Sign in to follow this  
mundial

Confusion regarding EAM files downloaded

I have started a trial of EAM 6.0.0.57 a few days back. Meanwhile my PC crashed. Today i reinstalled and tried to update the signatures. The upload size shown was 89MB. I felt that the update size may be too big. So I started looking for MD5 checksums. I found 3 different MD5 checksums for the same versions.

1. Could NOT find any on your web site for cross verifying

2. 713D7B1CE5B697DEAA99976B9571E908 on filehippo.com for version 6.0.0.57

3. E47F69F689AA4DC273569EEF51240424 for the SAME version downloaded from your site TODAY (size 15300 Kb)

4. 1BD7688E571ACCE9CE2060330B02FF8F or the SAME version downloaded from your site on 13-FEB-2012 (size 15450 Kb)

My query is why this difference? Do you update the file very often even for the same version? And do the file size vary with your updates in the SAME version? Or is my download malicious/contaminated?

Other details

Thank you,

Mundial

Hi mundial,

To answer your questions:

The upload size shown was 89MB. I felt that the update size may be too big.

If you miss a certain amount of IKARUS updates (50 to be more precise), it will download the entire database (~ 72 MB) instead of only the differential updates. It usually takes about 3 to 5 days to miss 50 IKARUS updates. So if the setup you used for your installation is older than that, it will download the entire IKARUS database during the installation/on first update.

1. Could NOT find any on your web site for cross verifying

All our binaries and setups are digitally signed. If you want to make sure the setup you downloaded hasn't been tampered with, just check the digital signature. You can do that by right clicking the file, selecting "Properties". This will bring up the file properties dialog. There you can switch to the "Digital Signatures" tab and double click the Emsi Software GmbH signature entry from the list to bring up the Digital Signature Details. Under general it should say that "This digital signature is OK.". If it says anything else or if the entire Digital Signatures tab is missing from the file properties tab, the file has been tampered with.

My query is why this difference? Do you update the file very often even for the same version? And do the file size vary with your updates in the SAME version?

We recompile the setups regularly to include the newest signatures. So for one and the same version there can be many different setup files.