lorac

Online Armor ++ or Online Armor + Emsisoft Anti-malware

Hi,

Is anyone using OA + Emsisoft Anti-malware? Does anyone know how the combination would compare to OA++ ? My subscription renewal will be coming up in a couple of months and just wondered if there might be advantages to using OA plus Emsisoft Anti-malware, as opposed to OA++

Thanks

Hi,

Is anyone using OA + Emsisoft Anti-malware? Does anyone know how the combination would compare to OA++ ? My subscription renewal will be coming up in a couple of months and just wondered if there might be advantages to using OA plus Emsisoft Anti-malware, as opposed to OA++

Thanks

i use them; to be simple:

EAM = Antivirus + Behavior Blocker (Mamutu)

OA = Firewall + HIPS

OA++ = Antivirus + Firewall + HIPS

EAM + OA = Antivirus + Behavior Blocker + Firewall + HIPS

as a result, it is better to buy EAM and OA rather than OA++

Just out of curiosity, in the last scenario is there no potential (or probability) for conflicts between the behavior blocker and HIPS if both run concurrently?

YES !

EAM & OA work very well together, and have done so for a long time, long before Emsisoft took over OA from TallEmu.

i´ve have been using EAM & OA, together with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for years, since MSE was a beta, they work well together.

OA = Firewall + HIPS

This need to be clearer on the sales pages!

Bascially OA premium + EAM = more protection for $10 less ;)

Also for all who are current users of EAM (or OA for that matter) be sure you check https://cc.emsisoft.com/en for upgrade deals... I picked up Online Armor Premium at a discount due to already owning EAM.

a small update (clarification) to my previous post above.

just in case someone should find my old posts somewhere on the web...

unfortunately when i edited the text i posted the wrong text:

"i´ve have been using EAM & OA, together with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for years, since MSE was a beta, they work well together. "

actually, to be correct i used EAM (which was named a2 at that time) and Avira together with Comodo´s firewall.

when MSE v1-beta was released i decided to add MSE.

so for a period i had 3 (THREE) antivirus-programs running !

i later removed Avira, and also switched firewall from Comodo to Online Armor.

since then i´ve been using EAM and MSE together with OA-Premium which is a VERY good combination.

actually, to be correct i used EAM (which was named a2 at that time) and Avira together with Comodo´s firewall.

when MSE v1-beta was released i decided to add MSE.

so for a period i had 3 (THREE) antivirus-programs running !

i later removed Avira, and also switched firewall from Comodo to Online Armor.

since then i´ve been using EAM and MSE together with OA-Premium which is a VERY good combination.

did you test test MSE + EAM against malwares?

i readed your signature, Winpatrol+ is a bit useless since you use OAP who has exactly all WP+ features.

offtopic: if you like serious security sites, i recommend you malwaretips.com (one where i am an active member)

i read your signature, Winpatrol+ is a bit useless since you use OAP who has exactly all WP+ features.

I'm going to disagree with you though I wish you were correct and here's why...

...Though OA monitors many of the same functions as WinPatrol and WinPatrol PLUS, there are some things it doesn't do...

...For example, if a program that I have trusted and allowed (but don't want to start with Windows) adds itself to the startup list, OA won't alert and call this to my attention. WinPatrol (or a simple program by Mike Lin called StartupMonitor) will.

The same thing with changes to running "services".

So, while OA is definitely one of my all time favorite programs (along with Sandboxie), there are some features I wish it incorporated but doesn't at present. For this reason a program like WinPatrol (and WinPatrol PLUS) is still a viable addition (though I agree that there is a certain amount of overlap.) I am unaware of any conflicts between the two programs in my experience.

On the OA + EAM topic, I am curious how the HIPS and Behavior Blocker function while running concurrently?

On the OA + EAM topic, I am curious how the HIPS and Behavior Blocker function while running concurrently?

i used Winpatrol+ but now i replaced it by a free apps called Autoruns.

The BB and HIPS works well rogether as far i used them, no conflicts and complement each other (because a BB if they seems similar works differently than a HIPS).

i used Winpatrol+ but now i replaced it by a free apps called Autoruns.

I also have "autoruns" but as far as I know it will not "alert" to new entries. You have to go through the various columns and select the items you wish to allow or deny "startup" status. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's the "alert" that makes WinPatrol valuable imho. I could get by without it if I wanted to check the autoruns folder in the OA GUI regularly...or similarly go through the "services" folder within Windows. But I can avoid having to do that because WP will alert me to the new entry. (There may be an exception here and there.)

Thanks for sharing your experience on the interaction of HIPS & BB. I often wondered how they would play together even with both coming from the same company.

I also have "autoruns" but as far as I know it will not "alert" to new entries. You have to go through the various columns and select the items you wish to allow or deny "startup" status. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's the "alert" that makes WinPatrol valuable imho. I could get by without it if I wanted to check the autoruns folder in the OA GUI regularly...or similarly go through the "services" folder within Windows. But I can avoid having to do that because WP will alert me to the new entry. (There may be an exception here and there.)

Thanks for sharing your experience on the interaction of HIPS & BB. I often wondered how they would play together even with both coming from the same company.

you right Autoruns is not real-time like WP+, i stop using WP+ because it is not free ^^ (you have Process Monitor, that alert you of any new processes)

i use them; to be simple:

OA = Firewall + HIPS

That's useful information. It should probably be in the banner across the top of every page.

as a result, it is better to buy EAM and OA rather than OA++

That is only true if both "Antivirus" in the above quote are identical (or EAM is superior).

Bascially OA premium + EAM = more protection for $10 less ;)

If that's true, then why is there an OA++?

That's useful information. It should probably be in the banner across the top of every page.

That is only true if both "Antivirus" in the above quote are identical (or EAM is superior).

If that's true, then why is there an OA++?

Emsisoft acquired TallEmu's "Online Armor" product line, in which OA++ was the product that offered anti-virus protection, initially provided by the Kaspersky AV engine, and then--when Kaspersky discontinued that line of AV services--by the combined Emsisoft/Ikarus AV engine.

Sorting out features in acquired products is always a bit difficult: long-time customers of the acquired products don't necessarily want to be forced to move to an improved united product line.

My renewal of OA++ is coming up in a few months time, and certainly I'll be evaluating if the OA+EAM combo offers anything that I don't already have with combining cautious Internet use with OA++.

I've been hoping that Emsisoft will move its Windows firewall architecture on Windows Vista/7 to use the built-in Windows filtering platform, since this gives the user both IPv4 and IPv6 filtering/proctection on a common platform that will continue on Windows 8. But such a step does introduce yet another dependency for Emsisoft on Microsoft's uncertain ability/willingness to disclose/fix bugs on this filtering platform.