EEDDx5

Emsisoft Anti-Malware and windows action center?

I've got the exact same issue on Vista SP2 x86.

Windows Security Center does NOT recognize EAM when logging in, on a SUA.

I've rebuild the system32/wbem/repository folder but that doesn't help.

Surely users aren't expected to disable/enable File Guard, every single time they log on?

What is the permanent solution for this issue?

Regards, Baserk.

Vista SP2 x86, OA Free, EAM Paid.

One thing that worked for me (note, I say for me, it's not an Emsisoft recommendation) was to turn off the realtime monitoring of Windows Defender.

Hi stapp, thanks for replying.

Windows Defender was already disabled but today after booting up into a SUA, I didn't get a WSC warning anymore.

Checking the Security Center, EAM is recognized. Strange, I haven't changed a thing but apparantly after a second reboot, all is fine.

Afaic this thread can be marked as solved.

Got the same issue and Windows Defender is completely turned off.

Turning the File guard off-on fixes it but that's not a real fix.

Edit:

Also came across this topic at Wilders, could this be related to online armor?

Online Armor on or off doesn't make a difference.

Hopefully the devs will look in to this as it is a bit annoying.

EAM: 6.0.0.46

OA: 5.1.1.1395

Installed together via the Internet Security package on a cleanly installed system (Windows 7 Professional X64 - Dutch) with all updates applied.

Hi all ! :) I have repeatedly faced with the problem described above . I want to say the following:Windows Action Center "sees" ЕАМ ,when the latter is installed individually . Disabling Windows Defender does not affect this . But when the ЕАМ is added OA - indeed ,the Windows Action Center does not recognize ЕАМ . And in this there is nothing dangerous and problematic . I just disabled the service alerts to Windows Action Center (receiving of messages about the installed anti-virus and anti-spyware programs ) - that and you are advised to make. For security it does not affect . Good Luck!

That shouldn't be the solution in my humble opinion.

It isn't a solution. It is merely a workaround until we were able to reproduce and fix the underlying issue, which is rather complex by the way, because Microsoft assumes all applications interacting with the WAC are built using the Microsoft tool chain which simply isn't the case for Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Since it is a purely cosmetic issue it doesn't have a high priority either.

Hi all. I have the solution and what is up with this problem. I have been working with Christian Peters from Emsisoft and he has told me what to do and what is up. It is in EAM programming. It is something that they know about. It is a bug that was supposed fixed in the beta version. He told me that their will be an update coming and to do the following. Open OA's GUI, got to options, click on exclusions in the tab area and add EAM from the program files and be sure to check the all subfolders box. With my system it is listed under program files x86 (Windows 7 SP1 64bit).

He also told me that if you do want to get rid of the notification you can go into EAM and recieve updates from the beta verson. It's in the configuration update tab. Both programs are working fine when this happens. It's just the ugly red X that shows up to be irritating. I hope this helps you all out.

Edited by Ron L

Hi all. I have the solution and what is up with this problem. I have been working with Christian Peters from Emsisoft and he has told me what to do and what is up. It is in EAM programming. It is something that they know about. It is a bug that was supposed fixed in the beta version. He told me that their will be an update coming and to do the following. Open OA's GUI, got to options, click on exclusions in the tab area and add EAM from the program files and be sure to check the all subfolders box. With my system it is listed under program files x86 (Windows 7 SP1 64bit).

He also told me that if you do want to get rid of the notification you can go into EAM and recieve updates from the beta verson. It's in the configuration update tab. Both programs are working fine when this happens. It's just the ugly red X that shows up to be irritating. I hope this helps you all out.

Hi everyone. Just to let you know that I didn't update from the beta files but I did exclude EAM's program files(x86 folder and subfolders also) and it is all working perfectly. The red X is gone from the Action Center notification. I did a little test when this was happening. I rebooted and waited for all start-up programs to run, I then manually updated OA's signatures and that is when the red X started appearing. I believe that it has something to do with confliction in the updates of the two programs signatures. Whatever it is I'm not being irritated anymore and it is all working excellently. :D Edited by Ron L
  • Upvote 1

I have this same problem with the latest non-beta version of AM. The OA exclusion "fix" does seem to work OK, but I am wondering with such a glaring,though hopefully non-function impairing, bug there is no "official" word from Emsisoft or an Emsisoft employee confirming that this is the "officially" recommended work-around for this issue.

We ended up taking OA and EAM both off. We had the warnings from the action center that EAM was reporting it was shut off. And we also had an issue where EAM was not starting on system restart and the start up option would untick itself.These were the only security software on the computer. We have small children who like Nicolodeon and a couple other kid sites and we can't expect them to baby sit security programs.Problems like this once or twice makes it tough to trust programs no matter how much hype they recieve .

Got the same issue and Windows Defender is completely turned off.

Windows Defender is not 100% disabled, and keeps monitoring/slowing... until you remove EVERY check mark (greyed out too). I Strongly suggest you double check to be 100% sure!-

1. Enable Defender & go into Options( must be Admin)-

Open EVERY menu on the left & uncheck ALL. Sometimes you have to enable the top box to get to the lower greyed boxes...

