jagdtigger

Online Armor causing BSOD

Greetings!

I tried to install online armor but after logging in I get this screen(i tried two time to log in, then uninstalled oa):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1201829/oa/DSC00370.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1201829/oa/DSC00374.jpg

Win7 HP SP1 x64

other security software:

Avast Free

Spybot S&D(tea timer and ie protection is disabled

previus firevall:

Outpost Security Suite

Thank you in advance for the help :) .

Hi jagdtigger,

Is this with OA 5.1.1.1395?  Do you have a minidump you can upload for the developers to take a look at?

I think yes, file version: 5.1.1.1395. Unfortunately, the system is somehow not created a dmp file :S (probably because the paging is disabled[no pagefile.sys]).

Unfortunately without a dump file there's not much chance of pinpointing a specific cause.

All I can suggest are

• Make sure that Avast and Spybot are excluded in OA during the Safety Check Wizard.
  • If it's possible there may be remants of Outpost left, you might need to run a clean up tool if the vendor provides one.
  • If you happen to have VirtualBox installed, this can cause BSOD's when installing OA (a reported workaround is uninstalling VirtualBox while installing OA)

I think yes, file version: 5.1.1.1395. Unfortunately, the system is somehow not created a dmp file :S (probably because the paging is disabled[no pagefile.sys]).

This is exactly the reason why you see no dump files being created. During a BSOD Windows doesn't trust the NTFS driver anymore because it may have been damaged by the same problem that caused the BSOD. So it simply is not an option to actually create a new or open an existing file which believe it or not are relatively complicated operations. Instead it will write the dump to a file that has already been created/opened and where it doesn't matter if the write operations fail for some other reason because the file is discarded on reboot anyways: The Windows page file. During boot Windows will look into the page file if a dump is stored there and if it is extract it to the correct position (c:\windows\memory.dmp or c:\windows\minidumps).

As a consequence if you don't have a page file or the page file isn't large enough to store the chosen dump type no dump file is created at all. So I would like to ask you to enable your page file again so you are able to obtain the required crash dumps. Thanks :).

Thank you for submitting your dump. I looked into it and as Catprincess already suspected you have Virtual Box installed. The blue screen you experience is not caused by Online Armor but the Virtual Box network driver. Essentially it doesn't validate its input parameters correctly and tries to free memory that hasn't been allocated yet. This has been a known Virtual Box issue for a very long time but they don't want or don't care to fix it.

For further information you may want to take a look here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9726