Sign in to follow this  
b-mic80

PC infected by Trojans

Attempted several scans today, first froze on a different file this time:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ink\InkDiv.dll

Second time I got the bsod. Third time I got the message "Windows must now restart because the power service terminated unexpectedly". I've not seen that one before!

On the plus side, one of my email contacts who previously advised he was getting spam emails from me says he's not had any for several weeks so it seems something's been fixed at least.

You can try reinstalling Service Pack 1 for Windows 7, and see if that resolves the issue. You can download Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 x64 directly from Microsoft at this link (903.2 MB). I can't make any guarantee that reinstalling Service Pack 1 will help, however there is a possibility that if Service Pack 1 updates the files that are causing these problems then the issue might be repaired.

Hi,

Might have sorted it without reinstalling service pack 1. Action centre came up with a message suggesting I run the Windows disk error-checking tool, tried this and Windows replaced bad clusters in the IpsPlugin file. Have now completed a scan with avast! and this time all files were scanned ok and nothing came up. What should I do next? Thanks

Bad sectors on the hard drive? That explains everything. I should have asked you to do a full-sector scan on the chkdsk.

Try the ESET scan again, and see if it completes:

1. Turn off your anti-virus software.
  2. Click on this link.
  3. Click on the ESET Online Scanner button.
  4. Put a check in the box that says YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  5. Click the 'Start' button just to the right of the checkbox.
  6. Uncheck the box that says Remove found threats (this is very important).
  7. Click on Advanced settings.
  8. Put a check in the box that says Scan for potentially unsafe applications.
  9. Verify that Scan for potentially unwanted applications is also checked.
  10. Verify that Enable Anti-Stealth technology is also checked.
  11. Click the Start button in the lower-right corner of the page, and it will begin downloading it's database, and then it will start scanning.
  12. When the scan is done, if it shows a screen that says Threats found!, then click List of found threats, and then click Export to text file... (if nothing was found, then just let me know that no threats were found).
  13. Save that text file on your desktop, and then attach it to a reply (using the More Reply Options button in the lower-right corner of this forum topic) for me.
  14. Close the ESET online scan.

I will take a look at the log, and let you know if anything needs removed.

OK, if the scans are completing and coming up clean then I'd say that your computer is most likely OK now.

Here's some final instructions for you:

1. Make Sure Java is Updated:

1. Click on the
    Start
    button.

2. Click on
    Control Panel

3. Click
    Uninstall a program

4. Look for Java in the list (should be alphabetical), and uninstall all versions of Java that you find listed.

5. Click on
    this link
    and download and install the latest Java (the
    Windows Online
    download will be faster).

2. Make Sure Adobe Flash is Updated:

1. Click on
    this link
    and download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player for your web browser.

2. You will need to close your web browser when installing Flash.

3. Make Sure Adobe Acrobat Reader is Updated:

1. Click on the
    Start
    button.

2. Click on
    Control Panel

3. Click
    Uninstall a program

4. Look for any versions of Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat Reader in the list (should be alphabetical), and uninstall all of them (if you have Adobe Acrobat, which is the premium software from Adobe, then you
    do not
    need to uninstall it).

5. Click on
    this link
    to go to the Adobe Reader download page, make sure to unselect any offers for toolbars or other free software, and download and install the latest version of Adobe Reader.

(please note that some people do prefer to use third-party PDF viewers such as
PDF X-Change Viewer
and
Foxit Reader
which are not as commonly exploited as Adobe Reader, so if you would prefer to use one of those then you do not need to download and install Adobe Reader)

4. Make Sure Your Computer Has The Latest Windows Updates:

1. Click on the
    Start
    button.

2. Go to
    All Programs

3. Click on
    Windows Update

4. Click
    Check for updates
    in the menu on the left (should be near the top).

5. Once it is done checking for updates, click the
    Install updates
    button on the right.

6. Make sure that if your computer wants to restart after the updates are done, that you allow it so.

5. Web Of Trust Extension:

While this is not a requirement, I highly recommend that you click
this link
and check out the Web Of Trust extension for your web browser. It will add an extra layer of protection to your web browsing for free, and it is especially helpful when doing searches on Google, Yahoo!, Bing, etc. as it will point out what sites are considered trustworthy and what sites are not by drawing a colored circle to the right of each search result. Green means trusted, red means not trusted, yellow is in between, and white means it is not in Web Of Trust's database.

6. Empty The System Restore:

1. Click on the
    Start
    button.

2. Right-click on
    Computer

3. Select
    Properties
    from the list.

4. In the window that pops up, click on the
    System protection
    link in the menu on the left.

5. The buttons may not be clickable for a few moments, but once you can click on them select the drive in the list near the bottom that shows protection is on (this will usually be you
    C:
    drive) and click the
    Configure...
    button.

6. Click the button near the bottom-right that says
    Delete
    to clear all System Restore data.

7. Once finished, click
    OK
    to close that window.

8. Now you will want to make sure that the correct drive is selected again (usually your
    C:
    drive) and click on the
    Create
    button to create a new restore point.

9. Fill in a name for the restore point, and click the
    Create
    button.

10. Once it is done, you can close the windows that were opened to get to the System Restore settings.

You're quite welcome. ;)

Since everything seems OK, I am going to go ahead and close this topic.

Note: The instructions in this forum topic have been customized based on the logs posted by the person asking for assistance. Please do not attempt to follow any of the instructions in this forum topic, as they could cause damage to your computer. If you require assistance, please start here if you believe your computer is infected, and one of our experts will be happy to assist you by analyzing your logs.