Be sure you use the slide bar, as some are off the view.

2. Now reboot, and wait 5min-

Go into services.msc & be sure Defender is Disabled.

a. If you are using a 3d party defrag with it's own configuration scheme? While you are in services.msc, Disable Windows Defrag.

Tip!- I get the best performance from free Defragler (I've tried them all, and it's the best/MFT & Boot too!).

My setup/Procedure-

1. For Defraggler (or Any other 3d party defrag that uses Windows layout.ini configuration), I Don't replace Windows Defrag on installation.

2. Open Windows Defrag & disable Scheduled Defrag (you may have to enable Win Defrag configuration if you've Ever been using a 3d party defrag).

3. Now go into services.msc & set Win Defrag to Manual.

4. I don't defrag until after 4 no-activity 10min reboots.

a. Now Disable All anti-malware after 5min from reboot.

b. Wait another 5min & open Defraggler (I Pin it to my taskbar).

1. Wait 3min & click Defrag (Don't move your mouse until 3min after done, and I don't Analyze!), & may take a few min more 1st time (7min for my 20gig used C: drive).

2. If there is a box at the end, and still some files not defraged?-

a. View files, close.

b. Wait 1min & Analyze- Fragged files should go to 0%.

3. Wait no-activity for 6min & reboot.

a. I Never install/Uninstall... Anything, until After 4 10min reboots (Windows will do a Major auto-Repair..., after 3d reboot).

4. Boot Defrag (Best after 1st reboot following Defrag)

a. Wait as before & go into Defraggler Settings (No Analyze!), and Schedule a 1 time Boot Defrag/ Reboot (It's Fast!).

Note- Yup I realize this is Very time consuming, but your computer will be sooo Fast now!

a. I strongly suggest you print this complex procedure, and can adapt it to whatever Defrag you use (Win too)!

Hi everyone. This is what I did to eliminate the messages through the action center. I changed the action center notification through Change Action Center Settings (Windows 7 SP1, left side of the windows). It is in the control panel under System and Security. I have upload a screen shot of what I changed. I restarted my PC 10 times and waited for the action center to display it's messages. The only issue with this is that it also turns off notifications if your using Windows Defender.

Well...months have gone by since I bought EISP and no updates about the angry red X. It is still showing up. I have tested this problems when installing Comodo firewall and EAM. The red X doesn't show up. Does anyone have any new information about this problem?

Edited by freeman317

It isn't a solution. It is merely a workaround until we were able to reproduce and fix the underlying issue, which is rather complex by the way, because Microsoft assumes all applications interacting with the WAC are built using the Microsoft tool chain which simply isn't the case for Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Since it is a purely cosmetic issue it doesn't have a high priority either.

Finally an answer I can pretty well live with for now.

WAC having issues with EAM/A2 have been around for MANY years, and it upset me when they said-

It's low priority

next version fix

you don't need WAC AV notifications

yada, yada...

I was a Security programmer(Dev) with the Feds for 30 years, and had "cosmetic" incompatibility issues such as this...

If my users screamed too much, I'd just disable the message in our OS-

Such is surely Not the case with MS allowing EAM to tweak Windows to recognize it (Muhamed went to the Mountain...).

EAM would probably have to do a complete rewrite for this pesky little issue, and that's not likely to happen anytime soon?

Maybe EAM having a different architecture from the rest of the AV pack, is the reason they have the #1 detection rate!?

I had no problems with EAM/WAC in the last last version-

I finally just disabled notifications in this version, and have learned to live with it.

Hopefully the next version will have it fixed?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If this Really bugs you, and want to help get it fixed-

Become a beta tester, and submit some debugview logs to EAM's Devs...

• Upvote 1

I tried something the other day! I went to Windows Firewall and allowed EAM and OA through Windows Firewall. So far no red X. Maybe someone could try this and see if it works for them. I did turn OA off before I did this and turned in back on when I finished!

Freeman:

I don't have OA, but I do have the Red X issue with EAM.

I thought I'd give your fix a try, but EAM wasn't listed in Win7 (32) FW?

(I scrolled down too)

(I Always use Public, so other computers can't hack in...)

Freeman:

I don't have OA, but I do have the Red X issue with EAM.

I thought I'd give your fix a try, but EAM wasn't listed in Win7 (32) FW?

(I scrolled down too)

(I Always use Public, so other computers can't hack in...)

On your picture upload number one, click on change settings (at the top) then click add another program (at the bottom). You should be able to scroll and find EAM and EAM guard. Check the two boxes on the left of the window and the whatever your prefferences that apply on the right boxes.

Well...I did get a hold of Microsoft. They have told me that it doesn't have anything to do with Action Center. The representative told me that it could possibly a confliction between the file guards with EAM and OA. So I turned off the notifications in Action Center. Guess I'm going to have to live with this as due to the fact I cannot afford to by another Security Suite. I don't know what the details of monitoring EAM myself entails. I just hope nothing goes wrong. I'm an online college student that relies heavily on my computer for my studies. I love your protection Emsisoft; but I do hope this problem can be resolved. Thank you.

