queenslander

More about Banking Mode

Posted in the other thread about banking mode not working

"At one time it was only possible to access the specific bank in the days of Emu. When did that change and why, with the exceptions noted above.

In banking mode I can now access email addresses at Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail. Surely this should not be possible, especially with the dubious security reputations of these places."

When I first started with OA free in the days of Tall Emu (around '07 I think), only my specific bank site was accessible when banking mode was engaged.

The "specific bank" I mentioned in the other post was intended to mean - the bank of the user at that time, who ever it might be. Sorry poor wording.

catprincess posted - " None of the domains you listed are accessible here in Banking Mode. If your AV uses a proxy and you've excluded this AV in OA, this behaviour would be expected as mentioned in the known issues thread. If that isn't the case for you, please feel free to start your own thread so your particular issue can be investigated further"

My AV is Avast free (latest edition) and is NOT in the exclusions list for the specific reason that is given in the known issues. Domains list is not ignored.

One of OA's original claims was that it could be used by the "mums and dads" with ease, and I am one of those "dads" with little or no technical knowledge or expertise, hence my choice of OA in the first place.

I have not knowingly set anything to allow those email sites to be accessed in banking mode.

Hi,

You have to wait for some time (or a few days) for responses. I had this same problem for sometime. Try this and let us know. I could get the login page in banking mode (hotmail, yahoo). As soon as I put the username and pwd and clicked 'submit' the browser couldn't load the following pages.

Yesterday I couldn't reproduce this though. None of the pages were accessible in banking mode. Do update OA regularly and see if it goes away.

So, no input as to why I can access those email addresses in banking mode????

Please remember that it is still the weekend in other parts of the world and as such you more than likely won't get a response from Emsisoft until regular working hours.

In the meantime I can think of two situations where the issue you outlined could occur.

1. If you have previously been to the Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail sites, the initial sign in page may load in Banking Mode as it will be stored in your local browser cache.
  2. If you are already on these sites and signed in to them at the time you switch to Banking Mode, it's possible the connections to them may not be terminated.

My appologies for being impatient :blush:

Since I retired, every day is a weekend lol.

Have I got this right?

From the replies, it seems like "Keep me logged in" is the culprit? If so, that didn't used to happen in days gone by.

I will be more patient.

I will be more patient.

I will be more patient.

I will be more patient. :)

Rightclick in Domains list and choose 'Left justify'.

It was left justify already, so I right justified, then left and now this post is ok.

Was my suposition

"Have I got this right?

From the replies, it seems like "Keep me logged in" is the culprit? "

correct?

Hello queenslander,

Could you please switch firewall logging to "All activity" at "Options->Firewall", tick the "Additional debug info" checkbox, reboot, reproduce the issue and

send me your firewall logs via PM ?

The firewall logs can be found at the "Logs" folder (names starting with "FW").

Thank you in advance,

Hello queenslander,

Could you please switch firewall logging to "All activity" at "Options->Firewall", tick the "Additional debug info" checkbox, reboot, reproduce the issue and

send me your firewall logs via PM ?

The firewall logs can be found at the "Logs" folder (names starting with "FW").

Thank you in advance,

Thanks Andrew.

Just to be sure my non-tech mind has it right -

Is the "Additional debug info" checkbox the same as "Enable debug mode" in the General tab, as I can't see a checkbox with the words you describe.

And where is the "Logs" folder to be found?

queenslander,

the 'Additional debug info' can be found at; Options > Firewall while using OA in advanced mode.

Enable logging all activity, and than the option for 'Additional debug info' is available.

Logs folder is in OA Programs directory.

e.g. C:\Program Files\Online Armor\

Bump.

I was asked, on 15th March, to submit logs for this issue.

This I did on the 17th March. Dates are Aus time.

To date I have not had any feedback of my email.

Just wondering if the very busy people at Support have had an opportunity to look at the log.

Bump.

I see that v5.5.0.1616 has been downloaded and installed today (Aus time).

Despite Andrewf's last post about "addressing the issue", I am still able to access Hotmail, gmail and yahoo emails sites while still in Banking Mode.

Any thoughts?

I just tested Banking mode (version .1616) and I can load www.foxnews.com in my browser while in "banking mode" (no proxy).

Bump.

I see that v5.5.0.1616 has been downloaded and installed today (Aus time).

