Is This Safe? On posting scan logs in the HELP, MY COMPUTER IS INFECTED section of this forum

When Emisoft Antimalware scanned my computer, it found a rootkit, which could not be quarantined or removed. The program referred me to the Emisoft forum for help in removing this.

An extremely knowledgeable tech has been very generous with his time in helping me address removal of this rootkit. As part of the process, I have run and posted to the forum the content of various scans using the programs TDSSkiller, ComboFix, OTL, among others. My question: Is it safe to post this information in a public forum? Would they contain personally identifiable information that could be used to compromise the security of my computer?

Hello OctoberCrow.

Log files normally don't contain some kind of "critical" personal identifiable information like addresses, passwords or anything else like that.

But of course it is necessary that the log file contains some specific information about your computer.

(Operating System, Memory, installed programs,...)

These information shouldn't really be very helpful for compromising the security of your computer.

(There are other ways for somebody to get this information if he wants to...)

Although, you should always check the information you are posting to make sure it doesn't contain any information you are not willing to have in a public domain.

Hope it helps!