Sign in to follow this  
JDG

High CPU usage during scan

I've just started the trial of EAM and although I like the program I'm having a problem with CPU usage hitting bewtween 90% and 100% during scans which causes the PC to be pretty much unusable during scans.

Is this normal or is there something I've missed?

Win 7 64bit.

Thanks in advance.

I don't recall any CPU usage that high in any of my testing. What kind of processor does your computer have, and do you have any other security software installed?

Quad Core E6600 / 8GB Ram - I do have MalwareBytes installed but even if I disable this I get the high CPU usage.

I did have a search on the internet and there is a reference to high CPU usage here - it seems it might be just during on demand scans. Is there any way to limit the resources used in any way even if it were to increase the length of time for a scan?

John

Quad Core E6600 / 8GB Ram - I do have MalwareBytes installed but even if I disable this I get the high CPU usage.

Simply disabling Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware won't make a difference, as the service stays loaded in memory. You would have to right-click on the System Tray/Notification Area icon for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and uncheck the option to "Start with Windows" (either that or open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and uncheck the option to start the protection with Windows from the 'Protection' tab).

I don't expect this to make a difference, however, as I run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware on a system with a much older and much slower dual-core CPU, and I don't experience any CPU usage issues when I scan with Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I did have a search on the internet and there is a reference to high CPU usage here - it seems it might be just during on demand scans. Is there any way to limit the resources used in any way even if it were to increase the length of time for a scan?

The only way would be lowering the process priority for the EXE doing the scanning, but I'm pretty certain that the built-in protection in Emsisoft Anti-Malware would prevent you from doing that.

I know Kaspersky has an option to release resources to other applications - just wondered if EAM has something similar.

If you think it's something that Emsisoft Anti-Malware could benefit from, then feel free to leave a suggestion for our developers. ;)

On two different systems i have a CPU usage between 90% and 100%, too. But not all the time, the program is scanning. But it's enough, that i never use another program in that time, that need a higher CPU usage, because the system would be stopp.

And i have only EAM as Antivirus.

High CPU usage during scanning is not abnormal. The amount of CPU usage can depend on how many cores your CPU has, and how quickly your CPU processes data.