LFinBA

a2start.exe - no disk

Am I the only one having this error?

From time to time, an error message pops up on my screen on top of any open window (running Windows 7). Here's what it says:

a2start.exe - no disk

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into

\Device\Harddisk3\DR3.

I am given the options Cancel, Try Again and Continue...but none works. I can't even close it in Task Manager. The only way I have found to get rid of it temporarily is to reboot.

I have gone through all the steps suggested by Shadow Puter Dude in the "remove an infection" forum but found nothing. And I have Googled the issue only to find dozens of complaints like mine...but no solution. Furthermore, I can find no such drive in Device Manager.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Laurie

Apparently I am the only one this is happening to....and now it's gotten worse. The error message now appears not only for a2start.exe but for CCLeaner64.exe as well. I went to the site recommended ( http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/logonuiexe-no-disk-there-is-no-disk-in-the-drive/7a158e14-6a56-4bfd-b1b5-796c3ccea3b0 ) but it says:

This issue occurs when all the following conditions are all true:

• You have a removable drive configured as drive letter C.

• You do not have a removable disk in the removable disk drive.

I don't have a removable disk installed and if I did, it would not be configured as C: But I put a disk into the CD-DVD drive, rebooted and attempted the same operation; In this case, starting Emsisoft Anti-Malware (paid)...and voila! The same problem. So then I attempted to uninstall the Anti-Malware and then reinstall...but Windows 7 will not let me. When I ran a MS troubleshooter, I was told that Emsisoft is an "incompatible application" ... very strange since it's running perfectly on my netbook which also has Windows 7. Clearly there's either something I'm doing wrong or there's some kind of bug in the current installation or perhaps in my OS.

Can anybody help?

Laurie

No...I don't know what Readyboost is. And yes: I have a couple of usb drives plugged in (back up drive and a VoIP dongle). I will remove them and see if the error reproduces.

No...I don't know what Readyboost is. ...

Here's a link to information from Microsoft on ReadyBoost. They have instructions on turning it on and off, which should help you check and see if it's on.