anon

Flash Update Being Blocked

Just a quick follow up: I have just spoken to Andrey and he has confirmed the following information:

• The fix will be tested in our next internal beta.
  • There is currently no ETA on a public release.
  • For now, simply mark the installer as Trusted and as an Installer in Online Armor to bypass the issue.
  • If proper rules are set up in Online Armor for the installer, then the temp file should be ignored.

I have the same problem as skypilotpete.

Your suggestion:

"For now, simply mark the installer as Trusted and as an Installer in Online Armor to bypass the issue."

not works because => "It appears that it generates a differently named .tmp file each time."

Did you mark the Flash installer as an installer? So far, everyone else has said that marking it as Trusted and as Installer has resolved the issue, and you're the first to mention that the temp file isn't trusted.

Did you mark the Flash installer as an installer?

Yes, marked as Trusted and as Installer.

IE closed

IE opened again ----> A new pop-up comes every time => It appears that it generates a differently named .tmp file each time

So far, everyone else has said that marking it as Trusted and as Installer has resolved the issue, and you're the first to mention that the temp file isn't trusted.

So what?

I've split this off into a new topic, since this looks like it is a different issue. I noticed this morning that Adobe added a new update mechanism here recently, and that must be what is being blocked.

Please try downloading the latest version of Adobe Flash from this link, and let me know if installing it makes the notifications stop.

I've split this off into a new topic, since this looks like it is a different issue. I noticed this morning that Adobe added a new update mechanism here recently, and that must be what is being blocked.

Please try downloading the latest version of Adobe Flash from this link, and let me know if installing it makes the notifications stop.

It makes no sense as the latest version (v.11.2.202.228) for Adobe Flash Player (for IE) already dowloaded from this link=

Flash Player 11.2.202.228

(32 bit)

Windows / Internet Explorer / Download EXE Installer

http://www.adobe.com...tribution3.html

it's the same installler as =

3. Download and install the latest Flash Player version

http://helpx.adobe.c...er-windows.html

or that one from your link=

Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.228 (3.93 MB)

http://get.adobe.com.../?promoid=BUIGP

and the uninstaller from here=

http://helpx.adobe.c...er-windows.html

OK, I'll do some testing, and see if I can learn some more about this issue. It doesn't sound like it is related to an update, so I want to see if I can figure out why the Flash plugin is creating and running a randomly named temp file every time it loads.

Theoretically, when the update is released to Online Armor that resolves the issue with installing/updating the Flash plugin, it should fix this as well. I will let you know more once I have had a chance to test this. ;)

BTW: Is your Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

After some testing, it looks like the the Flash plugin's BHO (Browser Helper Object) is loading as a randomly named temp file. I was able to stop it from popping up, however. I selected the checkbox to remember my decision, and I clicked the Allow button. I had to do that about 5 times before it stopped warning me about the temp file, however it no longer pops up now that I have done that.

OK, I'll do some testing, and see if I can learn some more about this issue. It doesn't sound like it is related to an update, so I want to see if I can figure out why the Flash plugin is creating and running a randomly named temp file every time it loads.

Theoretically, when the update is released to Online Armor that resolves the issue with installing/updating the Flash plugin, it should fix this as well. I will let you know more once I have had a chance to test this. ;)

BTW: Is your Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit.

After some testing, it looks like the the Flash plugin's BHO (Browser Helper Object) is loading as a randomly named temp file. I was able to stop it from popping up, however. I selected the checkbox to remember my decision, and I clicked theAllowbutton. I had to do that about 5 times before it stopped warning me about the temp file, however it no longer pops up now that I have done that.

I made that also (3 days ago).

There are no longer red pops up but...

... every time (when the IE starts), a new (allowed) temp file is created....

..... and a lot of greyed (old temp files) are accumulated.

What about yours?

Please see once again the fist screenshot "Programs" (1 allowed and running & 6 greyed old temp files) =

http://support.emsis...7743#entry47743

Delete all the temp files?

Then, same story starts =>

1. Red pop up (second screenshot).

2. Select the checkbox to remember my decision, and click the "Allow" button.

:mad:

Happend here too some hours ago. Background info: I've updated some stuff on my system lately (Windows Updates, Java, Acrobat, Flash, ...) and also didn't open Internet Explorer for like three weeks. So after I opened it today and navigated to a website including some flash content I got presented with the following message:

As far as I remember I only ticked "Remember my decision" and then pressed "Allow". Then this message appeared (I've unintentionally cut the lower part):

Now I got nervous since I thought Online Armor detected the file as dangerous through the cloud. So I blocked it. Afterwards I got some more of the first messages and after I all I had to kill the "iexplore.exe" process. I started IE (32bit btw) again and got the messages again. I don't remember correctly but somehow after doing some mixture of "Remember my decision", "Allow", etc I've managed to get through and I now I don't get those messages anymore.

I have not to trusted "FlashUtil32_11_2_202_228_ActiveX.exe" or "fpb.tmp" as you can see here:

Also:

• The "fpb.tmp" file is not randomly named every time only it's path (X's filled with hexadecimal digits):
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\fpb.tmp

• Every "fpb.tmp" is the same. (MD5: db0f62390f8652992dda8de665a377c4, uploaded to VirusTotal)

I'm not using beta updates btw.

