Fabian Wosar

Forum software updated to 3.2.1

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed we have upgraded the forum software. Invision Power Board 3.2 offers a lot of interesting and useful new features that many of you have been asking for for a very long time. Be aware that everyone is currently limited to the default skin until we get the new skin ready. In the meantime: If you find any issue or problem please drop me a PM or reply here.

I am using Opera 11.50.

With the new forum layout I cannot add attachments.

If I choose a jpg from 'my pictures' and upload it then press 'attach' button, an error message appears saying I haven't selected anything to attach.

I also find it very difficult to copy and paste a link into a post using Opera. If I double click on the 'paste' it may appear, it may not, mostly not.

No issues using IE8

The new skin is much better than the one we had this morning :)

Can I ask if you will be making the 'bug reporting' links for beta testers available again at the top of the forum?

Cannot see them in Opera or IE8, signed in the forum or signed out.

How come your screenie shows the horse?

OK I see the horse and the bug reporting now.

Will you be able to show them in the other skin as well?

Added them to the default skin as well and I force switched all users to the Emsisoft theme. If people prefer the IP Board default theme they can switch back manually.

Greetings all!

This layout definitely looks much better & clearer

Small suggestion at the moment:

"Terms of Use" better be set as another Tab at the top, so everyone (basically guests in mind) can see/click/read it

At the moment the lil-grey-link is pretty much hidden at the bottom right of forum's page

Cheers!

My avatar looks stretched :o . Can you turn it back anyway?

Hi Ray,

Mine was stretched too , but you can go trough editing profile & adjust cropping

It will be better , but still will not look like it was before

Your JPG was 97x75 mine was 61x90

It seems like GIFs , which are even bigger (say 90x90) will be accepted properly and look as "unchanged"

I'm not sure yet why and haven't converted mine into GIF , which is not an issue at all but, honestly not a big deal ;)

Cheers!

Should topics still be listed as hot when they are closed and have been for weeks? (in particular OA and EAM beta forums)

If I strike through a word and then want to carry on writing normally I cannot 'unclick' the strike through button. I can choose another button e.g. bold which turns off strike through but then my words are bolded!!

Only way I seem to be able to sort things is by using the Toggle Editing mode on far left.

Here is what happens without toggle edit button...

Hello and welcome to the new forum. It seems like you are clicking them off but they turn back on....

Hi stapp,

I'm trying to reproduce what you are saying <--- "what you are saying" was not intended to be "strike through"

... and yes <<Toggle edit mode>>> fixed that

More over, if you switch to "More edit options", all controls are dimmed & unavailable ... unless somehow you would click on dimmed <<Toggle edit mode>> again and that will work

Cheers!

Hello,

With the new forum layout the Firefox password manager doesn't work.

Firefox saves the password and the user name I enter in the form but If I clear the browser cache and visit again the forum, password and user name are not automatically entered in the form by Firefox - so I have to manually enter both of them each time.

Regards,

N.

System Info:

Windows XP Pro SP3

Firefox 5.0

Hi,

I noticed some incompatibilities with IE9. Can't login because the login popup doesn't appear.

I have to enable the IE8-Compatibility-Mode to login.

Forums changed again?

I usually sit quiet but this time I have to speak out. Please, warn us when you are about to make upgrades to forums. Use announcements, e-mails, PM. I'm sure that you (as admins, mods) are capable of doing so and board engine allow doing it.

By upgrading this forum w/o any warning (I was here two days ago - didn't see any announcements) you're creating more trouble then it's really needed :)

Forums changed again?

They changed in a way that most of you demanded anyways - using sub forums instead of prefixes. The prefixes were removed simply because they work completely different in IPB 3.2 then in 3.1.

By upgrading this forum w/o any warning (I was here two days ago - didn't see any announcements) you're creating more trouble then it's really needed :)

If we see the necessity to update the forum software we will do it - especially when they include critical bug fixes. I would choose having to deal with a handful of users who complain about broken bookmarks or the fact that nobody informed them about an incoming update over having to explain to a raging crowd that their private information was stolen because we wanted to give them a 24 hour heads up before applying the patch anytime.

