a-squared Anti-Malware + txt file behaviour

korben

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have any other security software installed apart from Online Armour?

Which program are you using to open the text files? Is the same one that is associated with text files?

Have you tried excluding the program from monitoring by A2?

• Upvote 1

Hi korben, and welcome to the forum

The problem you are describing was not reported before.

We may just guess and assume that by

... the same one that is associated with text files...
you mean the default “Notepad”, but that may not be necessarily the case.

What are the size of the file(s) opened, or that doesn't matter?

Would the slowness occur if you open the Editor and then choose the file, but not invoke Notepad by double-clicking <>.txt?

Can you please check that before making new rules (see below)

As for exclusion basically you do that by creating /editing Application rules

as it's described here

But there could be few things to test:

- excluding the Notepad itself from monitoring in Anti-Malware (A-M) as H_D suggested;

- excluding the Notepad itself from monitoring by Online Armor's (OA) program control / (HIPS);

- adding mutual exclusion regarding A-M and OA

Please try those experiments separately and tell whether any of the above would have any effect

My regards

• Upvote 1

I did this:

2vknbdt.jpg

And the problem persists.

In OA notepad is hidden as it is trusted by default. The issue was nonexistent until installing A-M.

edit//just observed odd behaviour [or unusual in my opinion]

a popup says:

uploaded 1kb

no info on this in log

what was uploaded?

I think it was allowed before, but monitored.

So, the suggestion was trying to Exclude.

Another thing just to test since you haven't tried mutual exclusion yet, as I understand, is to leave the Rule in A-M as it was before (the default) and temporarily disable all Application Controls in OA in order to see how A-M is managing that by itself.

My regards

P.S.{added} and sure as H_D pointed you are not answering some questions unfortunately.

Have you tried opening txt from within Notepad, for example?

• Upvote 1

...just observed odd behaviour ...

a popup says: "uploaded 1kb"

....no info on this in log...what was uploaded?

You added some info while we were answering

What was the precise pop-up. When that happened? ...

... when you were opening Notepad or that is unrelated?

Can you capture the image if that will happen again, so we can see who's pop-up was that?

1] excluded - no success

2] removed the rule. disabled Program Guard in OA - no success

3] opening txt from within Notepad - same behaviour observed i.e. they open but it takes 20 seconds

4] the precise pop-up: "uploaded 1kb" - yes, it was unrelated and no, never seen again

Show hidden icons revealed ThredFire

my bad, I clean forgot its existence...

Wow! :o That would be small thing to forget :rolleyes:"ThreatFire"... you mean (?)

And?... Please tell if you found the cause related to that.

====== most likely redundant info below :)

Anyway since I prepared some after reading your previous reply I will post it ... even if nothing applies it may help in other situations

=======

I am not sure I can see how that related to A-M at the moment from the description, except you are saying that disabling the guard helps.

I am not using Vista but I hope that H_D may help to provide Properties info for the standard Notepad and you can do the same.

a side note: that may not relate but still … If you search out there there are reports for Vista slow file opening (notepad included) but as I briefly noticed that was in time of SP1

Any reasons that you are still using SP1 but not SP2?

You didn't answer the question about the size of files you are opening and whether that matters?

Can you try to open any other file with Notepad like .log/ .ini. Will you experience the same effect?

Are you using any add-ons / typing enhancements for Notepad?

Well, again not really A-M related but there are several things that improve file opening and in Notepad in particular:

- try to uncheck Word Wrapping – that really reduces opening time, but for big files.

- In Explorer / File Options / View Tab find and uncheck "automaticaly search for network folders and printers "

Have you ever connected this PC to the LAN?

There is a weird thing: when you do the above some associations for opening files can be changed for network names “\\” in the Registry and another interesting article comes to mind (but I cannot find it right now) programs' network rules could be set that they are accessing particular IP addresses

and when PC is disconnected that is still happening until that times out. Therefore, there is a delay that could be around 30 seconds before the file opens normally.

You may check if there are network activities when you are opening files with Notepad.

Any logged events in the System/Application Event viewer at the moments when you are using Notepad?

You can clean IDS Log and check what is logged there as well at that time.

Not much help and no more ideas at this point.

My regards

• Upvote 2

Lynx, that's the most in-depth input I've ever seen, mate

KUDOS

I'm afraid I don't have the time to fiddle with those settings. [impatient son-of-a-gun I am]

The txt files weigh 3kb, 15kb... you can't say they're big

ThreatFire, slip of the key ;)

I tried suspending it - no success

Any reasons that you are still using SP1 but not SP2?

I found SP2 more troublesome on my rig/ less stable

Opening a log file has the same results - i.e. ver slow

Are you using any add-ons / typing enhancements for Notepad?

nope

Word Wrapping

but I like it....

LAN - D-link connected, can see my sister's laptop, cannot view its content though

what info do you want me to gather from it?

520w3c.png

korben,

It is very late here - 3:30 AM,so I will return to this tomorrow.

but if the PC is indeed connected (with problems in addition... "cannot view its content")- the 1st thing to test is to disconnect another PC and test.

Sometimes it is even helpful not only cut the LAN but even unplug or at least to disable Internet connection and see whether that has a positive effect...

{added #2} do the tweak with "automaticaly search for network folders and printers" too after that

{added}... and yes... eliminate ThreadFire temporarily as well

That can be a separate test before the networking one.

C ya 2morrow. Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Good morning, korben

First, instead of just shutting down whole Guard try separately disabling “onExecution Scan” scan only and then “Malware-IDS” only.

The reason for testing “onExecution” being disabled, despite that is a long shot:

In the past there were reports that opening large media files of certain type by double-clicking will cause scanning the media too with substantial delay.

