jsnjack

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6 crashed

Hi! I have just installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6. If I press 'Deep scan' or 'Quick scan' button I will see BSOD and my PC will reboot. It's occurred to me 3 times. Please, see an attachment.

From the dump it appears you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2. This service pack is not officially supported by Microsoft or our products. Can you please upgrade to service pack 3 and see if the problem still occurs? Thanks.

From the dump it appears you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2. This service pack is not officially supported by Microsoft or our products. Can you please upgrade to service pack 3 and see if the problem still occurs? Thanks.

OK. I'm going to install sp3 in Monday.

Hi,

I am a licensed user and after the update to the version 6 I get the same issue whenever I tried to launch the scan whatever the mode selected. So Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6 is currently installed on my PC but not active as the first scan immediately crashed the PC with a Blue screen of death. My OS is XP SP3 up to date. Here with the file:

Hi jsnjack/ Clipper!

Can you please provide the "full memory dump" of your system?

Please refer to the instructions at http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3809-how-to-configure-automatic-memory-dumps-in-case-of-blue-screens/

Once you enable that, try to reproduce the issue.

If the crash occurs, you will notice a memory.dmp file in c:\Windows directory. This file be a bit big based on the size of your computer memory. Please compress it with WinRar/ WinZip and upload it. Just to ensure that memory.dmp contains relevant data, you can check the modified timestamp in the file property and it should be roughly the same time as the time when your computer crashed.

I am unable to download the file using IE8. Managed to download it using Firefox 7.0.1 but unfortunately can not unzip the download with WinRAR.

That's not possible for me to provide you with the full memory dump. I am suspecting McAfee VS killing the content of the download as the site is considered as dangerous by McAfee Advisor...

Just to provide you some additional info about my issue. After rebooting my PC and sending the windows error report to Microsoft I am automatically redirected to a page where they inform me that spooldr.sys. is involved in my problem. As a non IT expert I don't know what this means...

Finally I managed to generate the full memory dump by using msconfig to switch from Minidump to the full memory dump. Is this method OK for you?

Then I reproduced the issue by relaunching an Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0 scan. The scan started correctly but when reaching the 12th file I am unable to identify as it went to fast I have once again got a BSOD. The Memory.dmp is 1.99 Go and after compression it still weights 866 Mo. How do you want me to upload such a big size file on the forum as the max single size is limited to 100 Mo?

Advise please.

Thanks

When I updated to SP3, I have no problem with it. All works properly. Thanks.

That is good news. Can you please try to run the scan couple of times to ensure that the problem is not present anymore.

Hi Clipper,

I have started the download. It will take a while. Will get back to you by tomorrow regarding this issue.

I have hosted the memory.dmp zip file on megaupload.

Here is the link to download the file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WKDPJDD2

Hope this will help to diagnose my issue.

I tried downloading the file twice; extracted it and only to find out that the dump file was partially corrupted.

Ayush

I started it more than 5 times and there is no problem! Thank you again for help.

Can you check your copy of the 7z file and test it for errors (right-click the file > 7-Zip > Test archive).

Can you check your copy of the 7z file and test it for errors (right-click the file > 7-Zip > Test archive).

H_D, I think JsnJack meant to say that EAM is working fine at his end. I had requested him to run the test multiple times so that he is sure that things are working fine.

The crash dump in .7z format was uploaded by Clipper. That file has a problem. Let's wait for Clipper's reply.

I have noticed with the minidump files generated after this issue crashes that some of them were also corrupted.

Firstly I tried to zip the memory.dmp with WinRAR but the compression process hang at 40% everytime. Then used 7zip and it worked.

I am going to reproduce the issue hoping that the memory.dmp generated will not be corrupted.

Don't know what else to do on my own...

Have you any suggestion to avoid the file corruption?

Should take a while to complete that.

I have totally disabled McAfee elements before launching the Anti-Malware 6.0 several times and the scan made my PC crashed everytime while scanning the rootkits...

I have noticed with the minidump files generated after this issue crashes that some of them were also corrupted.

Firstly I tried to zip the memory.dmp with WinRAR but the compression process hang at 40% everytime. Then used 7zip and it worked.

I am going to reproduce the issue hoping that the memory.dmp generated will not be corrupted.

Don't know what else to do on my own...

Have you any suggestion to avoid the file corruption?

Are you able to copy the c:\windows\memory.dmp file to a different directory? If yes, then can you please copy the file to a different location and see if the compression works fine without hanging.

I have totally disabled McAfee elements before launching the Anti-Malware 6.0 several times and the scan made my PC crashed everytime while scanning the rootkits...

What happens if you uninstall McAfee and then run EAM 6? In other words, does the system crash even if you have EAM as the ONLY security software installed on the system?

Hi Clipper,

The problem seems to be that the paging file is either not present on your system or is smaller than the size of your physical RAM. That could be a reason of for the corrupted memory dump file. Can you please check the size of your pagefile in system properties? If it is currently set to a size lower than that of the amount of RAM installed on your system, please set its size atleast to the size of your physical memory plus 1 MB. As an example, if your system has 1 GB of RAM, set the pagefile size minimum to 1GB + 1MB. Or You can simply set it to 1.5 times of your RAM to avoid all these calculations.

Once this is configured, please redo the test and generate a crash dump.

Sorry for this stupid question but where exactly can I find this pagefile size in my system properties?

I have 4 GB RAM installed on my system.

Thanks for your help.

Right click on 'My Computer'

Select properties

Click advanced tab

Select 'settings' in the Performance Section

Then click the advanced tab and you should see the page file amount listed at the bottom.

Right click on 'My Computer'

Select properties

Click advanced tab

Select 'settings' in the Performance Section

Then click the advanced tab and you should see the page file amount listed at the bottom.

Thanks.

I have attached a screenshots of my settings. Should be OK.

Thanks.

I have attached a screenshots of my settings. Should be OK.

Please increase it to make it MORE than 4096 MB. I suggest make it 4608 MB for now (note that the minimum size should be 4608).

Also, once this is done, then use the BellaVista utility to configure your machine for complete dump. Then redo the test and collect the memory.dmp file.

Please increase it to make it MORE than 4096 MB. I suggest make it 4608 MB for now (note that the minimum size should be 4608).

Also, once this is done, then use the BellaVista utility to configure your machine for complete dump. Then redo the test and collect the memory.dmp file.

I am unable to do so. Everytime I tried to change the settings from 4096 MB to 4608 MB the system told me that I am limited to 4096. I have to choose settings that do not exceed 4096 MB.