brianj

Question about compatability with Malwarebytes

I would just like to ask for the official line on whether it is considered safe to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with real time protection enabled alongside Emisoft Anti-Malware.

Malwarebytes always state that their tool will run co-operatively with other anti-virus applications but most anti-virus suppliers completely contradict that statement and say that under no circumstances should any other real time protection tool be run in parallel with theirs.

I am currently running Emsisoft real time and Malwarebytes real time in parallel (having set each tool to exclude the main files of the other) with no obvious problems of freezes but I just want to check whether it is considered safe to do so.

Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Emsisoft's real time protection has been designed with compatibility in mind. Therefore you can use it together with Malwarebytes. I would suggest you create "Process" exclusions for the Malwarebytes processes though to avoid Emsisoft Anti-Malware from monitoring file accesses performed by Malwarebytes. To do that simply open Emsisoft Anti-Malware, go to "Guard"/"File Guard" and click on the "Manage whitelist" link. There you can add entries for all Malwarebytes processes. Just make sure that you set the type to "Process" and that all 3 check boxes are checked.

Hi Fabian,

Many thanks for the quick reply. That is very reassuring to hear and I think you may be the first provider of a "full" real time anti-virus guard (as opposed to a supplemental security tool like Malwarebytes) I have heard of with such a co-operative attitude. Excellent!

Regards,

Brian

Brian,

Just a quick note to let you know that I have used those exclusions myself (for mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe) within EAM and have seen no conflicts.

I also exclude the two running processes of EAM and the four for Online Armor within Malwarebytes.

I run Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (both with real-time protection) on my computer, and experience no conflicts. They work quite well together, and I haven't needed to add exclusions yet. ;)

Arthur, in regard to your your answer, do you feel it is better to leave off the mutual exclusions by and large?

I have tended to exclude real-time security apps from one another based upon admonitions I've read on these forums in the past.

(The question is not intended to finger point or stir controversy, just meant to get perspective.)

Thanks for your help as always.

Arthur, in regard to your your answer, do you feel it is better to leave off the mutual exclusions by and large?

I only use them when I have to (except for in testing, because it is important to see how each product reacts to each other with and without exclusions). That doesn't mean that I believe they are bad when they aren't needed, I just don't bother with it on my own computer if the software doesn't conflict.

I do know that Samuel Lindsey of Malwarebytes says he's had issues where adding exclusions when not needed caused system freezes with a certain anti-virus software (not Emsisoft Anti-Malware), however I have never personally experienced this phenomenon in my own testing. As for why Samuel may have experienced this issue, I do not know (it didn't make sense to me), and as far as I know Samuel was the only one to experience the issue during testing.

It has always been my experience, in my own testing, that adding exclusions (even when not needed) does not appear to have any negative consequences. I know that adding exclusions can help with performance when running more than one security software negatively impacts the performance of your computer, and if you do have some performance issues, and adding exclusions helps, then I do recommend using them.

I've tried MBAM Pro With/without EAM, and it blocked Many wanted changes to my computer if active/ same with All webguards I've tried (disabled).

I uninstalled MBAM Pro, and reinstalled with on-demand only (whitelisted MBAM folder, with scan un-checked).

I've tried MBAM Pro With/without EAM, and it blocked Many wanted changes to my computer if active/ same with All webguards I've tried (disabled).

I uninstalled MBAM Pro, and reinstalled with on-demand only (whitelisted MBAM folder, with scan un-checked).

You don't have to uninstall MBAM to prevent its services from loading on startup. All you have to do is uncheck the option to start with Windows (either by right-clicking on the System Tray icon for MBAM or by opening MBAM and going to the Protection tab) and then restart your computer.

You don't have to uninstall MBAM to prevent its services from loading on startup. All you have to do is uncheck the option to start with Windows (either by right-clicking on the System Tray icon for MBAM or by opening MBAM and going to the Protection tab) and then restart your computer.

I tried that, and it still slowed my system! It's still working in background...-

Check your HD lights normal solid flashing about 8min after startup- 75sec no-windows-startup... vs 30sec uninstalled/on-demand only (don't register!).

Slows restart 10sec too.

~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW!- Windows Defender (Windows All) Really slows your system, even if disabled it is still silently double-checking...!

You have to enable it, & then un-tick EVERY option in All left menu Options/disable & reboot.

You will be Amazed at how much faster your system is!