scottls1

No definition update pop-up bubble 6.5.0.11?

EAM auto-updated to latest 6.5.0.11 this morning (cold startup, and no-beta)), and after doing 2 long-wait reboots-

I did a full system Custom Scan (DDA on, and File extension filter off).

I then did an MBAM quick scan (both negative).

10min after MBAM scan completed, EAM taskbar icon did it's twirly update thing, but No pop-up bubble (I was watching closely)? :wacko:

It's funny coincidental.. I was sitting here reading your post and my Definition Update "bubble" (WinVista / 32bit) just popped up. Hopefully your lack of one was just a hiccup..

Shy

Re; hiccup- I don't know, but I'll wait & see if i get the same behavior tomorrow?

If I do a manual update, I get a bubble.

Come to think of it- Once in awhile the last EAM version did the same no bubble, once in awhile..

I've had a few newly installed applications that didn't work properly..., until after the first cold startup.

BTW- The reason I watch updates so closely, is that my Windows Live Mail (POP3) will "Stop Working/crash" if I get an auto-update & keep working (every AV I've had does this, but EAM recovers the fastest yet).

I usually just stop working for 10min, and everything's OK.

I write the time down of 1st auto-update for later reference, and switched to updates every 3hrs, completely ending in mid-afternoon.

I'll then do a manual update 30min before my scheduled daily C: scan

Do you have your update scheduled to run at the same time every day? If so, you could get a DebugView log for our developers to take a look at.

Do you have your update scheduled to run at the same time every day? If so, you could get a DebugView log for our developers to take a look at.

I am still having intermittant no pop-up bubble after update, and I can't detect any pattern?

~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: ...you could get a DebugView log...?-

I searched Help, but couldn't find out how to use/create this log? :wacko:

Update:

I Googled & found DeBugView log instructions for EAM here-

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/7755-problems-with-automatic-updates/

Update:

http://support.emsis...omatic-updates/

Re: step #2 of create log instructions???-

"2. Enable debugoutput for Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Start the windows registry editor. Start > Run, and type regedit and press Enter or click OK.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Emsi Software GmbH

Right-click in the right side (where you see the columns Name, Type, Data) and choose New > DWORD value

You'll see a new value named 'New Value #1'

Change that to GenerateDebugOutput

Doubleclick on the new value GenerateDebugOutput and change the 0 to 1 (this will enable the debugoutput)..."

I navigated in regedit, but No EAM?

Now what? :unsure:

Just a quick question: are you logged in as an Administrator or under a limited User account?

I'm always Admin.

I tried run as admin regedit.exe, and also tried searching with regscanner (admin too)?

Re: ...you could get a DebugView log...?-

I searched Help, but couldn't find out how to use/create this log? :wacko:

Update:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/7755-problems-with-automatic-updates/

The following ZIP file contains a batch file which will create the registry entry for you.

Please download DebugView from this link:

1. When downloading, make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  2. Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  3. Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  4. Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  5. Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  6. Do whatever it is you need to in order to replicate the issue.
  7. After you have replicated the issue you can switch back to DebugView and click 'File' and "Save As" in order to save the log to a file on your Desktop.
  8. Please attach that log file to a reply so that we may analyze it for errors. You will need to use the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply in order to access the attachment controls.

Note: You may need to ZIP the log file in order to attach it. If you do not have a program such as 7-Zip, WinZip, WinRar, etc. then you can right-click on the log file, go to Sent to, and click on Compressed (zipped) folder. You will be able to attach the ZIP archive to a reply.

The following ZIP file contains a batch file which will create the registry entry for you.

I'm not at all comfortable with creating an EAM registry entry, for security reasons?-

If regsearch & Search Everything can't find EAM, then malware probably can't find it either, to disable...!? :ph34r:

It appears that I'm the only person having this issue, as noone else is chiming in?

As a workaround I write the time of the first cold startup update, and keep track from there....

It appears that if I reboot 3+ times early in the day, the pop-up works OK. I also have to reboot once after my daily 5:30 C: scan, to stop further updates (12am to 3:15pm interval).

~~~~~~~~

BTW- The conflicts between EAM & WAC false notifiy, also go away after 3+ reboots, but then reappeared after my 5:30 C: scan (then 3 more reboots to get it working again...). :mad:

The Red X drove me Nuts, until I finally disabled AV/Spyware monitoring (out of sight, out of mind!). :wacko:

-From another Topic on EAM/WAC issues..., it appears that EAM devs are aware that this is reboot related....

There's no security problem with creating this registry entry. It just tells EAM to output debug information that DebugView can capture, so that we can see what's going on when this problem happens. ;)