Zamba

is OCSetupHlp.dll safe!

I downloaded Winamp from Filehippo.com and as I was installing it OA HIPS pop up a message saying OCSetupHlp.dll from company: "Open Candy" is not safe and should be blocked.

So I check mark "remember my decision" and then click "block" and it blocked the "Open Candy" temp file.

So I google the file name and some sites said "Open Candy" is safe and some said it is low level adware. I was upset that the latest Winamp has some sort of hidden sneaky process that Online Armor did a very good job in notifying me in telling me to blocked it's .dll file.

So my question is my PC safe from this "Open Candy" file and should I uninstall Winamp from my PC so I don't have this "Open Candy" stuff on my computer.

A screenshot of the popup would be helpful in possibly determining why OA says it should be blocked.

Open Candy seems to be a plugin that software developers can use to display an advertisement in their installer asking if you want to install some other software.

Open Candy seems to be a plugin that software developers can use to display an advertisement in their installer asking if you want to install some other software.

I guess it sees what program you have installed on your system and then it suggests some other software that you might like.

The default installer of CDBurnerXP (a program which I use) comes with OpenCandy. However, they also offer a version of the installer without OpenCandy (which I use).

I search around some websites and found Winamp full version has a installer name Open Candy. I uninstalled Winamp full and found out Winamp Lite does not have Open Candy install in it, so I install Winamp Lite instead.

Catprincess The screen shot of the pop up was in pink color and the message explained that the process could be dangerous and require the user to block this process so I clicked Block.

I just got to say that Online Armor did a excellent job to pick up the Open Candy stuff and provide me a clear message to block this installer.

When in the past I used the CDBurnerXP installer with OpenCandy, I never saw that warning pop-up of OA. Maybe things have changed in the last 8-10 months...

In any case it is a good thing that OA warns about OpenCandy or similar incorporated advertising software that scan users' systems. Well done!

Hi Nick, I usually install Software that don't come in bundle's, and install program's that have "Lite" or "Slim" programs. But I have download Winamp from filehippo from the past and install it, and OA has never flag Open Candy until a couple of day's ago. Then I found that Winamp Lite does not contain that Open Candy stuff.

It just show that a lot of safe programs can contain some adware or ask toolbar stuff and can't really trust it even if you use that program before and OA did well to tell me the file is not safe and then to block the .dll file even if I was installing a safe, well known program like Winamp which I have use for more than 10 years.

Yeah, you're right. In the past I was forced to install the Ask toolbar stuff against my will thanks to a PDF reader that I had been using for years and that I had trusted until then...