No popups for programs wanting internet access when running Kaspersky 2012

If you go to Options - Firewall tab and untick the box which says ''Automatically allow trusted programs to access the internet'' then the first time the program accesses the internet OA will ask you if you want it to be allowed to do so.

If you press 'block' then it will block internet access for the program, but it won't stop the program from working.

If only that worked...

However, I've tested this with various programs, a good example is convertxtodvd (for backing up videos to dvd) no matter how I configure OA it will NOT stop the program updating should I use the check for updates option. I realise that I'm clicking the 'check' button, but I don't get any option to either block nor indeed allow the network access. If that program can do it, what's to stop malware/trojans doing the same? This is a fail in my opinion, any advice please, or can OA do nothing about it?

Thank you for the reply, I have previously used that plan of attack, and I followed it again, to no avail. Sadly nothing seems to stop it, which has me somewhat worried.

As a recap, I've tried all the various approaches and tips, to no avail, it's as if OA has a back door or weakness.

For info, another example is Imgburn - a free iso burning program, again, free internet access, something is surely wrong. If needed I can find more...

If a program is trusted then OA automatically allows it to access the internet. (appropriate settings are located at Options->Firewall).

If you want to block a specific program from accessing the net - just find/create appropriate firewall rule.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Hi there,

I have no problem stopping a program from accessing the internet.

First, as I said earlier, I untick the option for trusted programs to access the internet. Then I run the program for the first time and when it calls out OA asks me if it can and I say yes or no.

I have this set up for most programs, Windows Media Player being one. Even my AV has to ask my permission on first run after install to call out for updates.

Can you say which operating system you have, which version and build of OA and confirm whether you are unticking the 'allow trusted internet access' straight after OA install.

Hmm, as I suspected - nothing to do with me ticking options etc, I'd done that many times. However, it seems to be down to Kaspersky 2012, in that it may be jumping in and allowing access to the internet through it's own proxy? Any ideas please?

I have switched off Kaspersky 2012 and reran the offending programs, and voila - OA gave me the option to allow/block. So, it IS the Kaspersky proxy, is there a way to set them up to work nicely together?