Questions about drivers

For those of us (and me) who arrived at this show during intermission, do I wrap up this correctly?

1) For Win7 the OA installer prompts for permission to allow or skip the installation of TLEM, but not for WinXP.

2) Win7 has the OnlineArmor Miniport hidden Network adapter. WinXP does not.

And these, if you don't mind:

In the aforementioned JWC post #3 there is a screen shot of an occult third party utility showing a process named OAnet - Driver, OnlineArmor Service. Task Manager on my XP and W7 systems show an Image Name of oasrv.exe and oasrv.exe *32 and described as Online Armor Component in W7. Are we talking about the same thing here?

In that same post it's mentioned "The oanet.sys driver (which was the TLEM driver)..." If that was the driver, what is it now?

Cheers.

Split from another thread. For reference, the post mentioned is here http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/4518-network-computers-not-listed/page__view__findpost__p__27669

XP doesn't use the TLEM driver. There is a different driver used for XP. Vista and onwards use the TLEM driver and hence will ask you to allow or deny installation of it during install.

Likewise, the Online Armor specific miniports are something you will not see on XP, but will see on Vista and onwards.

The TLEM driver is no different than it always has been. It's still oanet.sys. I think the word "was" in that post" has just been used in the past tense by mistake or perhaps the author of the post interpreted what they wrote in a different way to how you did.

Thanks. When I installed OA++ on my new Win7 laptop, I thought the dialogue for install/skip for TLEM was generated by the OA installer; it didn't look like a Windows dialogue.

Be that as it may, when I installed .1331 earlier this month I now in hindsight recall I did skip TLEM which resulted in the kinds of issues shown in the "There are no active interfaces" screenshots posted by trujwin in the May 31 "Network computers not listed" thread here.

I contacted [email protected] and was queried about the TLEM install, but couldn't remember.

When .1383 was released I decided not to wait for the resident updater. I uninstalled .1331 and installed .1383, this time allowing TLEM - problems solved.

That TLEM thing is one heck of a wrench in the cogs.

In the meantime, I'm still wondering about...

In the aforementioned JWC post #3 there is a screen shot of an occult third party utility showing a process named OAnet - Driver, OnlineArmor Service. Task Manager on my XP and W7 systems show an Image Name of oasrv.exe and oasrv.exe *32 and described as Online Armor Component in W7. Are we talking about the same thing here?

The screenshot you are referring to is displaying OA's drivers, similar to what you'd see if you went to Device Manager and displayed hidden devices and then looked under "Non-Plug and Play Drivers". The drivers don't display in Task Manager; you will only see OA's executable files listed there.