Confused, is EAM also AV?

Hi there,

I purchased Mamutu but have been advised EAM might be more suitable for my needs.

As I researched EAM I've been unclear about one issue, is EAM also a full blown anti-virus?

I recently moved to W7 Home Premium from XPpro 32. Do I just install EAM or does it work alongside an AV, as more traditional anti-malware products have done?

Many thanks,

Chigwells

EAM can function as your primary anti-virus, or it can run alongside other anti-virus or anti-malware software. It has been specifically designed to work in real-time with security software from other vendors.

Since, technically, the term 'malware' just means "malicious software", and can include viruses, trojans, spyware, rootkits, worms, etc. our developers and researchers prefer for EAM to handle it all. ;)

Hi Arthur, thanks for that.

Just to be sure I understand you:

EAM can be my sole Anti-virus and Anti-Malware product

EAM can also run together with conventional Anti-Virus products such as Avira Antivir etc etc?

That is really interesting as I always understood you can only run one AV. That raises an interesting question, would EAM together with a third party AV be more successful at detection than just EAM.

As I have just purchased Mamutu, I think now I will replace it with EAM. How does this sound as a line of defence:

On my new machine I was going to run Microsoft Security Essentials together with Windows Defender, Comodo firewall, with Mamutu in the background, together with SandboxIE

Now it looks like I'm favouring EAM, Comodo firewall, together with SandboxIE.

Any thoughts please?

Many thanks, Chigwells

EAM can be my sole Anti-virus and Anti-Malware product

EAM can also run together with conventional Anti-Virus products such as Avira Antivir etc etc?

Exactly. ;)

That is really interesting as I always understood you can only run one AV. That raises an interesting question, would EAM together with a third party AV be more successful at detection than just EAM.

How well two anti-viruses work together depends partially on how they are designed to function, and partially on whether or not they know to leave each other alone. EAM is specifically designed to run alongside of other security software without conflicts, however if a conflict should arise then excluding EAM's processes in the other security software should resolve the conflict.

As far as increasing security when using EAM in conjunction with an anti-virus or anti-malware from another vendor, there are many experts who strongly believe in a layered security approach and agree that it does enhance security.

Now it looks like I'm favouring EAM, Comodo firewall, together with SandboxIE.

That should work fairly well. You may also want to consider the Web Of Trust extension as well, since it is free, and adds a extra layer of security to your web browsing (it's very useful when using search engines).

When you say, "That should work fairly well..." do you think I could improve on this?

i suggest that that you also add WinPatrol, www.winpatrol.com, it monitors if a program secretly tries to install something in the background without asking for your permission.

Winpatrol is FREE and works without any problem together with EAM, MSE, Comodo, Avira etc.

i know, look at my signature...