I applied the newest update today that supposedly fixes about 170 bugs. Since there isn't a detailed change log I can't say for sure if any of those fixes addressed problems mentioned in this thread. So I would highly appreciate it if you could verify whether or not the issues you reported so far have been fixed. Thanks.

If we see the necessity to update the forum software we will do it - especially when they include critical bug fixes. I would choose having to deal with a handful of users who complain about broken bookmarks or the fact that nobody informed them about an incoming update over having to explain to a raging crowd that their private information was stolen because we wanted to give them a 24 hour heads up before applying the patch anytime.

This statement could only be true only when we assume that upgrading IP.Board broke previous skin and it had to be replaced by new one, with new functionality, is that the case?

Also, is there a way to revert back to classic editing mode instead this WYSIWYG ? I can use "Toggle Editing Mode" but it also disables all BBCode buttons above edit field.

P.S.

I though that discussion about new forum skins would be held in Feedback forums, now I see that this matter is discussed in News section. Since I'm referring in my posts to the most recent forum skin changes, it could be wise and beneficial if our recent posts would be merged with existing thread in News forums.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings all

1) It seems to me that the issue reported by stapp in #16 and further confirmed by me was fixed

2) No issues whatsoever here with IE9 as Hachi' reported in #19

3) the avatar problem is still in place , but again - not a biggie

It's just a matter of having clear note(s) re: accepted images formats / size/ etc. now compare to previous implementation

Cheers!

Things seemed to be fixed now re the use of strike through, bolding etc.

Thanks Fabian

P.S I like my avatar even better now!!

1) It seems to me that the issue reported by stapp in #16 and further confirmed by me was fixed

Things seemed to be fixed now re the use of strike through, bolding etc.

Thank you for confirming that

I am still having trouble with copy and paste using Opera 11.50.

If I right-click copy the words 'Thanks Fabian' from the post above, I cannot paste it in this post if i do the right-click paste more than an inch away from the flashing insert curser.

In other words in order to paste the words 'Thanks Fabian' I have to do right click here

Hi stapp,

I just copy/ pasted from you latest reply using Opera 11.50

<< If I right-click copy the words 'Thanks Fabian' >>

No issues whatsoever

Tested on XP pro 32bit as well

My regards

p.s. "latest latest" typo was fixed after uploading image and I got your system's specs so that was edited a well :)

... still using Opera 11.50 to send this message (including flash 9 uploader needed for Opera :blink: )

@Lynx

I discovered that I can copy and paste but only if I make sure that the right-click dialog popup is positioned on top of the flashing cursor where pasted words are to be placed.

It wasn't necessary to do that before, I only had to right click anywhere in the message box area to apply the paste.

It is not really important as I now the workaround now.

...I discovered that I can copy and paste but only if I make sure that the right-click dialog popup is positioned on top of the flashing cursor where pasted words are to be placed....

...It is not really important as I now the workaround now.

Thanks fore the reply, stapp,

If you are happy with "workaround" - fine ... but I never needed any workaround

Basically I'm never using right-click for copy/paste for ages .... just simple Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V

This time I tested right-click - no issues as a result

I'm not really sure what do you mean by "on top of the flashing cursor" ?

thumb_4497062Opera___new_11-50_EmsiSoft_Forum_layout.png I just never had any flashing cursor whether I would highlight few words or just double-click on a single word in order to highlight it

Anyway , if you are saying that it's not really important - we can forget about it :)

Cheers!

@Lynx

I discovered that I can copy and paste but only if I make sure that the right-click dialog popup is positioned on top of the flashing cursor where pasted words are to be placed.

It wasn't necessary to do that before, I only had to right click anywhere in the message box area to apply the paste.

It is not really important as I now the workaround now.

Can confirm that Stapp. What it needs is space to go into, ie. if you press enter to move to a new line it can be entered into the line above, or press the spacebar to create a space for it to be entered.

Regarding the new layout I really don't like it. Before when you clicked on new content the relative forums were listed down the centre - now it is just a mess.

Also when replying to a post further up the page and pressing 'Quote' you were taken to the reply forum. Now it is entered at the bottom of the page but you are not taken there.

