Sign in to follow this  
pahuttun

oasrv.exe with 50% CPU when browsing

I've noticed in a week or so that my internet connection was very sluggish. When previously page loaded in few seconds, now it took 10-30 seconds and usually pictures in the site showed one by one slowly. About 30% of the pages just gave me error (could not find address) until I refreshed them. I assumed that problem is in connection or modem, but then I found out that oasrv.exe was hogging 50% CPU. When I close OA, my browsing is totally high speed again.

What I have found out so far:

- Happens with both Firefox (9.0 Beta) and Internet Explorer 9 (9.0.8112.16421)

- I have updated firefox lately, but I haven't touched IE, so it shouldn't be program version problem because the problem arised only week/weeks ago

- Web shield has been disabled always

- Problem seems to happen only when Firewall is enabled. If I disable firewall but keep program control and key logging on, problem seems to go away

- Problem is very frequently, about 95% of the time I am browsing internet. However, it seems to happen only when I am browsing new pages. For example: If I google something and open page, it usually takes few minutes and oasrv takes 50% CPU whole time. If I refresh page with Ctrl+F5, it loads instantly without any problems.

- This is only educated guess, but it seems unlikely that 50% cpu causes the whole slowness. If I open some other program which uses 99% of the cpu, I can still browse internet 2-5 times faster compared to situation when oasrv.exe takes ~50% of CPU

- Problem only seems to happen when loading pages. I haven't noticed that my computer was slower when I am not browsing and even I have 20 tabs open, oasrv.exe is taking only ~1% cpu if I don't open new pages

Specifications

- Windows Vista Home Premium, 32bit, SP2

- Online Armor 5.0.0.1097 Free

- Anti Virus: Avast 6.0.1289 (in Avast I have exluded whole OA program directory. In OA I have excluded whole Avast program directory)

- Browsers are trusted. Avast program files doesn't appear in list of programs (because it is excluded?)

Please ask more details if you need. Thanks for any help

If you haven't done so already, OA should be excluded from all of Avast's shields separately as well as from general scanning. Since you are running a somewhat older version of OA (the current version is 5.1.1.1395), I'd suggest you uninstall, reboot twice and then install the latest version and see if this resolves the problem :)

First thing I did was trying to update but OA doesn't find any new versions. Now I know that there are newer versions, I'll update OA manually.

Thanks for the tip to exclude separately OA from all Avast shields, I didn't do that.

I'll post if things are ok after update and excluding. Thank you again :)

I'll post if things are ok after update and excluding

Hi pahuttun,

I'm an Avast! user too. You should first set all the exclusions (File System, Autosandbox, Behavior shields) and then update OA.

When possible It'd be better updating OA with the Avast Shields turned temporary off (right-clicking on the tray icon).

Cheers

No luck :(

Updated OA to 5.1.1.195. Added OA to all Avast! shields as excluded.

Problem happens again and is worse after update. Now simple google search will make oasrv.exe go crazy for few minutes. It also seems that before net was very sluggish when oasrv.exe was at 50% cpu. Now it doesn't work at all, all pages that I try to open when oasrv.exe is crazy will cause error.

I also find out that problem happens even you have disabled all Avast shields, so Avast shouldn't be the problem. I also disabled Truecrypt, Messenger and Dropbox (programs that are open all the time) but it didn't help.

So, whats next?

Firewall logging is set to "Blocked events". I tried to disable it completely, but no help.

I also monitored my resources during google searches when oasrv.exe goes crazy. Problem seems to be worst when there are lots of pictures which google shows by default. My disk will start spinning, probably doing firefox caching for files. However, disk usage will go down but oasrv continues to be at max quite a long time (~30 seconds) after it.

If I do lots of picture heavy google queries problem seems to vanish little by little. If first query makes oasrv go crazy for minute, 10th query makes it go wild only for like 5 seconds. Problem starts again when browser is restarted.

I have to remind that problem is not "degraded browsing speed", because after OA update I can't browse anything when oasrv goes wild. Even my browser responds normally without problems, almost all tries to load something new (= get something new from internet) results with error

I did reboot twice but then I upgraded :lol: Wondered why.

Now I uninstalled, rebooted twice and installed. And behold! No more oasrv.exe going bazooka! I also noticed that OA at whole has been changed (different UI), so there must been something wrong with the upgrade.

I still see some oasrv.exe activity, up to 10-20% for few seconds, but I think this is accurate and normal. I will post again if problem arises but if not, then I bow and thank you for help! :)