mundial

How exactky does banking mode work?

Isn't it NOT supposed to connect to any site other than the protected/trusted domain list? And if thats the case, how did Windows connect to Microsoft and activate itself on my PC? Or does it work in some other way?

1. Without asking for permission?

and

2. When MS is not on my trusted/protected list?

I have NOT checked 'automatically allow trusted programs to access the Net'.

Thanks.OA Premium latest, Windows Vista SP2.

Hi mundial,

Microsoft domains remain accessible while in Banking Mode, by design. There would still need to be a firewall rule present for the process that performs activation in order for it to make a connection though (one could have been created during the initial learning mode perhaps).

Thanks for the explanation catprincess. As you mentioned there was a firewall rule from learning mode (always present with svchost, wininit, lsass etc). I have my doubts on this too, but I'll open a new thread for this.

Are there any other domains other than MS that are accessible by default? So whats the way to disable them? Put *microsoft.com* in blocked list?

There is the option in Domains - Options to "Ignore Online Armor domains list", however that will have no effect on domains that have been hardcoded as allowed. Certain domains such as Microsoft and Emsisoft's domains are always accessible. It's critical that people don't accidently block Microsoft and be unable to receive Windows Updates and Emsisoft domains are always allowed to ensure that it's not possible for customers to accidently block them and be unable to receive support due to this.

Hi cat, let me first thank you here for all the replies in this and other threads. Now do the domains list work only for banking mode? In advanced mode, When I use mywot.com -> blocked or noscript.net -> blocked, firefox can still make connections, but not in banking mode.

You're welcome :) If you block a domain, it should be blocked in all modes. Have you tried entering your domain with the format www.mywot.com in OA, or *.mywot.com The domain should then be blocked if you enter it like this, but let us know if you are still having problem with it.