Sign in to follow this  
Nick

OA 5.5: password protection and upgrade/updates

Hello, my question is about both OA 5.5 Free and OA 5.5 Premium.

What happens if OA is password protected with locked GUI, the automatic daily updates are enabled and there's a new version available?

Will OA silently upgrade? Will it prompt for rebooting the system? will it notify anything?

And what about single module updates? any notifications to the user or system reboot request?

Regards

I'd like to add that I have password-protected OA on my parents' PC (they are not computer-savvy) for security reasons.

So it'd be very helpful for me to gain some information on how OA behaves in the situation described in my original post.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hi Nick,

I've just finished looking into this. With the GUI locked and automatic updates enabled, OA will still automatically download and install a program version update. If a reboot is required (99% of the time this will be the case), you'll see a normal Windows dialog box in the middle of your screen notifying you that Online Armor has been updated and a reboot is required. The box will ask you choose whether you to perform the reboot now or not. If you choose not to, the update will be completed whenever the computer is next rebooted.

As far as whitelist/blacklist updates, they also occur with the GUI locked if you have automatic updates enabled. They should be performed silently without any notification in the case of a locked GUI (whereas you will receive a little notification from OA about it if the GUI is unlocked).

Catprincess, very useful information since I couldn't test the program upgrade scenario by myself.

Thank you very much for your help.