Despite Andrewf's last post about "addressing the issue", I am still able to access Hotmail, gmail and yahoo emails sites while still in Banking Mode.

Any thoughts?

v 5.5.0.1616 is just a bugfix for long-existent issue with ie and adobe flash (as stated in the changelist).

Sorry for confusion, but the banking mode thing will come a bit later.

I also was having this problem with banking mode. I could pretty much access any web site I wanted to while in banking mode. I was also having problems with it hanging up while it was booting more times than not. I couldn't stand the thoughts of being pestered to death again so I had been putting off uninstalling and installing it again. But, because it was being so frequent, I thought I had better do it before I wore my computer out from restarting. I did all of the above AND enabled Beta updates as was suggested to me and now Banking Mode is working as it should and has been for about a week. I am using version 5.50.16.16. I testing it again before I posted this. I could not access anything but my bank as it should be. I tried Hotmail and my browser stated it was having trouble accessing this page,etc. I never accessed anything else until I went back into Standand Mode. Just thought I would throw this in for your information. I could kick myself for not doing this sooner because this time, it was so much easier to install than in the past when I had tried this. I have not been pestered to death like in the past when it was suppose to be "remembering" our response.

Well, I spoke too soon. It updated "components", etc . today and now Banking Mode doesn't work anymore. I can go anywhere I want while I'm in banking mode just as you guys. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. That is the feature that has kept me renewing in spite of the aggravation all these years. Oh well, I guess I'll have to find another program soon because I am up for renewal in just a few weeks.

Isn't 3 months enough time to fix this issue? Or is it not regarded as a bug?

And where do we find the changelist please. "(as stated in the changelist)."

The changelog is located here http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2012/05/30/emsisoft-online-armor-firewall-5-5-0-1616-released/ You can also always access it via the GUI by clicking the version number on the Status section.

The primary goal of Banking Mode is to prevent the user from becoming a victim of phishing. This protection is achieved by using DNS Checking and is not dependent on the additional ability to block connections to all sites other than a select few (the reported issue) while in Banking Mode. So while the latter may not be working correctly for some people, the most important protection that Banking Mode provides is not being compromised by this fact.

Well then Banking mode is just fluff.

It would seem so.

My understanding of Banking Mode was, that in order to protect activities involving the person's bank site, was that the bank site was the only one able to have an internet connection until BM was turned off.

Hence my original post.

W7-64 Pro

I can open a news site in Advanced mode, open another news site, turn ON Banking mode and I'm prevented from getting to either news site, so it appears that BM works on my system.

When I switch back to Advanced, I can get to the news sites, as I would expect to.

I don't use google mail so I can't test that. I use e-mail servers on my own domain which of course are Trusted in my Domains list.

It would seem so.

My understanding of Banking Mode was, that in order to protect activities involving the person's bank site, was that the bank site was the only one able to have an internet connection until BM was turned off.

Hence my original post.

The control is on the Domain rather than a specific URL. It's possible to have multiple domains in the list, for banking, investing, e-mail, etc.

The control is on the Domain rather than a specific URL. It's possible to have multiple domains in the list, for banking, investing, e-mail, etc.

I realise that there can be multiple domains in the banking mode. As I said, I was under the impression that activating BM protected that particular domain's activities so that security details could not be stolen because the only activity possible was the person's interaction with that one site.

In thread http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/9488-banking-mode-and-trial-versions/

there is reference to various Banking Mode related fixes.

Those fixes still don't prevent my access to the web based emails mentioned above, and was told earlier (in this thread) that it was up for fixing later.

How much later???

In reply #15 - "We'll address this issue in the next release".

There have been several releases since that reply!

In thread http://support.emsis...trial-versions/

there is reference to various Banking Mode related fixes.

Those fixes still don't prevent my access to the web based emails mentioned above, and was told earlier (in this thread) that it was up for fixing later.

How much later???

In reply #15 - "We'll address this issue in the next release".

There have been several releases since that reply!

Dear queenslander,

Could you please enable debug mode and set the firewall logging to all activity (with the "Additional debug info" checkbox ticked at Options->Firewall)

then reboot, reproduce the issue and send me the logs in an archive via PM.

Thank you in advance,

Article about debug mode: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3819-how-to-configure-online-armor-debug-logs/

Just in case you'd not be able to attach a file due its size to a pm message:

Please feel free to send them via email to oasupport (at) emsisoft [dot] com

Thanks in advance,