On your picture upload number one, click on change settings (at the top) then click add another program (at the bottom). You should be able to scroll and find EAM and EAM guard. Check the two boxes on the left of the window and the whatever your prefferences that apply on the right boxes.

Freeman:

I don't have OA that I see corrupted your Red X (in your later post), with their version upgrade???

Q?- You do know that you can't have 2 active firewalls running at the same time ( you referenced Both Win FW, and OA FW?)!? :blink:

BTW- I recently tried OA free for a week, and it caused my HD to whine Loudly!-

I dumped OA , and I also had the same issue with PrivateFirewall free! Color All pesky 3d party firewalls Gone (along with webguards!)!

I rely on the Win 7 firewall, and surf with safe/virtual sandboxie Pro (free version too).

http://www.sandboxie.com/

I also do a daily full C: scan with EAM, and MBAM on Sundays.

~~~~~~~~~

Thank you!-

Your Red X fix by allowing EAM .exe's... in Win Firewall, has worked good for a few days.

I still get the Red X when WAC white flag first appears at startup, but it goes away 40sec later.

-We will see if the fix survives the next Win updt, and/or EAM version updt?

Freeman:

I don't have OA that I see corrupted your Red X (in your later post), with their version upgrade???

Q?- You do know that you can't have 2 active firewalls running at the same time ( you referenced Both Win FW, and OA FW?)!? :blink:

I dumped OA , and I also had the same issue with PrivateFirewall free! Color All pesky 3d party firewalls Gone (along with webguards!)!

I rely on the Win 7 firewall, and surf with safe/virtual sandboxie Pro (free version too).

~~~~~~~~~

Thank you!-

Your Red X fix by allowing EAM .exe's... in Win Firewall, has worked good for a few days.

I still get the Red X when WAC white flag first appears at startup, but it goes away 40sec later.

Freeman:

~~~~~~~~~

Thank you!-

scottls1:

I only have OA running as my firewall and EAM as my AV. I have used MBAM from time to time and really do like what it has to offer. I know that the red x issue is not something this is a general concern. It is just irritating to see the dumb thing pop up every time I start my pc. I do like EAM and think is one of the best on the market. I will give your protection features a try. I do need to keep my machine safe from intrusions. Thanks for your time.

I have this problem too! the only thing that works for me is when I see the notification I hit the "update" on EAM, annoying but it works.

This is after countless uninstalls/installs, even clean install of 7 twice! (unrelated reasons)

I have this problem too! the only thing that works for me is when I see the notification I hit the "update" on EAM, annoying but it works.

This is after countless uninstalls/installs, even clean install of 7 twice! (unrelated reasons)

Have you tried freeman317's tweak...?- It worked for me!

This really should not be considered a cosmetic issue. The psychological aspects of security protection shouldn't be seen as irrelevant. The classification of this issue as "cosmetic" if it shows anything, is Emsisoft's inability to solve the problem and, IMHO, it is a very lame excuse. I do find it diminishes my trust on Emsisoft's credibility and I am sure other users think the same.

The Windows trust center is important and it is even more important for the "casual" OS user... It's just a shame that once more Emsisoft's decisions seem to be taken with a lighthearted disregard to users interests. Maybe Emsisoft just wants to be a small player in the security app business. You sure act like a small player and you do so too many times for my taste.

The main problem with the WSC is that we can't fix it. It is common knowledge that the WSC has all kinds of problems. Even Microsoft's own AV solution fails to register correctly for many users. The biggest issues we have to deal with when interacting with the WSC is that the WSC is designed to be used by applications that were built with Microsoft tool chain (Visual Studio) and requires several, partially undocumented, changes to binary files that simply are not supported by other compilers like the Embarcadero Delphi tool chain that we are using. So unless we port everything from Delphi to Visual Studio it will never work correctly.

There is a reason why many products like Symantec or McAfee simply disable the WSC completely. Because you can't get WSC integration right.

The main problem with the WSC is that we can't fix it. It is common knowledge that the WSC has all kinds of problems. Even Microsoft's own AV solution fails to register correctly for many users. The biggest issues we have to deal with when interacting with the WSC is that the WSC is designed to be used by applications that were built with Microsoft tool chain (Visual Studio) and requires several, partially undocumented, changes to binary files that simply are not supported by other compilers like the Embarcadero Delphi tool chain that we are using. So unless we port everything from Delphi to Visual Studio it will never work correctly.

There is a reason why many products like Symantec or McAfee simply disable the WSC completely. Because you can't get WSC integration right.

I have noticed that after an hour from login; EAM updates and is recgonized by WAC. I do wonder why OA doesn't experience this problem?

I have noticed that after an hour from login; EAM updates and is recgonized by WAC. I do wonder why OA doesn't experience this problem?

OA doesn't use the WSC the way EAM uses it which is due to the fact that OA doesn't need to report updates and update times to it.

I just noticed some information that may be revelant. I uninstalled OA and installled Comodo Firewall. With doing this WAC reports EAM is turned on. Now I am confused!