Sign in to follow this  
hedgehog

Definitions discrepancy

Since the 59MB+ update earlier this week, there's been a bigger than usual discrepancy between the Malware signature on my system and the EMSI site - currently 3430431 on my system and 3234223 on the EMSI site after updating this morning.

Why such a large discrepancy?

Hi hedgehog, and welcome to the forum

What you are saying is correct and that sometimes happens especially after major Signatures Clean up / cumulative updates or such update that took place recently when whole Ikarus DB format was changed as it was stated by the developers in other threads related to the issue.

SignaturesNumber.jpg Here is how it looks like at this very moment here after the latest update.

The Total figures will be in sync soon. There is no need to worry.

My regards

P.S. If you search the forum (this and the old one) you would find such questions and the answers as well ;) , e.g. : http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/169-number-of-malware-signatures-dont-match/

Mine are out of sync too. However, so long as you have updated within the last couple of hours (or the last nine minutes when I just checked the stats), you can be assured that you have the latest signature update and are using the most recent protection available from A-Squared.

Nearly two weeks now and still a 200000 difference. Downloading updates stutters and farts it's way along and installation has slowed to a crawl.

As nothing has changed on my system, I presume all this is down to the out of synch condition. So how long till back in synch and why ie it out of synch in any case?

As post on 27/11/09, same problems with updates and now program taking ages to load.

I assume database still not in synch - I say assume as I can no longer find the total on the EMSI site, but there's been no significant decrease in the number shown on my system (3377313).

Like others, I continue to be offered the unnecessary 49MB updates.

So it's slow to load and painful to update.

How do I know it's still reliable?

Hi hedgehog,

Please provide information about your system as in Forum Posting Rules #2)

and add to that the type of the connection you are using

=======

Currently the Total is the same as you stated (see attached image)

If you hit update and the Software says: “Currently, a-squared is fully up-to-date for optimal performance” - you are fine

Since you read other threads dedicated to repeated download of the full Additional Signatures file, have you tried to Cancel as suggested, and attempt the update again?

Would you get the small differential update after that or you've tried, but that didn't work for you?

My regards

Lynx

Thanks for the reply

XP Home SP3, Zone Alarm, Avast, Spywareblaster, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes. Broadband 8MB connection.

You're missing my point on the totals. What I can see and what you've copied is the total on my system, which, going back to my first post, was (and I suspect is) around 200,000 over what it should be. I'm basing this on comparison with what I could see (until a few days ago) at http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

But that total no longer appears since the MalAware 1.0 section was added.

On updating, the cancel/try again approach usually works, albeit not always at the first attempt.

I hear what you're saying about the currently up to date message, but given the slow program load, stuttering update and extremely slow update installation, I'm concerned that A2 may not be functioning properly.

As you'll see from my system info, I adopt a blunderbuss approach to security - if one doesn't get the nasties, the other will, so I doubt if my security has been compromised. I'm just wondering if it's worth continuing using A2.