Sign in to follow this  
Bundaburra

Domains list is empty

I have installed OA Free, version 5.1.0.1331 running on XP Pro, and I have a question about the "Domains" page, because it is completely empty. Are entries added automatically when I visit sites, or from a pre-configured list, or must I add entries manually? I have read the Help for domains, and although it explains quite well about "trusted", "blocked" etc., it does not say much about how entries are added and how they are given a particular status. When I run a program for the first time, OA asks if it is to be allowed, trusted, etc. and then puts that program into the "Programs" list, but a similar process does not seem to happen for "Domains". How does it work?

I have read the Help for domains, and although it explains quite well about "trusted", "blocked" etc., it does not say much about how entries are added and how they are given a particular status.

Not-trusted sites are added automatically when you respond to a BITS popup by blocking it. If you instead allow the BITS job, the entry will be added as Trusted. So if you were to manually add a site as Trusted, it means that BITS jobs are allowed for that domain and also that that domain is accessible in Banking Mode. There is not really any need or benefit in adding sites to Trusted yourself unless you know that the domain is needed for BITS jobs (then you could save answering a popup ir you added the domain in advance) or in in the case that you need to add the main domain of your banking site in preparation for bank site learning.

Protected domains are ones you have manually set this way for your personal banking. Domains are not added as Protected automatically. If you use the Learn process that Dallas referred to, the domains are added as Trusted and you need to set them to Protected yourself if you want the DNS checker to protect you from being mis-directed to phishing domains that are made to look like your bank site. If you don't want DNS protection for your banking sites, you can just leave the entry as Trusted, which sets it up so it's allowed to be accessed in Banking Mode but doesn't perform DNS checks.

Blocked sites are also not added automatically. These are sites that you personally want to block any access to; different people will of course have different needs and want to block different things.

Not-trusted sites are added automatically when you respond to a BITS popup

Ah, I didn't know that; thanks for the clarification. Since I have the BITS service disabled I just passed over that when I read the online help for that. My bad...

...which sets it up so it's allowed to be accessed in Banking Mode...

But I am confused by that as it would infer the entries in Domains are exclusive to the Banking Mode which I do not use.

I recently added *.verisign.com and *.*.verisign.com and was somewhat deluged by "Potential DNS Problem detected" pop ups even during casual surfing. Since the first two IPv4 octets of the 20-bit block address range were always a match, I always selected Allow. After about a week of that, I concluded that there is a disagreement in the lookups used by you and DynDNS and removed the two entries from Domains. Especially since the frequency of the pop ups increased in annoyance while logged into banking and financial sites.

However, I do have about two dozen carefully crafted Protected entries for several of the banking/financial sites I use almost daily while not in Banking Mode.

I am assuming that judging by the behavior for VeriSign described above, entries in Domains are acted upon regardless of Mode. Correct?

BTW, none of the above are complaints in any way - just reporting my observations seeking further understanding. And, yes, those wild-carded entries for VeriSign are overkill. But it was fun to watch. ;) But now with respect to all that I am befuddled as to how (in Premium and ++) to draw a line between Banking and Advanced Modes and as to where Web Shield begins and ends in those environments.

Cheers!

Yes, Protected and Trusted entries are still allowed to be accessed in any mode and DNS checking is always peformed on Protected sites regardless of mode.

If you are in Banking Mode though, only Protected and Trusted domains can be accessed. Connections to any other domains are blocked. This is the difference between Banking Mode and Standard or Advanced Mode.

Many thanks to both catprincess and dallas7 for the useful information provided. I have a better understanding of it now, but it sure is complicated !!

As this information is apparently not easily available elsewhere, I would like to suggest that it could be included in the Online Help - perhaps just as a "more information" link on the main Domains help page?