Blocked from internet access

catprincess --

I, too, am having a similar problem with OA5.1 regarding being blocked from internet access. In my case two things are different: 1). It seems to be intermittent -- it happened today, the first time since 6 Dec 11. I "fixed it" the first time by restoring my system to an earlier time via, a full system backup. Everything has been fine until today. And 2). I "fixed it" today by first closing OA5.1 down completely, connecting to the internet (with either Chrome or IE8), then re-starting OA5.1.

I didn't think to look at the Firewall Logs until some time after "fixing" it today, and coming to the forum where I found these posts from earlier in 2011. When I attempted to go to the Logs via the OA icon in my system tray, I got a blank page with Emsisoft at the top! I had to access the Logs via the Progams Folder in Windows. It showed the entry: "Blocked by ICMP rule; destination unreachable".

Do you have any suggestions regarding both the internet blockage, why I was able to clear it by temporarily shutting OA5.1 down, and why I couldn't access the Logs directly from the OA icon??

The Firewall log viewer only shows the latest logs. Older logs are stored in the Online Armor folder. Depending on the date of the log you looked at, it may not be related to the time at which your internet connection wasn't working. You would need to open the Firewall log viewer at the time you were experiencing the problem in order to easily see if anything is being blocked.

Thank you for clearing up the difference between the logs. OK, upon start up this AM, I (again) was blocked from the Internet. I discovered it when an auto-update of Ad-Aware detection criteria came to a stop.

This time I was ready and checked the logs right away (Firewall first, then the log in the OA folder); I will attach them here. ,

I'm puzzled that the logs refer to "Blocked by restricted Port List". The only "Port List" I have found is under Firewall Settings -> Rules -> Ports on the program home page. There, only "adawarebp.exe" (concerned with browsing protection!) is listed, but no indication of blockage.

While on this Firewall Settings page (Firewall Rules), the next Tab over from from Ports is "Interfaces". It has a single entry for my "Local Area Connection" (my router). Yesterday, when I stumbled upon this tab, the entry had a yellow question mark showing. Since I recognized the digital address (192.168.001.101) I clicked on "trust" and the question mark disappeared. (I mention this only because it is a setting I have changed close to the time of this Internet blocking issue.)

All this may sound rather convoluted and confusing -- it does to me! It's probably best to stop here and let you have a chance to see the logs and go on from there. Thanks for responding to my "plea for help"!! :(

There doesn't seem to be anything in the logs that shows any obvious reason why all internet access would be blocked. As far as the Restricted Ports lists, this is visible in the Firewall section only when working in Advanced Mode.

Do you have all your other security programs added to OA's exclusions list?

Yes, I agree the logs don't show any clear evidence relating to totally blocking internet access. I was led to this "suspicion" when I was able to regain internet connection after closing OA5.1 down. Perhaps that was just coincidence. Let's put "totally blocking" on hold until I get more experience with this issue.

OK, I found the Restricted Ports List by changing to Advanced Mode. The logs specifically connect the path "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware\AAWService.exe" to being blocked by the Restricted Ports List. But, I cannot find any recognizable evidence of this in the List -- they are all marked as "restricted" but I can't determine which one(s) are concerned with Lavasoft. ( :huh: ??) In responding to this now, I realize this is "off topic" regarding total internet blockage, but it occurred during the same time I was having difficulty accessing the internet. Perhaps it's another "coincidence", but the daily Lavasoft auto-updates (associated with AAWService.exe) are not completing lately (they just stop during the download). I am in contact with them on this matter but, seeing this reference in the logs, I wanted to be sure OA5.1 was not involved.

I double checked my exclusions list and the Lavasoft folder (including subfolders) is there. However, I found an "adawaretb" folder also shown under the "Program Files" folder. So, I added it to the exclusions list as well.

Unless you see something I'm missing, I guess we'll have to wait until I can gather more "clues". :unsure:

catprincess --

No problems today with access to the internet! :) But, the Firewall Log shows more/new "blocking events" that occurred today: 1 Ad-Aware Service.exe and 5 Google Chrome actions blocked by the Restricted Ports List; and 1 "ICMP Destination Unreachable" that was blocked by the ICMP Rule.

I'm not much concerned about the Ad-Aware blockage for now, because I think Lavasoft still has problems at their end. And the "Unreachable" -- well, I can't even guess what that's all about . . . what does "ICMP" stand for???

But, regarding the 5 Chrome issues, (which took place within only 4 seconds) and I was completely unaware of them until I saw the log! Is there some thing I need to do or change with my OA settings?? Or is this a "legitimate" action on the part of the firewall and it's OK to ignore it?? Where did this Restricted Ports List come from??

Maybe I should just stay in "Standard Mode" and forget about it (and stop looking at the Firewall Log!!) ;)

Entriessuch as these aren't uncommon in the Firewall log and are rarely connected with any noticeable problem. The Restricted Ports list is made up of ports that (in general) should not be exposed to the internet. The only people I know of that have needed to alter settings for Restricted Ports are those who need to connect to remote VPN's or sometimes remote desktops. In those cases, there is an obvious problem - it will not work until they alter the setting.

ICMP entries are also not uncommon in the firewall log. The following is from the help file regarding ICMP.

• ICMP – ICMP stands for Internet Control Message Protocol, and is a special type of RAW protocol used for sending small control messages between computers and reporting errors. Computers use ICMP to do things like sending one small packet to another computer to make sure that the other system is available and can be reached.

Basically, I just wouldn't worry about any of these types of log entries if you are looking at the log :)

OK, thank you for you insight. I saw the red overlay in the Firewall log and over reacted, I guess -- 'miss-read it to mean something important had been blocked, and corrective action on my part was needed. :P

"Restricted Ports" and "ICMP" aren't so mysterious anymore! (I'll start using the help file more too!!) :)