Christian Mairoll

Official Online Armor ++ roadmap

As some of you already noticed, we have removed Online Armor ++ from the www.emsisoft.com website.

This is our current roadmap for Online Armor++:

Our long term goal is to merge our product development departments of Online Armor and Anti-Malware to create a new common code base for both. That's required for best coordination of the products.

Emsisoft offers a bundle of Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium which is now called "Emsisoft Internet Security Pack". It's the best choice for overall protection as it combines the advanced antivirus/antimalware scanning features of Anti-Malware with the awarded firewall and HIPS features of Online Amor.

To avoid redundant development of antivirus components, we have decided to not continue development of Online Armor++. That means we'll not implement the new optimized Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 scan engine and not extend the antivirus scanner capabilities in Online Armor++.

Online Armor++ is still available on the www.online-armor.com website for a while, but we recommend all users to choose the Internet Security Pack over Online Armor++ because it's expected that the product lifecycle ends on the long run.

Emsisoft offers all Online Armor ++ customers to switch their license to the Internet Security Pack for free! Please contact our customer support if you want to do so.

Edit: Online Armor Premium edition is NOT affected by this decision at all. It's still provided as standalone Firewall/HIPS.

Well, If I'm using OA++ (I have a valid license), do I need to install Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium separately to get "Internet Security Pack"?

I hope you will keep the goal of creating a native x64 hips with OA V6 premium as suggested by Fabian. That said, it's a shame to kill OA ++, which was enough for me alone as good protection!

If I understood the description of the new EISP it includes Mamutu.

Isn't that a bit of an overkill?

Also, if things are evolving on to a more integrated set of components, why kill OA++? Why not wait for :

Our long term goal is to merge our product development departments of Online Armor and Anti-Malware to create a new common code base for both. That's required for best coordination of the products.

EISP looks like an unnecessary step.

Well, If I'm using OA++ (I have a valid license), do I need to install Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium separately to get "Internet Security Pack"?

The Internet Security Pack consists of two standalone programs: Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium. If you want to switch, both programs must be installed. You'll get two new keys for unlocking then.

Also, if things are evolving on to a more integrated set of components, why kill OA++? Why not wait for :

See, we had to decide if we continue OA++ and lose several months of development time just to bring it up to date with the latest scan engine improvements or better invest the time in a faster progress of OA premium and Anti-Malware. We don't want to have redundant work, so it was clear to focus on an Internet Security Pack and not for OA++ which currently lacks many of the antivirus features that Anti-Malware already has.

I am not convinced as to the distress-free interoperability of Anti-Malware and Online Armor Premium (Mamutu vs OA HIPS) regardless of the assessments of you fine folks at Emsisoft. I would rather wait out your re-development period with OA++ and evaluate your final new common code base for both which hopefully won't take longer than a year.

If one were to purchase a one-year license for OA++ within the next 4-6 weeks, could one expect the timely T3/A2 signature and .dat file updates as one is used to right now through to expiration next year? Can one expect the same for OAP sans T3/A2?

Thank you.

I forgot to ask... When can it be expected that the Internet Security Pack will go Anti-Malware version 6?

And again...

If one were to purchase a one-year license for OA++ within the next 4-6 weeks, could one expect the timely T3/A2 signature and .dat file updates as one is used to right now through to expiration next year?

Can one expect the same for OAP (sans T3/A2)?

I can guarantee that every customer will always get a valid update/upgrade path. The product will definitely not be shut down over night without any updates provided. So it's safe to buy a renewal as long as it is offered.

The Internet Security Pack installer is just a combined installer of the current Anti-Malware and Online Armor setups, so there is no delay to expect when Anti-Malware 6.0 goes final release.

Emsisoft offers all Online Armor ++ customers to switch their license to the Internet Security Pack for free! Please contact our customer support if you want to do so.

Contact support, I take that as being here, correct? If so now how do I go about switching my license over?

Thanks for the speedy reply! Compared to other venders' forum and email support I have found Emsisoft's to be stellar.

As to my If one were to purchase a one-year license for OA++ within the next 4-6 weeks, could one expect the timely T3/A2 signature and .dat file updates as one is used to right now through to expiration next year? I will interpret your reply as a "maybe" but I'm thinking closer to "no." I would purchase a one year license right now in anticipation of my new laptop purchase in November if there could be some indication of continued T3/A2 signature support through that period. Otherwise, it's not the end of the world. ^_^

As I have just purchased an OA Premium license, the continued support of timely database updates will be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to giving Internet Security Pack a close look once Anti-Malware 6 goes public. Hopefully by the time I get that laptop...

