How to block connecting to an unwanted IP

Hi!

Lately I have seen on OA's Status screen that there is a connection to this: www-13-01-ash4.facebook.com:80

I have no Facebook account, nor anything to do with Facebook, so I wonder what this might be, and if it even really is Facebook.

This brings me to my question: Is it possible to prevent my notebook from connecting to an IP? Any 'blocklist' or something like that in OA?

So many sites these days are hooked up to Facebook features in some way ("Like" buttons etc). When you visit a site if portions of the site are coming from another site, you'd see a connection to the other site/s at some point.

You can add blacklists in Advanced mode (available in the paid versions), either globally, or apply them only to specific firewall rules. You can import specific purpose Bluetack Blocklists into OA, use the Calendar of Updates IP Blocklist or write your own list to import. You can also set up Endpoint restrictions by Country or IP within OA either globally or on a per rule basis.

Thank you.

I'm probably just being paranoid after having seen this clip once: "Do you have Facebook?": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMWz3G_gPhU

As I have nothing to hide, I have nothing to worry about, but it's just the principle.

Anyway, when I see that IP again, can I just copy it and paste it in 'Restrictions'? (I don't understand the difference between that and the 'Blacklist.')

I have OA Premium.

Yes, you can copy it from the Firewall Status window :) If you are going to be adding a lot of custom IP's particular to your needs then it's probably simplest to use Restrictions rather than a blacklist.

It's not possible to paste from the clipboard directly into the Restrictions dialog so you can paste the IP into something like Notepad for easier reference. You can either add it as a Global Restriction (this is under the Firewall -> Restrictions tab) or you can double click an individual rule in the Firewall -> Rules -> Ports tab and you'll see a tab for Endpoint Restrictions there which allows you to apply this restriction to only that rule. Note that you need to be working in Advanced Mode to see these tabs.

Alternatively, you can also use the Domain's list to block domain names which may be easier. You could for example enter *.facebook.com to block all such domains. There are some programs that interfere with the Domain's list block feature though; I believe the Chrome browser prevents it from working and also Trusteer Rapport so you may want to check it out on a test site first.

Thank you.

I have not seen that facebook thing anymore lately, but when I see it again -I sometimes check when I awaken my notebook, or after a reboot, just to see what it is connecting to- I'll follow your instructions, using the 'Restrictions' field.

I mostly use Opera, Firefox, and sporadically IE9. Not Chrome. And googling to find out what 'Trusteer Rapport' is, I think my bank might be using something like that, as it doesn't allow my browsers to remember my username and password.

I always have OA in 'Advanced' mode. Can't remember why. :)

Thanks again. :thumbs: