Thankful

System freezes when doing deep scan

Can you please explain what exactly you mean when you say "freezes"? Does the scan just stop? Can you still start applications? Does the mouse still move? In addition essentially all basic system information are missing in your post. What OS do you use? What security applications do you use?

Using Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1, IE 9. Also running Zemana AntiLogger which is included in file guard whitelist.

System freezes means I can't access taskmanager to end any process, the scan stops scanning at the place it is at. I can't close any open windows. The only solution is

physically turning off my computer by holding down the On button.

Ok. Does it happen when you perform a custom scan with all additional scans (Rootkits, traces, cookies etc.) disabled? If it doesn't happen then you may want to try enabling the additional scans one after another until you experience the freeze again to narrow it down to the exact scan causing the problem.

Another system freeze running custom scan with all three boxes (Rootkits, Active Malware, Spyware Traces) unchecked.

Six IE9 windows were open. Mouse pointer able to move but with spinning circle next to it. Unable to bring up Task Manager.

Does it happen as well when you completely disable Zemana? In addition you may want to start Task Manager before starting the scan and watch for processes indicating problems like werfault.exe for example.

I removed Zemana from my computer. The custom scan with the three boxes unchecked ran OK.

Next, I tried a deep scan. Scan is frozen at scanning for rootkits (2 of 5) 20%. Scanned objects:1 Detected objects:0

Removed objects: 0. I terminated scan.

I'm not an expert at the hardware stuff. I'll give what I know. If you need more detail, please let me know.

From device manager: Disk Drives: WDC WD1600AAIS-75B4A0 ATA Device.

NTFS using 14.3GB of 148GB.

Thanks. Intel chipsets should work just fine. Unfortunately if you still don't have any ELF files there is little I can do without having access to your system. Would it be possible to get some kind of remote desktop access to diagnose this problem further?

thankful, i would try running a scan with IE 9 not running at the same time and see how that goes.. it is possible that IE 9 is causing a problem.. also, you could disable any other realtime-protection that you have running on your computer while running scans with the emsisoft program.. i always disable all of the realtime-protection on my computer when running scans.. (i also don't surf the internet while scans are running)..

also, i think you should allow "fabian wosar" to try using "remote access" to diagnose the problem.. that can be done with something like "team viewer"..

you could post a "hijackthis" log.. that would show what is running on your computer which might help to track down a problem..

I am able to use IE9 while scanning with other AVs with no problems. This along with the fact that IE9 was written by the

same company that wrote the OS makes me believe the issue lies with Emsisoft. I also have concerns that Emsisoft

consistently uses over 95% CPU when running scans.

I also have concerns that Emsisoft consistently uses over 95% CPU when running scans.

Which again is to be expected. We assume that if a user manually starts an on-demand scan we are free to use the system's free resources to finish the scan as quickly as possible. If you have a multi core CPU we will start doing things in parallel to take advantage of the additional cores/threads for example which obviously will cause the general CPU load to spike. We are thinking about offering a bit more control to the user when it comes to on-demand scans in the future though. Like allow the user to select the priorities at which scans run, control the number of threads used during the scan or limit the scan to certain CPUs/cores.

In this regard, Emsisoft is different from other AVs.

Perhaps this is the source of my problems. I should finish my deep scan before I do anything else.

If this is true, this is something I can live with.

While I haven't had any problem with Emsisoft Anti-malware, I have used other multi-engine programs (eg. Coranti) which will freeze up my system. Perhaps it is an issue with the I/O capabilities of my hard drives or motherboard controller. I currently do have multiple antivirus/antimalware products installed. I never run their scanners at the same time.

Hi Fabian.

Yes, SP3 installed.

Doing a custom scan. (see picture)

And yes, EAM is allowed in Outpost.

Upgraded to 6.0.0.54 this morning.

Will see if it helps.

Best regards,

François