Sign in to follow this  
draya

Unable to load the signatures Ikarus

I have read several topics about this, but they either seem to be solved, just about how long and big the files are, or are involving dial-up. I don't have problems with internet speed or the size of the file - I just can't get the file to download. It refuses. I have been trying to download the same 49meg update for days - days!? I don't get it. I have seen it get all the way up to 94% done...and then it freezes again, eventually it times out and says that "Ikarus signatures can not be downloaded. The server update is currently unavailable. Please try again with an update in a few minutes." Normally it only gets to 17% or so before it freezes and times-out. I have been trying, again, for days. Different times of day for that matter. Early, late, mid-day. This software seems to be good at what it does - but it doesn't do me any good if it can't update. Any ideas?

Hi draya, and welcome to the forum

Please provide more details about your System Environment as in Posting Rules #2)

Since you've read few cases here (and there were discussions in the old forum) regarding the issue you know the situation.

At the same time yesterday there were several (3) messages about unavailability of the Ikarus server as you described. Those appeared here during small differential updates and all eventually went through. This morning there is no problems in my location.

Probably the server problems and the “big update” you need to get is coincidental this time.

Not much I can add to that...

.. except you may try to get the update in the Safe Mode with Networking

That is a long shot, but if you will do that please tell us the result

My regards

Let's see...XP Pro SP3, cable internet, I have SuperAntispyware, Threatfire, ZoneAlarm, SpywareGuard, Ad-aware, and Avast as my 'running' anit-everything programs. A2 has permission to run updates from Zonalarm, it just times-out. I haven't got the foggiest idea of how to start in safemode with networking?? Totally lost me there. I have been trying to get this update since the 21st. Hope those stats are what you wanted? Thanks.

~ Whole Quotation Removed {Lynx}

Thanks for reply and additional info.

I hope that only Avast has real-time resident and others are just on demand scanners.. and sure ThreatFire / & ZA are running in the background too...

As for you question re: Safe Mode, please read the following instruction. Scroll down.

Amongst other things it has a part: Do Not Force Safe Mode"

The procedure and the reference to the wiki article is there

Just choose “with Networking” option

Here is the link

The “experiment” with the Safe Mode is not usually required procedure. But in some cases that is helpful because it eliminates some obstacles and the influence of the “spare components”. Despite that is not a fact that will do this specific job - I would still try.

My regards

In addition to the above

Please read this thread in our old forum and the subsequent link(s)

you will find the direct off-line download link for Ikarus signatures.

note: as it was pointed there - downloading and substituting the whole t3sigs.vdb file - is Not officially supported way by any means, but you may just test whether the procedure will work

I just downloaded the file and it went extremely fast and without any hiccups

Off-Line_Ikarus.jpg Please try that as well in the Normal Mode and tell how that went

Cheers!

If downloading the sigs from Ikarus is so "Not Offically Supported", is it safe to do so? I don't want to download something that is going to screw up my comp or infect it - it would more than defeat the point of trying to get A2 to work properly. I still don't understand why it will not download the update? Are the servers that overloaded? Is there a better time of day to try to download when they are not so busy? Even if I did get the Ikarus sigs from their site, would I have to do that ever time I update. I can't update everyday if I can't get it to update once at all?

~ Whole Quotation Removed {Lynx}

...If downloading the sigs from Ikarus is so "Not Offically Supported", is it safe to do so? I don't want to download something that is going to screw up my comp or infect it...

draya,

Why would you think that off-line downloading of Ikarus's Signatures will infect the computer? :huh:

Then, that is just a test of downloading the specific legitimate file.

The same file that exist on your PC as a part of your security that you are using.

In addition if you read the referred threads you would understand why it is not the officially supported method...

... but nothing was said in my reply about downloading it and then substituting the existing Ikarus Signature file (despite that could be possible solution)

That was just another test in addition to Safe Mode test, where the legit file is downloaded but not from within a program in order to see whether there will be any difference... nothing else.

The server overload is not that can be controlled from here and I (and probably nobody ) can tell what is the "better time"

Another important thing is the reliability of your connection, that again only you can test locally and probably contacting your ISP is necessary.

The similar troubles reported mostly apply to the users of dial-up.

There were only one or two reports from those using broadband connection

My regards

P.S. Please read Forum Posting Rules as suggested and don't use the whole quotes when you are not replying to particular point of the previous post. I edited your post again

Lynx,

A) You asked why I would worry about the file being bad for my comp. Well, you yourself, as you seem to be a one person crusade to help all the lost here, had the Not in your not officially recommended in red and underlined. That has always meant bad, don't do that, avoid, etc, etc, etc. That's why I had to ask.

B) I tried the direct download and it worked great. The whole file downloaded in under a minute and once I put it in the sigs file, the program was able to update like it should and all is well!

Thanks for helping !! - especially since I only 'speak' like 3 sentences worth in tech and get lost not far after that :D

Hi draya,

Thank you for kind words.

We are glad to hear that a-squared is “back to life”.

...I tried the direct download and it worked great. The whole file downloaded in under a minute and once I put it in the sigs file, the program was able to update like it should and all is well!...

Few words about the thing that worried you - ”not officially supported”.

1st, that does not necessarily mean that “it is bad” and especially that does not mean that the file can be harmful.

The off-line download test worked and that's most likely because it could be picked up from different server (one of the reasons,... could be others)

Developers may have a look at the issue again.

And please report back if further “official updates” ;) from within the program will cause troubles.

Finally, I may stress the main point about the procedure:

You substituted the file and that is the action that may or may not work as I wrote above when I mentioned downloading only at this stage in order just to check it out.

The procedure is not supported because there could be discrepancies regarding existing modules (read algorithm) /current set of signatures / and signatures format (as a matter of fact the latest big Ikarus update should've been downloaded by all users because of that).

So, all components of the Software must be in sync.

When the updates are carried as intended - the “official way” - the program delivers signatures and required modules when necessary and all is working in complex.

Substituting components manually without taking all of the above into account may cause incorrect program's functionality and can lead to crashes.

Cheers!

Guest control

So there are still update problems with ikarus signatures like months ago? When will you solve this problem? :(

Hi control,

Do you have a particular current problem with the download of Additional signatures?

or

you are not able to get them "for months"? :o

If so, you should've requested that earlier.

If you have read the threads dedicated to the problem - you know that there are very limited number of users affected (mostly those with dial-up)... but in any case you know that the problems are solvable and you know that EMSI developers are working on it together with developers of Ikarus.

So, what kind of troubles do you have now?

Please post your System specifications as in Forum Posting Rules #2) and the type of your connection

My regards

So there are still update problems with ikarus signatures like months ago? When will you solve this problem? :(

It is much more likely that this was a problem introduced by one of the network stream scanners installed. Otherwise the update works well for literally millions of people out there. Given the low number of actual complains (even with the ones in the old forum we still haven't reached the 3 digit area) it is pretty safe to say it works.