Christian Mairoll

Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall 5.1 Final available!

pp_status.png

Hi guys,

after a long period of extensive testing, Emsisoft presents the final version of Online Armor Firewall 5.1!

You can find the setup here: http://www.emsisoft....tware/download/

What is new in Online Armor 5.1?

• Greatly increased compatibility and stability with other applications
    We focused on improving the compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with products like Google Chrome, Sandboxie, Panda Cloud AV and others.
  • Overhauled white list settings
    We changed the white list settings slightly. In addition it is now possible to optionally trust all digitally signed files that were signed using a certificate that hasn't been used in connection with fraudulent or malicious activities in the past.
  • New upload feature
    You are not sure about a certain program? You can now easily upload it to the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network and get the file scanned using Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Automatic updates also in the Freeware version
    Users with the Freeware version can also take advantage of automatic updates. This is a major enhancement to the Freeware version since the blacklists and whitelists are updated on a daily basis.
  • More than 100 other bug fixes
    More than 100 reported bugs and issues in Online Armor 5.0 are fixed in 5.1. Those fixes include for example a recently reported vulnerability with Sinowal drive-by downloads, freezes during the SCW, freezes when executing applications from network shares, various Online Armor GUI freezes, cases where Online Armor forgot about certain application rules as well as many others.

How do I install Online Armor 5.1?

If you already have Online Armor Premium or ++ installed, run an online update to get the latest version automatically. Alternatively you can download and execute the setup linked above to do a fresh installation (required for Online Armor Free).

We want your feedback!

Have you started or found a thread about Online Armor 5.1 in a different forum? Do you like or dislike a specific planned change? Do you have questions about one of the changes or do you encounter a problem you need help with? Don't keep them to yourself. Share them with us! Either by simply replying here or via mail.

Nice! Good job. :)

Any notable changes between the beta build 5.1.0.1315 and the final 5.1.0.1331?

"Automatic updates also in the Freeware version" ;)

Best regards,

Andrey.

Oh, totaly missed that!

This is a major enhancement to the Freeware version since the blacklists and whitelists are updated on a daily basis.
Hm...is this something new? I didn't know that. I've set the update interval to "Every 12 Hours" long ago but I really didn't notice any update for weeks. Are they totaly silent? Is there a way to check if that "blacklists and whitelists" update worked successfully? I don't see anything under "History".

Oh and while we're at it: I've set Online Armor that it automatically trusts programs signed with digital signatures. Is Emsisoft aware of the Diginotar breach and revoked all the invalid signatures? So, do I get a warning if I execute a program with a stolen signature? (Like for example the "calc.exe" signed with the stolen "*.google.com" signature: http://pastebin.com/jhz20PqJ)

Hello,

Just a quick note to let you know that at each boot these two items (OA components) are shown in History:

(In both images I've also included the bottom line which describes the actions).

In the previous version, the same thing used to happen with OADump.exe: http://support.emsis...__fromsearch__1

System Info:

Win XP Pro SP3

Avast! Free AV 6.0.1289

Online Armor Free 5.1.0.1331

Automatic updates also in the Freeware version

With the exception of blacklist and whitelist items, If a program update (let's say a module or a new program version) is available, will OA Free automatically download and install it or just notify the user (as usual)?

Kind regards,

N.

With the exception of blacklist and whitelist items, If a program update (let's say a module or a new program version) is available, will OA Free automatically download and install it or just notify the user (as usual)?

Kind regards,

N.

It should download and install it.

EDIT:

just a bit of clarification: updates will be downloaded and installed starting with v5.1.0.1331 only (for the free versions).

Best regards,

Andrey.

It should download and install it.

Thank you, Andrey. Regarding those two items in History at each boot, is it a "purely cosmetic" issue?

Oh and while we're at it: I've set Online Armor that it automatically trusts programs signed with digital signatures. Is Emsisoft aware of the Diginotar breach and revoked all the invalid signatures?

The certificate check performed by our products is based on the Microsoft Trust APIs and therefore honors your certification chain settings. So if you marked the Diginotar CAs as not trustworthy or installed the recent Windows update, Online Armor will not trust any certificate issued by Diginotar.

So, do I get a warning if I execute a program with a stolen signature?

We don't warn you when you execute a program with a stolen or otherwise invalid signature. Instead they are treated as if they were unsigned.

Hello,

Another quick note to let you know that the little issue I reported here (OA not remembering Learning Mode after Microsoft updates + reboot) seems solved - fingers crossed :D

Kind regards,

N.

2 Online Armor 5.1 issues.

1. OA doesn't seem to be remembering all the files after doing the trust everything on the computer wizard. It really has problems with the MS Office 2010 Pro Outlook files. Snipping, Getbot 3 & other apps have to be manually allowed when you run them.

2. Some downloaded malware files are remaining open in OA and you cannot delete them. It is a more frequent issue in 5.1 than it was in 5.0. (This issue usually occurs while collecting malware samples for submission.)