Emsisoft Anti-Malware ui question

This is pertaining to Emsisoft Anti-Malware Freeware version 5.1.0.19 running on XP Pro SP3:

Whenever I launch the Emsisoft Anti-Malware user interface (a2start.exe), the following program named v6updater.exe runs:

clip1m.jpg

My question is, if I choose to "Update now", will I end up with a version that is not Freeware? Thanks

Version 6 has a free mode, and includes a free trial of the premium features. After the free trial has ended, it will automatically switch into the free mode where you can still use the free features (such as on-demand scanning/cleaning of your PC).

I am not aware of one, however I will ask the development team if it can be turned off.

Thanks Arthur - it would be great if I could turn that off. Also, it appears that Version 6 will not run on XP SP2 machines. This is unfortunate because my other PC runs XP SP2 and I don't want to keep getting that pop-up if I can't upgrade.

Thanks Arthur - it would be great if I could turn that off. Also, it appears that Version 6 will not run on XP SP2 machines. This is unfortunate because my other PC runs XP SP2 and I don't want to keep getting that pop-up if I can't upgrade.

that can be fixed very easy, just rename v6updater.exe to v6updater.ex, then it can´t run...

that can be fixed very easy, just rename v6updater.exe to v6updater.ex, then it can´t run...

I would strongly discourage anyone from doing that or any other tricks to stop the popup from showing up. There is a reason why you can't disable the popup because we want the user to upgrade to 6.0. We currently still provide signature updates for 5.x but we will discontinue 5.x updates within the next weeks. If people didn't upgrade by then they will no longer receive signature updates which makes them more vulnerable to malware attacks.

This is unfortunate because my other PC runs XP SP2 and I don't want to keep getting that pop-up if I can't upgrade.

You really should consider an upgrade to Service Pack 3. It is free and includes a bunch of fixes that will greatly increase your systems security, performance and compatibility. Service Pack 2 is no longer supported by Microsoft and contains a whole bunch of high risk security flaws that will make it a lot easier for malware to infiltrate and take over your system.

I can't remember why I was told that I can't upgrade to SP3 on my two SP2 machines (and I have no interest in learning why or spending more time trying to solve it - these machines are bound for the recycling center once I can afford to upgrade).

For now, Avast! is working is working satisfactorilly. Cheers