But when I asked the user to test invoking the the Player 1st and after that opening the media file - that worked perfectly fast.

You answered already that “opening from inside” doesn't help. Still please test disabling “onExecution”.

=======

Nobody insisting on deeper investigation, that's your choice but “cutting off net connection” is not all. That may not be the case, but if you are testing that - there are ways to check whether there still are attempts to “connect” if suspected...

Just out curiosity for testing you may try different free notepad.

Set association with .TXT and observe its behaviour

Here is one of the lists of Notepad Alternatives

Those have many additional features, most of them, if not all are multi-document.

You may not need all that, but that's just for testing or use it if that's working fine & fast.

You always can go back when & if the cause of the main problem was found.

Notepad ++ can be installed as Portable Application , so you don't mess with the Registry (just delete the folder later and that's all)

That's interesting and innovative method to solve “small problem” by getting new laptop and OS (we all should try that :) )

Just a reminder.

Since I mentioned temporary shutting down ThreadFire (TF) in order to test – if you will uninstall A-M from old PC in order to reinstall on a new system, you can save/leave TF, otherwise I would suggest not using it alongside with A-M.

Cheers!

P.S. 1) after having the morning coffee I looked back to the image you provided.

It is not the best quality, but most importantly that is the overall view

What was asked to look at is – drill deeper into Applications, etc. and see whether there are events at the time of running Notepad.

2) I had no time yet to find your uncle :D

• Upvote 2

It is a shame that you are unwilling to sort this out. We are not convinced this is an A2 problem, but it would be good to successfully eliminate it as the cause.

If you discover the cause of the problem could you post back with the information, please?

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

It is a shame that you are unwilling to sort this out. We are not convinced this is an A2 problem, but it would be good to successfully eliminate it as the cause.

If you discover the cause of the problem could you post back with the information, please?

Good luck!

Hi,

I'm a new user of a-squared Anti-Malware. Been running it for 3 days now, and i'm very pleased with it. However. Since i installed a-m i have the exact same issue with Notepad (behaves sluggish) as above. So. I really think it *is* an A2 related problem. Honestly.

For what it's worth, i'm running XP SP3.

mickel :)

EDIT:

I have excluded Notepad.exe in Application Rules (Background Guard). Doesn't help.

I just tried with disabling OnExecution Scan completely. And voilâ. Notepad behaves normally. Turning on the OnExecution Scan again give me back the issues.

To be honest it's nothing to get very upset about, but it's a tad annoying. :)

... Since i installed a-m i have the exact same issue with Notepad as above. So. I really think it *is* an A2 related problem. Honestly...

Hi mickel, and welcome to the forum.

Actually you quoted H_D's post where he (we :) ) were disappointed that user "gave up" an did not answer questions asked and did not provide more info regarding the problem.

Let's hope you will be able to be more descriptive and give developers more information to work with.

In addition your case could be different and have some specifics

My regards

Thanks. I just edited my post above. Please let me know if you want some further info. :)

EDIT:

Downloaded portable Notepad++ and associated txt-files with it. No problems whatsoever. So. There seems to be a problem with MS's Notepad.exe and A-M. :)

...EDIT:

I have excluded Notepad.exe in Application Rules (Background Guard). Doesn't help.

I just tried with disabling OnExecution Scan completely. And voilâ. Notepad behaves normally. Turning on the OnExecution Scan again give me back the issues.

To be honest it's nothing to get very upset about, but it's a tad annoying. :)

Thanks for reply and additional info, mickel

I am not sure that "disabling OnExecution Scan completely" is a correct solution :rolleyes:

Can you please provide more details for developers in addition to the OS you mentioned

as in #2) of Posting Rules

Cheers!

I am not sure that "disabling OnExecution Scan completely" is a correct solution :rolleyes:

LOL. Neither am I. Kinda defeats the purpose, doesnt it. :)

Ok. Some specs:

Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free

No other security app running in the background.

Just for the h*ll of it i'm attaching an image of my running processes atm:

processes.png

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi korben,

Thanks for coming back with this and sharing with us solving

"ThreatFire + a-squared + OA = problem" formula :)

I remember shouting "woW!" when you forgot about TF

as for the image and

...tell me, plz wise gents why this prog uploads stuff from my laptop?

The only thought that comes to mind at the moment - please look at you Configuration

Is "Submit names of detected malware" option is checked?

... and sure, were there any flaggings recently?

Cheers!

I am not at my machine at the moment so this is from memory.

When you initiate a manual update the program sends the application rules and alert responses you set to EMSI. I assume it does this if you choose to take part in the community alert feature.

Hopefully, a developer can correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong!

j/k

came back to testify :D

I got tired of a-squared Anti-Malware, after using it for a month...I don't like the way it looks, acts and stops my txt files from being opened FAST.

No sooner had I uninstalled a-squared Anti-Malware than it dawned on me how fast my laptop really is w/o it.

I thought removig TF was the key to success but had a tingling notion somewhere in my nose I was duped by this assumption. Opening txt files was much much faster but not fast enough...not as fast as it used to be so I got rid of A-M.

Now, only OA in my tray and back to NORMAL.

BTW. a-squared Anti-Malware is a very good product nonetheless.

• 5 months later...

First of all. I'm sorry for digging up this old thread. But i'm doing it because it seems like the issue with sluggish Notepad/txt behavior has been fixed with the EAM 5 release. After upgrading i don't have any issues with NP and txt-files.

Ok. After i initially installed asquared AM and started having the issue i installed Notepad++ (no issues wihen using that instead of Notepad) and i learned to love it. So i won't switch back to Notepad. But still. :)