Fabian Wosar

Online Armor 5.1 Public Beta

oa5101285general.png

Hi guys,

We want to invite you to join the Online Armor 5.1 public beta test! You can find the Online Armor 5.1 setup here:

http://tmp.emsisoft.com/oa/trunk/5.1.0.1315/OnlineArmorSetup.exe

Happy testing! smile.gif

What is new in Online Armor 5.1?

• Greatly increased compatibility and stability with other applications
    We focused on improving the compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with products like Google Chrome, Sandboxie, Panda Cloud AV and others.
  • Overhauled white list settings
    We changed the white list settings slightly. In addition it is now possible to optionally trust all digitally signed files that were signed using a certificate that hasn't been used in connection with fraudulent or malicious activities in the past.
  • New upload feature
    You are not sure about a certain program? You can now easily upload it to the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network and get the file scanned using Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • More than 100 other bug fixes
    More than 100 reported bugs and issues in Online Armor 5.0 are fixed in 5.1. Those fixes include for example a recently reported vulnerability with Sinowal drive-by downloads, freezes during the SCW, freezes when executing applications from network shares, various Online Armor GUI freezes, cases where Online Armor forgot about certain application rules as well as many others.

How do I install Online Armor 5.1?

Just download and execute the setup linked above. If Online Armor was already installed and you don't want to lose your settings make sure to choose an "Upgrade" installation. We recommend that all Online Armor Premium and Online Armor ++ users disable automatic program updates during the beta test period and perform updates manually instead. This way you have more control over whether or not you want to switch to future test versions and won't be updated automatically. Please be aware that not all translations have been updated yet as well.

We want your feedback!

Have you started or found a thread about Online Armor 5.1 in a different forum? Do you like or dislike a specific planned change? Do you have questions about one of the changes or do you encounter a problem you need help with? Don't keep them to yourself. Share them with us! Either by simply replying here or via mail.

First af all congratulations; the changelog is promising.

One question though, is this public beta for the paid versions only?

Regards.

You can install whatever edition (Free/Premium/++) you'd like to.

Best regards,

Andrey.

Just installed on top of my free version and so far (in the few minutes its been running) no issues.

I noticed that the option to trust the digitally signed files was checked by default. (I had to deselect it.) Not sure if you want that option to run as default or not.

And Fabian, since you mention compatibility with Sandboxie, could you or one of the other good folks let us know if the Web Shield functions when a browser accesses the web under the supervision of Sandboxie. I can't seem to get an answer. It would be helpful to know.

Thank you.

Should work just fine.

Apparently it's not the case.

Would you please have a look at the following thread, Fabian, and then add your thoughts and comments please? I don't want to derail the "beta" discussion and that thread would be helpful to myself and others.

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/5154-web-shield-sandboxie-a-couple-of-questions/

Thank you in advance.

Hi, this beta seems to works fine on my w7 x64.

The good:

- OS startup seems to be more faster (i really like that!)

- browsing inside OA++ GUI is really fast and reactive now (far better than before)

- my OS seems to be more reactive

the truth

- despite the new options, i have millions of pop-ups when i execute Wimamp (thanks to OASIS where wimamp.exe is unknow)

and SUPER (erightsoft)... like before

Finally it's only a step in the right direction for me.

Thanks

Since installing OA 5.1 a few days ago I get a message at least daily that "Online Armor Component has stopped working". See attached file.

I am running Vista SP1, Avira Premium on demand only and Sandboxie.

A crash dump would be extremely helpful here. Can you please prepare your system to write a full crash dump as outlined here:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3810-how-to-configure-automatic-crash-dumps-in-case-of-application-failures/

Once that is done you need to disable the Online Armor self protection because otherwise Windows won't be able to create the crash dump in case Online Armor is crashing. You can do so by following these steps:

1. Enable Online Armor debug logs as outlined here.
  2. You will get access to a new "Debug" menu now. Go there, select the "Misc" tab and uncheck the "Self protection" option.
  3. Reboot :).

After you performed those steps wait until Online Armor crashes again. Make sure the crash dumps have been written correctly. Once you got a crash dump enable "Self protection" again and disable the Debug Mode. Then please write an email to the Online Armor support email address to get further instructions on what to do with the debug information collected.

@Ed_H53

Just wondering if there is a reason why you do not have Service Pack 2 installed for Vista.

Does Windows Viewer show any error messages for OA at the time that OA stops working?

@Ed_H53

Just wondering if there is a reason why you do not have Service Pack 2 installed for Vista.

Does Windows Viewer show any error messages for OA at the time that OA stops working?

Hello stapp,

I have tried SP2 and there was a noticeable slow down as a result. The slow down was evident on all 3 Lenovo T61 laptops at home.

Unfortunately, there are no OA error messages in the event viewer.

I don't know if you are aware, but Microsoft no longer offers security updates for Vista SP1

https://blogs.msdn.c...ice-pack-1.aspx

Hopefully a crash dump from you will help sort your OA problem out.

I did not know that about SP1...thanks for the heads up. I'll have to try SP2 again and maybe a clean install.

There was no minidump created for the OA crash.

I don't know if you are aware, but Microsoft no longer offers security updates for Vista SP1

https://blogs.msdn.c...ice-pack-1.aspx

Hopefully a crash dump from you will help sort your OA problem out.

I updated to Vista SP2 a couple of days ago and have not had an OA crash since!

As I previously experienced, however, my laptop is now frustratingly slow.

An updated Online Armor 5.1 beta build is available:

http://tmp.emsisoft.com/oa/trunk/5.1.0.1315/OnlineArmorSetup.exe

Changes:

• Fixed an issue that could cause a massive boot delay or freezes on some systems.
  • False positives with Roboform have been fixed.
  • Fixed an issue where settings for blocked applications weren't saved correctly.
  • Opera should no longer be detected as an installer.

Fabian, if one is running the "free" version of the beta, will clicking the "update" button in the "status" menu download the new version?

Since Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 has no golden trojan horse anymore will you remove it from Online Armor too? (And what about your website?)

I think I'll miss it a bit since I still know it from good-old a² times. :blush: But I can surely understand that it doesn't fit to the modern look of the design.