Well, I've been patient in the hope that such a significant issue would be flagged and fixed, but though it has been raised by someone with XP SP3 more intent on getting OA off their PC no fix seems in site.

I've got an AMD Phenom CPU and XP SP3 and since 5.1.1.1395, just like that Oct 2011 post, my system boots until the background wallpaper appears, then sits there for over 1.5 minutes, before the desktop appears normally and booting finally continues. This approximately doubles the boot time....

Help! Please!

CPU AMD Phenom 9750

M3A Asus Motherboard

4GB (3.2 usable) RAM

XP SP3

Avira 2011 free

OA free 5.1.1.1395

res

How did you install build 1395, was it as a new install, or by downloading it and installing over the top of your previous build?

If you did a clean install did you import any settings from a previous build?

If you did, I would suggest uninstalling OA, rebooting twice (this removes the drivers correctly) and installing afresh.

By the way,have you listed all your security software and what was your previous firewall, was it totally uninstalled?

Please let us know how you get on.

Answers in order:

Upgrade install.

So kept all settings. That's the whole idea!

A complete uninstall/reinstall means starting from scratch - yuk. OA has enough trouble remembering what its got now without a deliberate cleanout....

Unlikely old software is an issue, I replaced Zone Alarm with OA v3 a long time ago, AVG with Avira about 2 years ago and did thourough removal of both old software.

Answers in order:

Upgrade install.

So kept all settings. That's the whole idea!

A complete uninstall/reinstall means starting from scratch - yuk. OA has enough trouble remembering what its got now without a deliberate cleanout....

Unlikely old software is an issue, I replaced Zone Alarm with OA v3 a long time ago, AVG with Avira about 2 years ago and did thourough removal of both old software.

Hi res

I am on XP SP3 and I don't see any issue. Clearly there is an issue on your machine. We all know it is more work to completely uninstall and resinstall, but that eliminates the possiblity of a problem in the installation. It is of course totally up to you, but when people sugggest you do something from their experience, it might be wiser to give it a try.

Pete

Yep - hold the horses. Going through the uninstall process, checking stranded drivers etc, I then noticed an event against the Windows Image Aquisition (WIA) service, which was hanging every boot, but suceeding in starting eventually.

Setting WIA to manual to stop it starting at boot solves the issue (though not the underlying cause).

In short, my problem has nothing to do with OA. I probably used the scanner the same day as I upgraded OA. I don't understand what changed, but can't see how OA has anything to do with it.

Now to reinstall OA - sigh.....

PS after removing OA, rebooting twice I found three hidden device drivers and five prefetch files, nothing running.

When you say you found three hidden drivers do you mean the grey/ghost drivers showing in device manager after doing show hidden devices?

(if you do you probably did the 'devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices' routine)

Just right-click delete them.

How did the new install go?