Koosharem

Adobe Flash Player Installer Labeled "Dangerous"

After completing the download of Flash Player from the Adobe website, I was about to begin the installation process when OA5.1 issued an alert advising this program ("Install Flashplayer 11x32ax gtbp mssa aih[1].exe") was determined to be: "a virus or dangerous program".

With a warning like that I aborted the installation. I checked the Properties for this file, and found that it was "Signed" by Adobe Systems, Inc. and carried the version number 3.2.1.9.

Is this really an OA "mistake/false positive" ?? Is there some way I can get solid confirmation this IS, indeed, a bogus/dangerous file that I should not risk installing on my system?? :(

Without the actual file there is no way of telling. Can you please attach the file to your next reply? File attachment options become available after you click the "More Reply Options" button.

I am getting it as well... the file in question is the current flash 11 installer:

install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe

the link I get directed to to download it is (this is with the mcafee bloatware option DEselected):

http://get.adobe.com...rowsers_(64_bit)&os=Windows%207&browser_type=Gecko&browser_dist=Firefox&d=McAfee_Security_Scan_Plus

The file is attached (had to zip it using windows built in zip support)

Hello,

If you search on forum, there are many similar threads asking the same questions. Basically, if you get it from the original source you should not have to worry.

Without the actual file there is no way of telling. Can you please attach the file to your next reply? File attachment options become available after you click the "More Reply Options" button.

Sorry Fabian, I've tried the "advanced uploader" (that "blinks" and returns the suggestion "try our basic uploader"). I've attached files on this and other forums before and had no difficulty. Now, with this string of "failures to attach", apparently even the post without the attachment isn't going anywhere!! :blush:

So, has there been a final decision rendered as to the safety/trustworthiness of this application? I always receive my notices about these things from Security Garden. They've never advised me toward anything that's compromised my machine, yet I don't want to ignore such an ominus warning from O.A.?

Has O.A. become unreliable or is the threat genuine?

I guess no response indicates a flaw in O.A.?

From what I can tell, these notifications are false positives. I have installed the last two Flash versions after downloading them directly from the Adobe website provided by Secunia PSI with no apparent problems.

The biggest concern I have is why there need to be so many Flash updates, and why so many websites will not run important content without the most recent version of Flash, which may have been released only hours earlier, installed on a computer--no matter how limited the changes are. This is very user unfriendly, and may not give malware/firewall publishers time to react without false positives. Adobe's influence on the market with it's apparent lack of concern for the consumer, is disappointing and ominous--IMO.

Secunia PSI has been recommending the Flash update. Alternative is to lose significant functionality. In addition, I have found no credible [malware] problems on search engines related to latest Flash version. I have done the install, with no problems yet, downloaded directly from Adobe website. Seems like false positive.