EDIT: Well...I've cheered too soon. Just got the first popup again. I've came up with this workaround:

1. Close IE.
  2. Delete all "FlashUtil32_11_2_202_228_ActiveX.exe" and "fpb.tmp" lines in Online Armor's "Programs" section.
  3. Add "FlashUtil32_11_2_202_228_ActiveX.exe" (from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\) manually and allow and trust it (don't mark it as "Installer" though).
  4. Run Ccleaner to delete all IE related temp stuff.
  5. Start IE and navigate to some page with flash content.

Done. Since we've trusted "FlashUtil32_11_2_202_228_ActiveX.exe" there should be one "tpb.tmp" line in Online Armor's "Programs" section now which is allowed and trusted too. Problem solved for me. ^_^

What about yours?

I restored my VM to a snapshot after testing, so I can't check and see if there are a lot of listings for temp files accumulating in the list. I fully expect that it would have been the same in my test environment as well.

EDIT: Well...I've cheered too soon. Just got the first popup again. I've came up with this workaround:

1. Close IE.
  2. Delete all "FlashUtil32_11_2_202_228_ActiveX.exe" and "fpb.tmp" lines in Online Armor's "Programs" section.
  3. Add "FlashUtil32_11_2_202_228_ActiveX.exe" (from C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\) manually and allow and trust it (don't mark it as "Installer" though).
  4. Run Ccleaner to delete all IE related temp stuff.
  5. Start IE and navigate to some page with flash content.

Done. Since we've trusted "FlashUtil32_11_2_202_228_ActiveX.exe" there should be one "tpb.tmp" line in Online Armor's "Programs" section now which is allowed and trusted too. Problem solved for me. ^_^

May I ask you how can be added "manually"?

Rightclick anywhere in the "Programs" list and choose "Add".

Thank you.

Unfortunately the workaround not worked for me. :(

More and more greyed "fpb.tmp" (old temp files) after each IE start/stop.

Not sure if it could be of any help to your investigation and, by the way, I don't want to hijack any thread (just reporting some info), but this morning before updating the Flash Plugin for Firefox using the full installer (http://www.adobe.com...tribution3.html), I enabled OA's Learning Mode. Well, after the installation process, I checked OA's Program List and it did block one of the "fpb.tmp" files, regardless of Learning Mode.

Regards,

N.

Win XP Pro SP3

Avast! Free AV 7.0.1426.0

Online Armor Free 5.5.0.1557

13 April 2012 : "we're planning to release"

...... next year?

Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA. There is a fix, and it has been in testing, however there is a lot more than just this one fix that has been incorporated into the new Online Armor update, so it needs to undergo a lot more testing than would be required for just a single fix.

Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA. There is a fix, and it has been in testing, however there is a lot more than just this one fix that has been incorporated into the new Online Armor update, so it needs to undergo a lot more testing than would be required for just a single fix.

Hi GT500,

Version 5.5.0.1616 arrived (without fix :angry: ), problem remains..........

Hi GT500,

Version 5.5.0.1616 arrived (without fix :angry: ), problem remains..........

Your programs list shows that the fpb.tmp is Trusted (I guess it's because you answered appropriate popup with allow+trust+remember).

Would the popup re-occur on the next iexplore startup?

Would the popup re-occur on the next iexplore startup?

No.

=>

Thanks for verifying :)

temp files creation is not caused by OA.

This is just how adobe flash works.

"how adobe flash works" .....Since when?

As far as I know the above mentioned story started in OA version 5.5.0.1557 with Adobe Flash Player version

v.11.2.202.228

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/7839-flash-update-being-blocked/page__view__findpost__p__47815

In previous OA/Adobe Flash Player versions everhing was normal (no old temp files for adobe flash player).....

Adobe Flash did not drop a temp file when it ran until version 11 (or was it 11.2 when they made that change?). If you were to install Flash 10, you wouldn't see notifications about that temp file in OA 5.5.0.1557 like you did (although using outdated versions of Adobe Flash is a security risk, and is not recommended).

As far as I know the above mentioned story started in OA version 5.5.0.1557 with Adobe Flash Player version

v.11.2.202.228

In previous OA/Adobe Flash Player versions everhing was normal (no old temp files for adobe flash player).....

The issue with the certificate not being trusted was an issue with OA 5.5.0.1557, however you only saw it when trying to install or update Flash until Adobe changed how Flash worked. Now, thanks to updates to Flash that cause it to run in a way that seems rather odd, you get to see the notification every time the Flash plugin loads.

Adobe Flash did not drop a temp file when it ran until version 11 (or was it 11.2 when they made that change?). If you were to install Flash 10, you wouldn't see notifications about that temp file in OA 5.5.0.1557 like you did (although using outdated versions of Adobe Flash is a security risk, and is not recommended).

The issue with the certificate not being trusted was an issue with OA 5.5.0.1557, however you only saw it when trying to install or update Flash until Adobe changed how Flash worked. Now, thanks to updates to Flash that cause it to run in a way that seems rather odd, you get to see the notification every time the Flash plugin loads.

Thanks.

This is interesting.

Anon - Are you going to follow this up at the Adobe forum? (You seem like you like to keep on top of things)

If so, could you reply to this thread with what their answer/solution turns out to be, please? This must be affecting not only OA, but everyone using any program that works in a similar way.