Sign in to follow this  
judson

Necessity of HIPS on Windows 7 x64 with UAC and Firewall enabled

Windows Firewall doesn't contain a HIPS like OA so it doesn't monitor what programs can run or can't run. It only controls whether a program is allowed to use a network "connection" (eg, to the Internet), but not whether the program is allowed to run in the first place or create autoruns etc.

Is that correct for W7 (firewall) - in particular W7 x64 - with UAC at its default setting?

Is that correct for W7 (firewall) - in particular W7 x64 - with UAC at its default setting?

Windows Firewall is not a HIPS. UAC isn't a HIPS either, though I don't see how this is relevant as the OP's question wasn't about UAC. UAC is designed to alert you when a process requires administrative privileges. It's not going to alert you to a program trying to log keystrokes or wanting internet access etc like a HIPS does.

Windows Firewall is not a HIPS. UAC isn't a HIPS either, though I don't see how this is relevant as the OP's question wasn't about UAC. UAC is designed to alert you when a process requires administrative privileges. It's not going to alert you to a program trying to log keystrokes or wanting internet access etc like a HIPS does.

My post was not about UAC. It was about W7. The OP requested advice about behaviour of OA compared with the behaviour of the W7 firewall (W7 x64). Your reply may well be correct if UAC is disabled. However, UAC is enabled by default, and the W7 firewall is configurable (inbound and outbound control).

I can assure you that UAC does more than just "alert you when a process requires administrative privileges".

Do you use W7?

So are you saying that windows 7 firewall with antimalware is not safe enough if not could you recomend some alternate firewalls please