Sign in to follow this  
jaymac800

a-squared HiJackFree is possibly being blocked by my computer securuty programs

Hi, when I download and install a-squared HiJackFree, I get this error - "createprocess failed code 5 access is denied" - when starting a-squared HiJackFree from the install finish. and then when I start a-squared HiJackFree from it's folder/ desktop icon or start- all programs menu, I get this error - "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I know it is not a user ownership issue; I am the administrator-but regardless, I have taken all the steps to ensure this after this issue came up from searching the error code. Now, an interesting thing, I have started in safe mode, and a-squared HiJackFree does work. Not only that, but in safe-mode the desk-top short-cut image of the a-squared HiJackFree icon is there; while in normal adminisrator start-up mode the a-squared HiJackFree desk-top icon is just a box without the a-squared HiJackFree image. I know one of my security programs is blocking a-squared HiJackFree, but i'm not sure which one.

Here is the list; please bear with me, because I use layered security, and have a lot of security programs (but no security suites except Greatis.) Some I can configure files in a white list, but others no. Here is the list:

Malwarebytes, superantispyware, Iobit 360 Pro, avast pro, comodo firewall/defense plus, spyware terminator, winpatrol, and greatis regrun suite. Seems like a lot, but they work well together.

I only know how to white-list files in comodo and spyware terminator. I don't even know if you can white-list files in the other security programs. As I have done, I exited each program and tried to start a-squared HiJackFree, but I got the error - windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

the only prrogram I can not end from the computers memory with the task manger is avast as I get the unable to terminate error. (But I turn every shield off in avast.)

As I said, a-squared HiJackFree will start in safe-mode, but not the normal start-up in the administrator account. And after the install the a-squared HiJackFree desktop icon is a box in normal mode, but is the correct a-squared HiJackFree desk-top icon image in safe mode. I think it is one of my security programs, please help.

Thank you.

That is a lot of security. You may be overdoing it.

However, you have not said which operating system you are using. Is this on a server? If so you will need to unblock the file before you can run it. This is not an uncommon problem. I take it you are able to access other executables?

Please read the posting rules and provide the information requested in 2)

Hi, sorry - it is windows XP 32 bit with sp3, updated.

It is not the server issue,exe transfer issue, or the ie7 security issue.

I am in safe mode with networking right now, and a-squared HiJackFree is working well.

Please help. I think it is one of my security programs that is blocking it in the normal start-up.

I have to go to sleep now as it is 3:40 am Pacific Time. I will look for the posts when I wake up.

Thanks again.

All other executables are accessible.

Hi jaymac800, and welcome to the forum

Thanks for the reply but can you please give more detailed info as in #2) of the Posting Riles that H_D referred to

Since the “overdone security” could be that cause, it is important to know more than OS

What real-time residents are active? What are you using just as on-demand?

As I understand Comodo Firewall is the one wit Defense+ … but it is better you “tell us all the truth” instead of we would guess.

Irrespectively

- you may try to disable all additional security properly, then reboot and switch them On one by one;

- in Comodo – delete and recreate all rules regarding HiJackFree

add EMSI as Trusted Vendor either from "Browse..." or from “Running Precesses” (most likely the latter will not work in current situation as you described it)

Please forget currently about whitelisting other security in a2 – that is different issue and even not necessary thing to do. a2 Free is on-demand scanner only - you will not gain a lot by not scanning other securities' folders.

The issue is to find how change the rules and may be exclude HiJackFree in other security , but usually it is not needed.

...while in normal adminisrator start-up mode the a-squared HiJackFree desk-top icon is just a box without the a-squared HiJackFree image...

Provide the properties of that "box"

What would happen if you explicitly recreate the shortcut from within the base folder and copy it into Desktop?

As for

..windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
Is that the precise one?

Please provide it or post an image.

Use Event Viewer. Are there related Warnings/Errors at the moment when you are trying to run HijackFree?

That's for a start

My regards

P.S. {added} while I was replying you edited your post as I can see ...

Have a good night :)