Using Opera 11.50. Win XP

Yeah. I removed it as the default skin will update automatically with each patch and I simply don't have the time to keep 2 different themes updated with our modifications for the Testers.

No problem... I can see your point.

I only mentioned it in case it wasn't supposed to disappear :)

Regarding the new layout I really don't like it. Before when you clicked on new content the relative forums were listed down the centre - now it is just a mess.

Can you post a screenshot please? I don't really understand what you are talking about.

Also when replying to a post further up the page and pressing 'Quote' you were taken to the reply forum. Now it is entered at the bottom of the page but you are not taken there.

What reply forum are you talking about? Again a screenshot would be extremely helpful.

Firefox password manager still doesn't work properly.

I can reproduce it but there is little I can do about it except forward it to Mozilla as this appears to be a Firefox bug and not an issue with the board software itself. As a work around you can "middle click" the login button to get to the actual login page instead of the AJAX login form. There your credentials will be filled in correctly.

As a work around you can "middle click" the login button to get to the actual login page instead of the AJAX login form. There your credentials will be filled in correctly.

Thank you, Fabian. I found out the same work around this morning and I was going to post it here.

This statement could only be true only when we assume that upgrading IP.Board broke previous skin and it had to be replaced by new one, with new functionality, is that the case?

It is.

Also, is there a way to revert back to classic editing mode instead this WYSIWYG ? I can use "Toggle Editing Mode" but it also disables all BBCode buttons above edit field.

No, there isn't. It is possible to disable it for all users on the entire forum but we won't disable it. The number of people preferring the WYSIWYG editor vastly outnumbers the number of people who prefer the old editor.

Can you post a screenshot please? I don't really understand what you are talking about.

What reply forum are you talking about? Again a screenshot would be extremely helpful.

Hi Fabian

Regarding the forum layout, I am enclosing a screenshot. I have marked an area in red where the forum relating to the subject on the left was placed.

On the replying part. This seems to happen only the first time after logging in. What happens is that you click on 'Quote' (assuming that the bottom of the page is not visible) and nothing changes on the screen, but the quote is entered correctly if you scroll to the bottom. However after you try this once it then performs correctly.

Hope you understand this.

Regarding the forum layout, I am enclosing a screenshot. I have marked an area in red where the forum relating to the subject on the left was placed.

This is not a change we introduced but was introduced by IPS. Our skin is just a slightly changed version of their default IPB skin (essentially just a few graphics and colors were changed). I can only speculate about their reasons but most likely I won't change it because it will just complicate future upgrades.

You gather "Likes" if a user clicks the "Like This" button on the bottom right of one of your posts. We had that kind of reputation system disabled previously because it was not only possible to "thumb up" posts but to "thumb" them "down" as well. As a result some idiots thought it was fun ganging up on people and bring their reputation down to negative numbers which is why I disabled it. But because the forum software now has a Facebook-like "Like" system I enabled it again as it is no longer possible to gang up on other users and vote their content down.

As far as I know there is no easy way for a normal user to see all likes he received. I can look it up as an Administrator and you can subscribe to a notification on each received Like. But there is no special history or anything like that if I remember correctly.

• Upvote 1

Say I am in a pm conversation with 2 other people and there is info in it that I want to save.

If I select ''archive conversation'' where it says 'send copy of this conversation to [email protected] pretend.com', this just does send the conversation to me and not the others in the conversation?

Do they get told that I have done this?

If I select ''archive conversation'' where it says 'send copy of this conversation to [email protected] pretend.com', this just does send the conversation to me and not the others in the conversation?

Do they get told that I have done this?

I haven't tried it. I would assume that you alone get the conversation via mail and they don't get any notification. Just out of curiosity I used the function on our latest PM conversation. So you can verify whether or not you got a notification about it.

Even if you didn't I don't see too much of a problem. All this feature does is generate a HTML file from the conversation. It's the same as saving the conversation page using your browser or making a screenshot really.

I didn't get a notification that you had requested a copy of conversation.

It was just out of curiosity that I asked, it is a new forum feature and it's nice to be sure about how they work.