Sign in to follow this  
amspeedy

Automatic update takes half my cpu usage and my VPN disconnects

Online Armor premium on three PCs.

Specs on the computer I'm having problems with:

Online Armor Premium 5.5.0.1557

OS WinXP pro SP3

AV Currently none. NOD32 expired and uninstalled. Tried F-secure and uninstalled. Will be installing something soon.

I use a paid VPN service.

For the record I have two WinXP machines and one win7 machine which Is going to replace the oldest WinXP machine. I had the same problem on both XP machines, but the one that is getting retired responded when I set it update manually.

My problem began a little over a month ago: My VPN kept disconnecting and reconnecting. html pages began loading very slowly. I had a very difficult time surfing the web. I erroneously blamed the VPN company. Then by looking at Windows Task manager I discovered that every time this was happening Online Armor was taking about fifty percent of my CPU's processing power. Looking at Online Armor I found it was trying to update. I've tried canceling the updates to no avail. I've tried setting the updates to "once a month" to no avail. I've tried setting the updates to "manual" to no avail. Online armor keeps trying to update every hour. The only solution has been to close Online Armor if I can catch it in time, otherwise my PC grinds to a halt, nothing responds, and the only solution is a hard reboot.

Any help appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Please open Online Armor, go to 'Options' in the menu on the left, click the little check box to enable debug mode (just above the "Run Safety Check Wizard", restart your computer, and then try to reproduce the issue (or wait until it happens again). After that, please ZIP your entire logs folder (normally C:\Program Files\Online Armor\Logs) and send it to [email protected] so that our developers can take a look at them.

Note that, if you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to "Send To", and clicking on "Compressed (zipped) Folder".