Best wishes and good luck to you and the all the Emsisoft/OA crew.

No reply expected.

The reason why I can't give a detail answer on the question about signature updates is, that we also don't know today what the future brings. Current roadmap is that we'll not continue engine development for OA++, but we're still providing updates for the old engine. So far so good, no impact for current customers expected.

However, the third party scan engine may force us to apply changes to our engine framework one day. And that could be the day when OA++ finally ends. Then we'll have to provide a cross upgrade to a new product. What I can guarantee is, that we'll take care of our customers and always provide a reasonable solution for everyone.

Again, thank you for the reply. You've given me enough information to make the informed decision I needed to make.

I never meant to imply you wouldn't take care of your customers or that I hold any malice toward the acquisition of OA by Emsisoft. However, be that as it may, I was never wild about running a behavior blocker and a HIPS, two of the best and extremely powerful, running under separate applications each having having had distinct and separate origins, design philosophy and development paths. But that's just me and why I decided to go with OA++ for the new laptop.

Even if the Internet Security Pack was the only option, you can understand my reluctance to go with that at this point in time when Anti-Malware 6 looms so near.

I never meant, either, to nail you down as to all of what the future brings, but just the period of a newly purchased OA++ license. The way I see it, you'll be supporting A2 sigs for, if not all of, most of that time. As for T3, if Ikarus decides to completely revamp their engineering, they'll have to support the previous one for a while, too. So, by the time I might be forced to abandon OA++ or (better yet) the license expires, the IS Pack will have matured considerably or you'll have brought your common code base product to market. Either one being a win-win.

Pondering of all that, I wonder what Ashampoo is thinking about for their Anti-Malware? Oops. Did I go off topic? ^_^

Cheers!

I just found about this post after noticing A/V feature has completely been removed from my OA++ install by an automatic update.

This road-map says nothing about leaving current unsuspecting customers totally unprotected against malware when they paid specifically for that functionality. It talks about stopping further development while providing just signature updates but... The A/V module has actually been removed so OA++ does not even detect the EICAR test virus any longer.

I've already opened a support ticket with Emsisoft and expect an acceptable solution from them but I wanted to warn any remaining OA++ users on the forum which might be unaware they are totally unprotected against malware now.

PS: No, Emsisoft, posting a note to your own customer care forum is not enough to communicate a fundamental change like this, to a critical piece of software like this, to your paying customers. You have all kinds of contact info from your sale records. You should have contacted me directly regarding development halt, you'd have contacted me again to communicate you were dropping the A/V component altogether. YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS THINGS IN ADVANCE. Instead I had to notice on my own, God knows how much latter, learn from Google about the OA buyout, and complete 3 different registrations with their corresponding email activations just to get a clue.

I've been recommending OA for ages. Now what can I say? My security software provider just uninstalled my bought anti virus without notice... Is it me or does that just sound kind of weird?

Please calm down and read the initial announcement carefully. It doesn't state anything that the current installations are being modified or trimmed down at all. It just said that we'll not continue to do changes on the ++ edition anymore.

What you describe sounds like a critical bug, which could be caused by wrong license handling or your ++ subscription for the AV part simply ended. In such a situation it disables the AV and switches to premium mode.

However, our customer support will help you to solve the problem asap.

When will these two products be merged together ("Emsisoft Internet Security Pack") into one .exe?

The download available on that page for Emsisoft Internet Security Pack is already one exe, though I guess you are referring to the long term goal Christian mentioned in his opening post? If so, please see the question asked in post #6 and Christian's reply to it in post #7.

The download available on that page for Emsisoft Internet Security Pack is already one exe, though I guess you are referring to the long term goal Christian mentioned in his opening post? If so, please see the question asked in post #6 and Christian's reply to it in post #7.

I did not know this, I installed both separate that was what I found a week-ago (two separate products), this has changed since then? Would have been nice to have a notification email.

I did not know this, I installed both separate that was what I found a week-ago (two separate products), this has changed since then? Would have been nice to have a notification email.

Both are available as separate downloads if you go to the separate pages on Emsisoft's site for each product. On the Internet Security page, they are available as one single download.

So now I have 2 keys (3 if you count OA++) that wont work with the combined package, would have been nice to be notified.

