Sign in to follow this  
trujwin

Network Firewall

Hi everyone,

I have linked up systems in my home for simple file transfering etc. I observed that unless the Network adapter is ticked as trusted Image-1 (it turns green , initially it is yellow) other systems would not be able to connect to this system. Fine.

Later I unticked the box Image -2 and the box turns red. The point is still I am able to access the files in this computer from others. I initially thought it was cache.Manually I transfered some files to the shared directory and it immediately is reflected in the other computer too.

Perhaps unticking is not refreshing the firewall state of OA?

Also I was able to find strange occurences of OA not listing the network adapter in the firewall >>Interfaces tab during that rare startups. But strangely the internet seems to function well , only that OA has not held it.

May I ask what version of Online Armor you are using? Is it 5.5.0.1557?

Also, from the screenshots it look like Windows 7. Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

May I ask what version of Online Armor you are using? Is it 5.5.0.1557?

Also, from the screenshots it look like Windows 7. Do you have Service Pack 1 installed?

Oh Yes it is indeed OA 5.5.0.1557 and Windows 7 64 bit service pack 1 installed.

Surprisingly as I write OA is not lisitng my wireless interface and the computers list (Mention ed as Random ocurence in my previous post) is empty even though the internet connection is on and also listed in the Network interfaces of WIn 7 Control panel. Previously however on attempting to connect a bluetooth modem OA briefly listed it while the connection was on and removed it promptly.

on disconnecting. However my Wireless adapter refuses to be listed.

EDITED To add the word 64bit

For some reasons in all the subsequent sessions I am totally not getting the wireless adapter in the list.This is for kind info please.

There was a bug report open on this issue. I'll have to check and see if it was resolved, as it isn't showing up in the publicly accessible list.

Hi,

Incidentally there was another issue of OA trying to discover Networks (ofcourse with the IP address mentioned ) which was a never ending process which I reported earlier.I presumed it to be an apparent incompatibility of Windows and OA within my PC . I have moved on with a fresh OS installation. The problem is that OA was well displaying everything. Perhaps some frequent toggles to the "TRUSTED" checkbox is making it to ignore the NETWORK adapter totally.

I assume this was happening on Windows 7? Do you know if you installed the optional update "Update for Windows 7 (KB2640148)"?

I assume this was happening on Windows 7? Do you know if you installed the optional update "Update for Windows 7 (KB2640148)"?

Yes it is present in the installed update list. Checking the date on which it was installed-- 27/04/12. The probable date from which I got the OA malfunction --01/05/12 . If that is of any interest to you. I have been logging on to my notebook on a regular basis.

There is a know issue where, after "Update for Windows 7 (KB2640148)" is installed, Online Armor has some trouble verifying certificates for Windows files, although your issue sounds like it may be a little different from the one that was reported by our testers. If it is the same issue, then the best workaround for now is to switch Online Armor into Learning Mode when installing Windows Updates.

Well I had unistalled OA restarted twice and installed OA 1557 again. Now the display is back but there surely is a bug lurking behind. The possible causes are toggling the trusted checkbox on and off , hibernating and resuming etc , a combination of both. Up to you now! :rolleyes:

Could you add C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe to the Firewall list as Allowed and to the Programs list as Trusted in Online Armor, and let me know if that helps with some of the issues.

You may also want to consider uninstalling the Windows Update that caused the problems (it was not a required security update), and see if that resolves the issue.

Could you add C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe to the Firewall list as Allowed and to the Programs list as Trusted in Online Armor, and let me know if that helps with some of the issues.

You may also want to consider uninstalling the Windows Update that caused the problems (it was not a required security update), and see if that resolves the issue.

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe is shown as trusted in my program list. However the entries are missing in the Firewall list and they do not seem to have initiated at all. Presently OA is working fine. Mightr be when things go wrong I will try to add them. But imho rundll32 may not be a cause.

You are quite correct that it is not the cause of the problem, however our testers who discovered the issue reported that adding rundll32.exe as 'Trusted' and as 'Allowed' did resolve the issue with not being able to launch applications. You seem to be having slightly different symptoms than they reported, however, so I cannot guarantee that it is the exact same issue, or that their reported work-around would even be effective in your case, however it is the best place to start if you experience further problems along these lines.