Unscheduled Scan

mdakins

I am running Anti-Malware v5.1.0.16 and doing a daily scheduled scan. I also have SUPERAntiSpyware installed and running but no other security software. I an running Windows XP Home SP3.

When I first installed Anti-Malware I set it to scan at midnight. This has since become inconvenient but when I have tried to change it it ignores me and starts the scan at midnight anyway. I recently became aware that it is actually scanning twice a day; once at midnight and again at whatever time I set it to scan at. Since it was set to start at 1:00 AM for a long time and doesn't complete in an hour, I don't even know what it was doing when, in mid-scan at 1:00 AM the timer whould have tried to restart it. It is currently set to scan at 2:01 AM which I think provides enough time for the first scan to complete but I find only one open report when I get up in the morning.

How do I stop the unscheduled and undesired midnight scan?

First of all, can you clear all scheduled scan settings, please. Do you have any scheduled tasks configured that use a batch file to start a scan? Please check and disable those too, if present.

Post back tomorrow and let us know if a scan has taken place.

OK, I opened <Anti-Malware Security Status> and clicked on <Scheduled Scans: on> making it <Scheduled Scans: off>.

No scan ran last night. I was up past midnight and so knew that no scan started at midnight and now see that no can ran later either. What next?

Mark

Hi Guys,

Sorry for intervening :) There are few things to consider/ask.

Hi mdakins , welcome to the forum

1) re:

I recently became aware that it is actually scanning twice a day; once at midnight and again at whatever time I set it to scan at.
Probably I'm misinterpreting, but “...and again at whatever time I set it to scan at...” means that you set “Interval” as well?

If not

2) where you setting up just scheduled scan or “Custom Scheduled scan” , where “Scan Settings File” was entered? Why I am asking – there is a bug , which I posted to the developers already :

If scanset <>.a2s path is incorrect (several reasons can be named) or disk/folder for the scheduled scan doesn't exist (say, moved/ removed, etc) you can face another “unscheduled”, so to speak, scan(s).

Therefore that particular area has to be checked as well

My regards

P.S. An a side note : there is no need to wait and staying up at midnight ;) … unless that particular time frame is a suspect.

Just set the needed scan time / interval / custom scheduling / etc. to the closest time when you can test being near the PC. You always can wait until scan end or you can stop the scan and see if an unexpected / "undesired" one will be fired. Cheers!