Those two Premium keys can be used the same as before., You can just download OA Premium separately. For ++ key changes, it was mentioned in the opening post to contact customer support if you needed a ++ one converted to a new one for the security pack:

Please don't give me that 'calm down' BS. These are not opinions but facts:

• You (Emsisoft) changed policy over already sold products.
  • You did not give notice about the fact to your customers except for a post at your own obscure forum.
  • You did not even use the announcements functionality inside OA++ itself to get our attention about the fact.
  • I can read pretty well, I assure you it's gonna be better if I don't react to you 'careful read' remmarc.
  • Your announcement didn't say anything about disabling A/V but that is what actually happened . See now why I am mad?
  • Update expiration date for my key is 8th Jun, 2013 00:01 as listed on your own system and inside OA++ itself.
  • It's been three days since I opened my support ticket. Still no reaction whatsoever from Emsisoft. So much for critical bug handling on Emsisoft's part.

Now please, try to be nice to me and tell me exactly about which of the above should I calm down. Bear in mind my IQ might be somewhat borderline but, again, please try to be polite and don't make that too much evident on your reply.

On the other hand, you could do something more productive. For instance you might pass notice to your support ticked handling colleagues, prompting them to interrupt their siesta ​and pay some attention to incoming requests. Rest assured I'll become perpetually grateful, not to say fully calmed down.

PS: Please, don't start the date game. This forum lists your reply as posted 4:32 hours before my initial post. That's quite a feat, does it?

Please calm down and read the initial announcement carefully. It doesn't state anything that the current installations are being modified or trimmed down at all. It just said that we'll not continue to do changes on the ++ edition anymore.

What you describe sounds like a critical bug, which could be caused by wrong license handling or your ++ subscription for the AV part simply ended. In such a situation it disables the AV and switches to premium mode.

However, our customer support will help you to solve the problem asap.

It's been three days since I opened my support ticket.

I'm sorry but I can't see any open unanswered tickets in our ticket system right now. Please send me a PM with your email adress and license key so I can have a closer look at your user account. Alternatively you can always send us an email to [email protected] too.

Your announcement didn't say anything about disabling A/V...

Correct, that's because AV isn't disabled anywhere and there is absolutely no relation between your observed problem and the announcement. And therefore it wouldn't make sense to post it more prominently than here. If you'd have read carefully (sorry again to say this, no offense ;) ), you'd have realized that there is no relation. You have either found a bug in the software (which has to be fixed asap) or your subscription simply ended. However, I can't say anything more in detail without knowing your email address or your license key.

Please, don't start the date game. This forum lists your reply as posted 4:32 hours before my initial post. That's quite a feat, does it?

Not really. It's simply because our forum server is located in Germany with central european summer time which may be different to your time zone. But you can set your preferred time zone in your forum user profile settings to make it show the timestamps correctly.

I'm sorry but I can't see any open unanswered tickets in our ticket system right now. Please send me a PM with your email adress and license key so I can have a closer look at your user account. Alternatively you can always send us an email to [email protected] too.

Yes, that'd be because I magically started getting anwers from the support staff ;)

Correct, that's because AV isn't disabled anywhere and there is absolutely no relation between your observed problem and the announcement. And therefore it wouldn't make sense to post it more prominently than here. If you'd have read carefully (sorry again to say this, no offense ;) ), you'd have realized that there is no relation. You have either found a bug in the software (which has to be fixed asap) or your subscription simply ended. However, I can't say anything more in detail without knowing your email address or your license key.

Sorry to disagree. Related to my own issue or not, this is not the place to announce such changes to a product like this which you sell on a long term subscription basis. Most customers won't even register to this forum until they actually need support. Even that is not a given.

Look, there is an inbuilt news area in OA's UI. There you regularly announce new versions and such with links to your web site. How about an "Important announce to our valued OA++ customers" published there. That could just link to this forum thread. That could also save some grievances over the long term.

Not really. It's simply because our forum server is located in Germany with central european summer time which may be different to your time zone. But you can set your preferred time zone in your forum user profile settings to make it show the timestamps correctly.

Thanks, I'm well aware of what CEST time zone is as I live on it for six months a year. Just like you.

The thing is that the offset at the support ticket was more than a day and a half... I may have been angry at the time but surely not crazy. would I?

Thanks in any case for your patience

Hi All,Just wanted to post that after a few iterations with tech support I finally got my issue solved.

Anyway I opted in for OA++ key exchange to EMS with which I'm fully satisfied.

Many thanks and thank you for your patience.

For me, as a long time OA++ user, this is a bad decision. Can't say it is totally unexpected. Somehow I felt the sale of OA from Tall Emu to Emsisoft would bring no real advantages to OA as a product and that is why I chose to leave the OA beta team, which I was a member of for some time.

Even leaving the beta team, I did not lose my appreciation for the product. I am a regular contributor to the Windows Secrets Lounge and I have taken every chance I can to highlight the advantages of OA, especially the ++ version.

