after subsequent attempts ?

connecting_bc.jpg

What program is listed as generating these connections? The picture shows lots of http connections (port 80) successfully being generated by some process in your computer. Each connection requires a local endpoint, thus the successive ports on your side use a one-up-counter.

I'm using Firefox when this happens, connecting to the ip shown there.

The add-ons i use are noscript and adblockplus. Noscript would occasionally call home so I blocked informaction.com but im not sure this has anything to do with that. The IP its trying to connect to is the site I visited, not the blocked site.

The left column I had obscured because it was just my ISP's IP address for me, i kept the port numbers intact. The site works fine, but I do block some of the ad servers like yieldmanager, google analytics, and some others their web pages have. Could that be the problem with the continual port probing ?

Perhaps there is some element of the page that auto refreshes at a given interval. Closing a connection from the Firewall Status window won't stop new connections from being made - it will just close the one you ask it to and if the site is still trying to load, it will just create a new one. If you want to be sure no further connections are made you would need to exit the site or use the "Block all network traffic" feature.

Perhaps there is some element of the page that auto refreshes at a given interval. Closing a connection from the Firewall Status window won't stop new connections from being made - it will just close the one you ask it to and if the site is still trying to load, it will just create a new one. If you want to be sure no further connections are made you would need to exit the site or use the "Block all network traffic" feature.

Thanks Cat, guess there isnt much I can do