Sign in to follow this  
Thankful

Problem with "Last Update"

The time reported by "last update" is currently reported as the last time update was ATTEMPTED by the user, not the time data updated. If there are no changes to signatures, white list, etc, the program still records the last attempted update as the "last update". This is clearly wrong. I noticed it is incorrect with the taskbar icon tooltip, not sure if it needs to be corrected elsewhere.

We had this discussion before. It comes down to personal taste. Most users are not interested in seeing when the last file was actually downloaded but when the last check was performed. That is why we decided to display the time of the last successful update check.

Fine. Then it should be labeled " Last update check" or "Last successful update check".

Whether something is right or wrong is not dependent on the number of people who agree with it.

Then someone will complain that it says "Last update check" although it wasn't only checked last time but something was actually downloaded and installed. If you feel strongly about it, I would suggest creating your own copy of the English language file where you can change texts as much as you want so they fit your personal preference. We most likely won't change it. We may add 2 different time indicators one day. But for now it will stay the way it is.

So I can have my final say on this, I point you to the part of the definition related to computers:

"to incorporate new or more accurate information in (a database, program, procedure, etc.)."

Whether something is right or wrong is not dependent on the number of people who agree with it.

From dictionary.com:

up·date

verb (used with object)

1. to bring (a book, figures, or the like) up to date, as by adding new information or making corrections: to update a science textbook

Computers . to incorporate new or more accurate information in (a database, program, procedure, etc.).

to bring (a person, organization, etc.) up to date on a particular subject: The magazine article will update you on the international situation

I really didn't want to start the whole discussion again. As I said, we had it before in the old forum. Someone else made the very same argument you just did, even quoting the same dictionary entry. Leaving alone the wrong lexical category of the definition ("update" in the context of "Last update" is not a verb) and the fact that dictionary.com is hardly a definitive resource for computer science definitions, using the definition you just proposed, and that I therefore assume to be the one you absolutely agree with, we end up with the wording being technically correct. The update definition file downloaded during the online update does not simply include a list of hashes and download URLs. It does actually contain "new or more accurate information" that is than "incorporated" into the application and its databases. The most obvious one is the server side time stamp that is used to update the local license information every time you click the online update button.

But I believe neither you nor I want to be the wisenheimer here that has to proof that he is right and the other is wrong. Personally I do believe we can improve the way the display works to make it more intuitive. I don't believe that changing the behavior of the label or the wording are the right way to accomplish that though. You may not be aware of it, but in previous versions the last update label behaved the way you proposed: Displaying the time of the last update that successfully replaced or added files. The result was, that we got support requests from users every day, who reported their auto-update doesn't work, because, although they configured hourly updates, the label showed that the last update was more than an hour ago. As a result we changed it to behave the way most of our users expect it to behave, which is the way it works now. An ideal solution, as I mentioned before, would be to display both times. Unfortunately such a change would be more complex than one may think. The space on the security status screen is already quite sparse in some localized versions, so just adding a new label will cause a huge mess there and is downright impossible without changing a lot of other things like general window constraints, graphics etc.. So we postponed it until we have to rework the status screen anyways, which in my opinion is reasonable given the fact that, including you, only two persons in total brought it up in a few years.