Sign in to follow this  
Nick

OA hangs when I start downloading Defraggler installation file

Hello,

When I download a new version of Defraggler from Piriform servers (hxxp://www.piriform....wnload/standard), the whole system hangs for about a minute. Then the download starts but soon after it fails.

If I try again (with the same installation file), everything works fine.

This happens with every new release of Defraggler, but only the first time I try to download a brand-new installation file.

I suppose that OA (with the whole system) hangs only the first time it tries to recognize the file using OASIS in real time. Next time, no issue.

This has started with OA 5.x

When OA hangs, the History tab shows this event:

Summary: Program Guard: kernel event

Description: OADriver: - 655 SignalAndWaitForAnswerEx - TIMEOUT. pid = 1500 tid = 1684

Event type: Kernel event(26)

Event action: None(1)

Processes:

--------

Win XP Pro SP3

Avast! Free AV 6.0.1289

Online Armor Free 5.1.0.1331

(Security software mutually excluded)

Firefox 6.0.2

Kind regards,

N.

Defraggler checks with each new download you make if you have the latest version ( as does Ccleaner ) If in some way you are stopping the internet connection for it it will time out and then give up.

I wrote "when I download a new version".

I mean, when I download it from their website using my browser - please, for details see my original message.

I tried downloading Defraggler in Firefox 6.0.2 here just now and didn't notice any hangs. I'm not running Avast, though that may be unrelated.

If you have something like Process Explorer (or you can customize the View in Task Manager), you could check the PID (Process ID) to see what program that history entry refers to. I guess it may just be Firefox, but I did wonder if Explorer could be trying to verify a digital signature.

Like Cat I have tried downloading Defraggler. Tried Sandboxed, unsandboxed, using IE8 and Opera. No hangs on download.

Process Explorer does sound a good bet to try.

Thanks catprincess and thanks stapp.

Unfortunately Process Explorer doesn't show anything with PID=1500 (only 1508 which is an Avast! service).

I tried again to download the file and check the PE window to no avail. I suppose this is because OA hangs only the first time I try to download a new Defraggler's installation file. With all the other attempts after the first, no hangs on download.

The odd thing is that it has only happened with Defraggler's installation file and it has also happened every time I tried to downolad the file with my father's laptop (some software/OS, different hardware).

It would interesting to know if anyone else using Avast with OA experiences the same problem or whether this is unrelated.

Do you have any custom block rules for Firefox or Windows Explorer for internet access?

Do you have any custom block rules for Firefox or Windows Explorer for internet access?

Yes catprincess, but only for Firefox:

*Port 12080: Avast! Proxy

DId you happen to have Firewall logging enabled at the time to see if any connections were blocked?

No, it was disabled.

Do you know what does this mean:

OADriver: - 655 SignalAndWaitForAnswerEx - TIMEOUT. pid = 1500 tid = 1684

At first I thought the problem was related to OA contacting OASIS...

I guess the process is trying to complete a task and needs some form of response in order to do so. It seems to be getting no response (which is probably causing the hang), and then eventually times out. What exactly it's trying to do though, I don't know. I thought perhaps it was trying to make a connection, and being blocked from doing so and perhaps this was causing the trouble but I am only speculating on this.

Thanks again. I will try to retrieve more information the next time I download a new version of the installation file - I suspect there's some hidden process involved in the task and this perhaps could explain why the "processes" field of the History's event is empty (I am speculating) :

Description: OADriver: - 655 SignalAndWaitForAnswerEx - TIMEOUT. pid = 1500 tid = 1684

Processes:

You could always turn on OA debugging just before you do the download Nick.

It may show something in the logs then that Andrey could see.

As for my original post, unexpectedly the same issue happened today when I was trying to download the new build of CCleaner from Piriform servers (http://www.piriform....wnload/standard) - unfortunately OA debugging was turned off, but this time I was able to check the PID and see what program the History entry refers to:

Created: 04/10/2011 21.18.46

Description: OADriver: - 329 SignalAndWaitForAnswerEx - TIMEOUT. pid = 1500 tid = 1596

Processes:

PID 1500: AvastSvc.exe

It's the Avast! AV main service.

Also, this time there were no custom block rules for Firefox.

----

Win XP Pro SP3

Avast! Free AV 6.0.1289

Online Armor Free 5.1.0.1331

(Security software mutually excluded)

Firefox 7.0.1