dallas7

oasrv.exe - Application Error

I am beginning to grow weary of the issues I'm dealing with for OA+++ and OAP on both of my systems.

This one has been occurring on my XP system. Sometimes I can hit OK three or four times and it'll go away and I can restart OA. Other times it hoses things so bad I have to do a full hard reset. I used my camera to take a shot of my monitor for this occurrence of a total lockup.

What does it say in the Windows Event Viewer at the time that this happens. (Either under System or Application)

Looking at your profile it seems that you have Zemana AntiLogger installed? People have reported similar errors when they've had additional security software installed that conflicts with OA. I wouldn't recommend using Zemana AntiLogger with OA unless you were going to disable OA's HIPS altogether.

I'm sorry I failed to detail in #1 above: This error shows up every now and then on my XP system during system restarts or when selecting Close and Shutdown Online Armor. It does not occur anytime else.

There are no Event Viewer entries, Error or Warning, for any of these occurrences to date. But thanks for asking - there were a boatload of PS/2 i8042prt.sys errors related to the USB mouse I installed two months ago! I should get into that viewer more often.

Note that when I evoke a restart, I always do it as known as what is an "elegant" method. I exit all apps (except EAM and OAP) and then manually evoke the restart. I never do it from any post-install/patch/configuration "restart now" dialogue. As such, Zemana or MBAM is not running.

Regarding Zemana, Emsisoft is listed as compatible here:

http://zemana.com/An...bility.aspx#tab

I'm going to open a support ticket over there and find out what if anything they might make of this.

Otherwise, prior to my decision to choosing OA, I was encouraged by this in your announcement of OA's 5.1 release: "We focused on improving the compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with products like Google Chrome, Sandboxie, Panda Cloud AV and others." In light of your recommendation, are you saying that Zemana AntiLogger was not one of those products and is as you say, "...additional security software installed that conflicts with OA"?

Thank you.

Regarding Zemana, Emsisoft is listed as compatible here:

http://zemana.com/An...bility.aspx#tab

I'm going to open a support ticket over there and find out what if anything they might make of this.

Looking at that chart, it doesn't appear to be terribly up to date. It lists Tall Emu on there (presumably referring to an old version of OA) and it's been well over 1 year since Emsisoft bought OA. Presumably their Emsisoft entry on that chart is only referring to EAM in this case.

Otherwise, prior to my decision to choosing OA, I was encouraged by this in your announcement of OA's 5.1 release: "We focused on improving the compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with products like Google Chrome, Sandboxie, Panda Cloud AV and others." In light of your recommendation, are you saying that Zemana AntiLogger was not one of those products and is as you say, "...additional security software installed that conflicts with OA"?

Anti-loggers are monitoring some of the same things that HIPS do so there is a high potential for conflict. In some ways it could be likened to running two HIPS programs together.

Thank you catprincess. I can assure you I'm no stranger to software conflicts but your generalization, as helpful as it is, does not address the specifics of my concern. I'll post it up again, slightly re-worded and hopefully without it being perceived as a "bump" and for all of Emsisoft support to consider.

Prior to my decision to choosing OA, I was encouraged by this in your announcement of OA's 5.1 release: "We focused on improving the compatibility and stability of Online Armor in conjunction with products like Google Chrome, Sandboxie, Panda Cloud AV and others."

Is or is not Zemana AntiLogger one of those products?

Thank you.

Hello dallas7,

Sorry you have problems with OA.

Could you please create a crash dump for this oasrv.exe problem? (related KB article: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3810-how-to-configure-automatic-crash-dumps-in-case-of-application-failures/)

It would be also great if you could create a set of debug logs as described at http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3819-how-to-configure-online-armor-debug-logs/

Thank you in advance,

Just as a little addition:

You need to disable OA's self protection so Dr. Watson is able to write the dump file. You can find the option to disable the self protection inside the Debug menu that shows up after you enabled Debug Mode.

Thank you for the details. I will interpret your reply to mean that Zemana AntiLogger was not one of the products "...focused on improving the compatibility and stability."

I have disabled the dump cleanup setting in CCleaner so the next time it happens I should have one of those files for you. (Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.) I'll submit it via the Customer Center.

Considering this is an elusive behavior which I can't demonstrate consistently, it is doubtful I can wrap up the requested debug log.

As it occurs (so far) only upon restarting I have enacted this workaround: I have disabled Launch Online Armor at next startup joining Malwarebytes and Zemana (which I start manually in that order) and leaving EAM as the only app to startup. Before I do a system or application update/upgrade requiring a restart I will now shut down also OAP with everything else except EAM. If I get the oasrv.exe error, I'll force a reboot and continue and when the update/upgrade/reboot is completed manually start OAP, MBAM and ZAL.

Cheers.

Well, as it turns out I've discovered that if I do not Exit Zemana AntiLogger prior to a system restart/shut down, the application error for oasrv.exe is no longer produced.

Apparently, an "elegant shutdown/shut down" is now a legacy practice in my computing universe. :wacko:

Happy New Year! Or as my friend says, "Happy Arbitrary Human Singularity in our Space Time Continuum."