How to prevent prgm aaa.exe from calling Internet THROUGH browser?

Ok, with OA I can deny the DIRECT Internet access of a program say aaa.exe. Fine.

But what if the program does not connect the Internet directly but calls the default browser (here Internet Explorer 9 under 64bit Win) and passes an Internet URL with critical parameters?

This works resp. OnlineArmor allows this!

I observed this many times that e.g. a prgm when installed or uninstalled calls its "home company" server indirectly

and let the browser show some product information web pages or request the reason for uninstalling on web page forms.

This is annoying and a big security hole.

How can I prevent this with OA?

Obviously I don't want to prohibit my browser completely to access Internet.

So it must be another way from OA side to block calls from critical programs to browsers.

Is there a way ?

Peter

If program aaa.exe is unknown (salmon coloured) in the Program's list, you should by default be asked about this behaviour via a popup.

If program aaa.exe is trusted and you want to block such behaviour you can do the following (this assumes you are working in Advanced Mode):

1. Double click program aaa.exe in the Programs list.
  2. When the Advanced Options dialog box appears, under the heading "Permissions", click "Start Applications". Unless you have previously made changes here, the radio box will be defaulted to "Allow all" since the program is trusted. Change it to "Allow except". Now click the "Add" button and add the exes's for your browsers. Click OK.

If you are working in Standard Mode instead, you can't configure the permissions individually for separate programs (eg for just your browsers), Instead you can either toggle "Start Applications" between either "Allow" or "Block", which means either program aaa.exe is allowed to start all programs, or, is blocked from starting all programs.

• Upvote 1

If program aaa.exe is unknown (salmon coloured) in the Program's list, you should by default be asked about this behaviour via a popup.

If program aaa.exe is trusted and you want to block such behaviour you can do the following (this assumes you are working in Advanced Mode):

1. Double click program aaa.exe in the Programs list.
  2. When the Advanced Options dialog box appears, under the heading "Permissions", click "Start Applications". Unless you have previously made changes here, the radio box will be defaulted to "Allow all" since the program is trusted. Change it to "Allow except". Now click the "Add" button and add the exes's for your browsers. Click OK.

If you are working in Standard Mode instead, you can't configure the permissions individually for separate programs (eg for just your browsers), Instead you can either toggle "Start Applications" between either "Allow" or "Block", which means either program aaa.exe is allowed to start all programs, or, is blocked from starting all programs.

Ok, thank you.

How do I switch to "Advanced Mode"? Is this a feature of the "pro" version?

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for using our support forum.

If you are using the Trial Version of Online Armor Firewall or if you have a license key for Online Armor Premium,

you are able to switch to 'Advanced Mode'. Just if you are using the 'Freeware Mode' it is not possible.

To switch the mode right klick on the shield of Online Armor in the Windows Task Bar.

Now you should be able to see a context menu with the entries 'Standard Mode', 'Advanced Mode' and 'Banking Mode'.

Please just click on the mode you want Online Armor to run to.

Alternatively you can also open the main window of OA and choose 'Status' in the menu on the left.

Directly below the words 'System Status' you should see the active mode of Online Armor.

Please just click it to change the mode.

If you should have any further questions, please feel free to post here!