Insert Real Name

Banking Mode not working w/MS IE 9

Hello,

Long-time user of OA++ (now at ver. 5.0.0.1100 on Windows 7 Ult. x64 SP1). Used to use Banking Mode with MS IE 7/8, which I configured using the usual procedure of using the "Learn" context menu point that invokes an embedded browser on the bank website listed as "protected" on the Domains page while still in Basic/Advanced mode. Trusted websites were automatically added.

Using Learning with IE 9 (Release version) fails to add any websites to the Domains list, hence Banking Mocde no longer can be configured (it still blocks net connections very thoroughly, though).

Is this a known bug?

Do you have a different browser installed also? If so, do you know if the problem is isolated to IE9 or does it occur on your system with any browser you have installed? Do you have any other security programs installed? As an example, programs like Trusteer Rapport or PrevX Safe Online tend to interfere with the operation of OA's Web Shield.

Do you have a different browser installed also? If so, do you know if the problem is isolated to IE9 or does it occur on your system with any browser you have installed? Do you have any other security programs installed? As an example, programs like Trusteer Rapport or PrevX Safe Online tend to interfere with the operation of OA's Web Shield.

Firefox is my default browser, and OA++ is my only security software installed. I always am using a "limited" regular Windows user account. The problem occurs while in "basic" or "advanced" mode, when I use the embedded IE9 browser in OA++'s learning process that monitors which websites should be added to the "Trusted" category when browsing a "protected" website, in preparation for a future use of "banking" mode on the protected website.

Sorry, it seems that I confused the actual problem with something unrelated. Did you have IE8 installed on the same computer prior to IE9? I know you said you've had IE8 in the past but I'm unsure if it was on the same computer and same OS. If you did have IE8 installed on the same computer and O/S previously, are you saying the Learn process did work correctly there before you upgraded to IE9?

Sorry, it seems that I confused the actual problem with something unrelated. Did you have IE8 installed on the same computer prior to IE9? I know you said you've had IE8 in the past but I'm unsure if it was on the same computer and same OS. If you did have IE8 installed on the same computer and O/S previously, are you saying the Learn process did work correctly there before you upgraded to IE9?

Yes, this Banking Mode permitted sites learning process did work correctly on IE8 (which is the version installed by default on Windows 7), but no longer worked when I installed IE9.

I'm not reverting to IE8, however: I find the combination of the Windows RSS platform (where RSS subscriptions are downloaded automatically by background threads) and IE9's new Tracking Protection Lists & per-site ActiveX permissions very useful as a simple and functional RSS reader, even if I do most web browsing in Firefox by default.

Yes, this Banking Mode permitted sites learning process did work correctly on IE8 (which is the version installed by default on Windows 7), but no longer worked when I installed IE9.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure if Emsisoft are aware of the problem (it's not listed as a known issue in the public beta so I assume they aren't). I'm sure they'll look into why this isn't working correctly :)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure if Emsisoft are aware of the problem (it's not listed as a known issue in the public beta so I assume they aren't). I'm sure they'll look into why this isn't working correctly :)

Thank you for looking into it! I've checked the learn function several times (and just a moment ago before making this note), and while in basic or advanced mode, the embedded "learn" browser does not add domain names to the trusted category in the domains list.

Like most serious banks today, the bank domain I added to the protected category immediately redirects from htrtp://www.bank.com to https://www.bank.com and fetches all page text, images and other media from HTTPS sources, no mixed secure/insecure pages.

I'm referring Emsisoft Support to this forum thread in my bug report.