Where to get help

enrico68

I have quite a few files that are showing up after each scanning. I mainly surf financial websites, which I trust, and I would like to understand what these files are. I am writing in this forum, as I have sent a mail to customer support for analysis three times, without receiving any answer ([email protected]). I downloaded the trial version of a-squared antimalware, which is still valid for the next three weeks, and would like to evaluate the product before purchase, that is why I am trying to get some answers regarding the files that a-squared detects as malware. Is my pc infected? My antivirus, Avira Antivir scanned those files and had nothing to report as malicious about them, same thing my my free antispyware Malwarebites Antimalware. I really don't know where else to turn or who else to ask for some support from Emsi Software. The last thing, I set a-squared to update at a certain time of the day, and to also scan at a certain time of the day, but both functions don't seem to work, and I have to manually update the malware signature (manual download) and start the scanning manually as well.Are the last two features available only after purchase? It seems very strange though. Thanks for any help form Emsi, believe me I don't know where else to turn to get some help and see if I can understand what those files are, thank you in advance, I hope I can get some help through the forum

Enrico

I am not looking for an help in malware removal. I thought my post was clear, I am just trying to figure out how come no one at Emsi softare never replied to any of my e mails, I am just asking for those files to be analized so I can decide whether I should delete them from my quarantine list, what those files are related to, since two other products I have (Avira antivir and Malwarebites) do not recognize those files as malware. I hope this makes it cleare now.

I just did a deep scan and all a-squared found was a hook.dll malware. I attached the hook.dll file, but let me explain to you what that is. If I uninstall the Trust gaming mouse software, upon rebooting I get a message: Load DLL failed; if I install the mouse software again, right away under system 32 I see that hook.dll file again, the one attached. My guess is Trust named that file hook.dll, so some antimalware programs pick it up as a trojan. I scanned that hook.dll file with some other online scanners, and no one found it to be a malware. I tried with Trendmicro, kaspersky, Avira, Malwarebites, they seem to find that file clean and legitimate. I hope I made myself clear. Of course the Load DLL failed message is not there anymore. This trial thing has been done more then once on a reformatted disk, with the OS reinstalled from scratch. So, not a chance I could pick that dll file up from the internet.

Enrico

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Hook.dll

Is a malicious file.

Only files with the extensions of txt, log, pdf, rtf, rar and zip can be attached. Attachments of archives containing suspected malicious files are highly discouraged. We don't want unsuspecting users downloading and opening archives that contain malware.

You should complete all the scans in the thread I linked to earlier. Malware almost never travels alone, there could be more malicious files on the system.

Hi Shadow, I am sure you know more about malware then I do, and if you say I might have others files infected I believe you. Now, to my problem: once I rescan my disk, how do I send you the copy of the quarantine list? I need you to show me all the necessary steps to do that. Besides, if other files are infected, as you think, what if no other file is picked up in the quarantine list, beside the hook.dll ?

Second thing: if I want to become proficient in malware analysis,as you are, just as a personal interest, what should I be doing?

In the meantime I really thank you for giving me some of your time, I appreciate it, trust me.

Enrico

Hi Shadow, I take it I missed a lot of steps and rules in sending the infected file over for analysis, next time I'll make sure I read the link you posted before submitting any file. To make it short I just reformatted my hard disk, did a complete clean up and installed everything all over again. Sorry for not following the rules, and wasting your time. Next time I'll be more careful, thank you very much for your patience and support, I appreciate it, it was very nice of you, until next time, take care and again thank you :)

Enrico