Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomFace

Unknown Publisher

8 posts in this topic

I down loaded the Emergency Kit yesterday from the Emsisoft website. When I went to run it, first I got the warning message about "Unknown Publisher". I did eventually see the UAC window with the verified publisher. Anyone know why that may have happened? I am still getting the Unknown Publisher message on the Commandline scanner which I have not run.

Could you please post a screenshot of the message? Here's a link to instructions on taking a screenshot, and you can attach it to a reply by clicking on the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.

Here you go-I just deleted yesterdays version and redownloaded again-same issue. I did send in a e-mail to support. I admit I did click on the Emer kit scanner instead of start, but same issue occurs.

That's normal when you download an executable file using Internet Explorer. Just go ahead and click Run.

Not sure about it being normal, but you should know your product. Just wanted to be sure. TY

Not sure about it being normal...

You've never seen that "Open File - Security Warning" message before?

Tomface,

EmergencyKitScanner.bat is a windows batch file, and a windows batch file is never signed. Therefore the publisher can not be verified. It's basically a text file with instructions and a .bat extension.

ECHO OFF
cd Run
start a2emergencykit.exe
Exit

If you start the menu with start.exe (which is signed) and select "Emergency Kit Scanner", then start.exe will open EmergencyKitScanner.bat and follow the instructions in EmergencyKitScanner.bat which are; Go to the Run directory and start a2emergencykit.exe (which is also signed).

So, if you'd like to skip the menu, open the Run directory, start a2emergencykit.exe and you won't see the 'publisher could not be verified message'.

OK-just wanted to be sure. Thanks again...I try to learn something new everyday... :)