Sign in to follow this  
Anti

2 queries: free version & activex

1)

I'm still using the free version (4.5.1.431.free) last updated 15th Jan 2011.

I see on the OA site that the download for the free version has disappeared.

Does that mean only the paid version exists now, if I want to stay up to date?

2)

OA has been nicely chugging away in the background for the last few months.

Quite often a piece of website will have a message about activeX being blocked OA.

This hasn't been a problem the majority of the time, because usually it's flash adverts.

On the occasion that it's an embedded video that I want to watch, I can click the link in the message to unblock it.

However, tonight there was a video I urgently needed to watch. It was a .swf which was embedded into a pop-up window.

It wouldn't load, even after I turned of the firewall and web shield. So I looked for a setting to disable the blocking of

activeX and couldn't find it - it seems like this feature is permanently enabled. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Hi Anti,

I'm still using the free version (4.5.1.431.free) last updated 15th Jan 2011.

I see on the OA site that the download for the free version has disappeared.

Does that mean only the paid version exists now, if I want to stay up to date?

I just checked the Online Armor download page and the Free download is still listed there. May I ask when exactly you checked the site? We did some changes for the Online Armor 5.1 release today. So there is a slight chance that you visited our site while some content was still in the process of updating and therefore missing.

However, tonight there was a video I urgently needed to watch. It was a .swf which was embedded into a pop-up window.

It wouldn't load, even after I turned of the firewall and web shield. So I looked for a setting to disable the blocking of

activeX and couldn't find it - it seems like this feature is permanently enabled. Am I correct?

Actually the WebShield has been removed quite a while ago because of various compatibility problems and the fact that most modern browsers allow a much more fine grained control active content on a web page than the WebShield could ever do. If the video still doesn't load with Online Armor updated to version 5.1 it would be quite helpful if you could provide a link to the website that hosts the video you try to watch. If you don't want to share it publicly you can send it via private message as well :).

Thanks for the reply.

> I just checked the Online Armor download page and the Free download is still listed there.

Ah... I was looking on this site:http://www.emsisoft.com/en/ which links to here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/oa/

and which seemingly only has the paid version available. Thanks for the link to the other website.

I have no idea why my current version hasn't been updating, since I manually click the 'check for updates' link regularly.

I'll install v5.1 manually though, and see how it goes from there.

> it would be quite helpful if you could provide a link to the website that hosts the video you try to watch. If you don't

> want to share it publicly you can send it via private message as well

lol.. it's ok, it was an animation software training video - nothing terribly private or embarrassing.

If I can't get it to run after updating I'll post the page.

Thanks.

> Actually the WebShield has been removed quite a while ago

Weird... I upgraded 4.5.1.431.free to 5.1.0.1331.free, and apart from the GUI, everything is the same.

Webshield is still there, and the activeX block is still there.

I'll do a complete uninstall and reinstall to see if that makes a difference.

FYI, the video that I'm trying to watch is here: http://www.creatoon.com/tips.php

I'm clicking on the 'Creating a basic animation' link.

I can play it now that OA is uninstalled. It's not actually activeX - just a swf embedded using the object tag.

Cheers.

Came back to say... OA doesn't seem as quiet and automatic as it used to be. I'm getting manual pop-ups for an awful lot of operating system and Microsoft stuff that should really have been automatically dealt with. It's still not quite as bad as some of the other firewalls, but definitely not as large a difference as there used to be.

Also, I can't turn off the firewall status icon using the tray notification settings. Maybe it will go away after a reboot. Annoying if not.

Apart from that, everything seems fine. Thank you for continuing to provide a free version of OA.

Have you tried turning off the firewall status icon in OA options - firewall tab, look for tickbox saying show firewall activity in tray ?

Thanks... that was it. Unusual for a program's option to over-ride the OS setting.

I guess it could be a security consideration though.

Cheers!