In my humble opinion, OA++ had the huge advantage of offering the great HIPS capabilities of OA, with Emsisoft's malware and AV engine. However, due to the way this engine was used in OA++, an additional AV app could be used. Given the nature of current malware and the fact that no anti-malware has a 100% detection rate, the fact that any AV app of an user's choice could run alongside OA++, provided an excelent reason for a security conscious user to buy OA - get OA++ and your AV of choice and you can have three anti-malware barriers - OA++ HIPS, OA++ antimalware and AV engine and the AV of your choice.

With the decision to kill OA++, one layer goes down, OA++ will no longer offer the AV and antimalware engine. This means a almost unique feature (and marketing opportunity) of OA++ will be lost. To get what you had before, two Emsisoft apps will be required and no 3rd AV possible. Instead of a single, simple, unified interface, you will get two different apps, two different interfaces, two different configs. How will users benefit from this? Emsisoft won'te even compete with the security bundles offered by other competitors, which benefit from an unified interface-

I cannot properly convey my disappointment for this decision. It is my opinion that with this move, OA will be thrown to a few notches below standard integrated security packages, while losing the ++ advantages it had before. OA will simply be a HIPS, similar to many others on the market, today, regardless of some feature differences.

Personally I will stop advising OA++ both on my personal circle and on WSL. There will be no longer the competitive advantages I saw on OA++. When my own licenses expire, I will have to decide what to do. I am sure OA will still be a great firewall, but it is extremely hard for me to accept such a downgrade in the features it offered.

All I have left to say then is: Well done, Emsisoft. Way to go!

Oh my my my. I see what your doing Emsisoft. I can see it. Emsisoft and Online Armor become one huge congolomorate corporation. That means scrap Online Armor and become Emsisoft Internet Securities Corporation. Their products will be: Emsisoft free firewall (limited protection), Emsisoft Fee Anvti-Virus (limited protecction), Emsisoft Online Back-up, Emsisoft tune-up Utlilities (free and paid versions). Advanced Mamutu Behavior Blocker (this could be Emsisoft's cornerstone program project for Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware protection), Emsisoft Anti-Maleware Premium (Emsisoft Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware with advanced Mamutu Innovative Technologies), Emsisoft Anti-Malware Pro(yes a firewall, OA Premium with advanced Mamutu Innovative Technologies. [i see this as [color=#ff0000]the old gal will be back[/color]. Yes she will, better known as OA ++ and her new Anvti-Virus and Anti-Malware program with advanced Mamutu Innovative Technologies]), and yes finally, the main big brother, Emsisoft Internet Security Suite Complete 20?? (I see it as the main premier of OA ++ with her new Anvti-Virus and Anti-Malware program, avanced Mamutu Innovative Technologies, parental controls, online back-up, and a tune-up utilities program). That means a major merger with Emsisoft and Online Armor. Two companies into one? Less capita going out to two companies. More to put into Emsisoft. This will only mean "Look Out Nort and AV?, you will be left behind." Opps! lol Another ideology. With what maybe in the future with Emsisoft will surely entail a Ikarus and Emsisoft partnership. Hmmm...Ikarus with revamped Mamutu like Innovative Technologies. Wow! They will all be fighting to keep up with Emsisoft and Ikarus. What do you all think about this everyone? What a business perspective huh Emsisoft. You can thank me later! lol Wanna hire me! LOL I have a degree in business administrations and will have my degree in Sociology in 9 months. Ha! LOL

So your are the moderator huh. Be nice. Only some constructive conversation. I will carry-on somewhere else. No pun intented Mr. Stapp. :-)

Ron, what you have posted is far away from a constructive conversation.

Since Emsisoft acquired Online Armor it was clear that our product range will benefit from a combo, so what's the point of your message? Btw. offering so many editions as you suggested wouldn't help us a lot, even if it would be easy to make them. I prefer a simple and straight forward product line. Online Armor ++ is a redundant product right now and therefore not being developed any further.

Okay, sorry if I upsset anyone. You will never see me here again. Just trying to conversate (which I will do no more).

OA++ is great. Why would I use OA and EAM together? A behavior blocker along with HIPS is not good at all. Will you eventually ditch the behavior blocker in favor of the built in HIPS in OA? I bought a 3 year license OA++ a few hours back but I wouldn't if I had read this thread.

For the record, Eicar test file isn't even detected by OA++ anymore. Is this intentional? How can I trust your words when the product can't even detect the most known test file available? Did you do something already? I feel kind of cheated.