Sign in to follow this  
gugarci

EAM is blocking Google Search and Gmail

The latest definition files are blocking Google search and Gmail on my pc. I can only access these sites if I turn off surf protection.

Both of these sites were working well last night. It's also not letting Chrome check for updates. I fixed loading of sites issues by adding to

them the my own rules in the surf protection. But I don't know how to fix the check for updates which is critical for security updates.

Just sent it. Thanks for the quick reply.

EAM just updated 3 mins ago but they have not fixed this issue. They must not be aware of it.

Hello gugarci,

please open Emsisoft Anti-Malware and run a online update (button "Update now") on section Security Status. Then please restart Emsisoft Anti-Malware and try again to go to google.com

If you have any more questions or problems, just let us know.

No it did not work. Still can access Gmail, google or update Chrome with surf protection enable.

I shut down EAM by clicking on shutdown guard. Should I have rebooted instead?

Yes I did everything you asked. Happy to report that after restarting the PC all is now working well.

I'm going to do one more reboot to play it safe.

Just rebooted again all is well.

I had the same problem today. I installed EAM on my mother's PC, and several friends. They all had the same problem today with Google search engine being blocked. I wasn't too concerned because I knew it was a false positive, and I knew it would be fixed shortly. I recieved a popup from EAM myself saying that it blocked a suspiciouos host which I believe said Google News. I allowed it to block it because I did not think it would affect google search. I was then notified that Googles DNS was being blocked. The problem has already been fixed on the PC's I looked at. I believe EAM blocks way too many legiate sites. It seems to be extremely paronoid. What is the criteria that EAM uses to decide when to block a site or suspicious connection? It blocks some sites that I regularly visit, and I know to be safe. I have all surf protection shields set at default. I haven't changed any of them. I wonder if I need to do some custom configuring to avoid so many false positives.

• Upvote 1

I was actually on the phone with my ISP when I figured out it was EAM blocking Google. I rebooted and everything's OK, but I also noticed deviantart.com is now being blocked. I just created a "don't block" rule for now.

Like I said EAM's Surf protection is very paranoid. Its not a problem for me alone, but when i'm consuming my time with unblocking websites for friends, and family that I have recommended to use this product it then becomes a problem. It makes me look bad, and it can keep them from getting their work done. Maybe I just need to do some adjustments with the settings, but what does Emsisoft recommend? I don't want to kill their protection while i'm at it. Sometimes its hard to find that balance of productivity vs security. Regardless, I believe EAM is a great product! Just needs some fine tuning on what appear to be false positives in many cases in reference to blocking websites.

I also have got this exact problem ever since I logged on this morning (May 2, 2012) - I was not able to access Gmail or any google sign-in services.

Creating the "Don't Block" host rule for the domain "google.com" works to bypass this.

I don't have any issues with Google.com and i have all shields on, on top of that i used the computer the whole day.

No issues here. :D

Noobie, maybe you was not using google or Gmail during the time frame the incident occured or you have EAM configured not to update as often as those affected. Maybe you was still using an older definition file.

Was able to use googlemail again after clearing the whole browser history and cache, but now its blocking every data attached to my mails. I cant even download a single text document from a mail i received. Have to turn off EAM to do so.

I have only been using EAM for about 5 months now as main and favorite AV. What I've learned to do if something is not loading properly is to check the logs.

If a site or app is being blocked it will show up in your logs. If a site does not load you can always turn off temporarily your surf shield and try reloading

the site again. If it loads with the surf protection off that immediately tells you where to lock to resolve your site issue.

Also yesterday I learned that if you whitelist a site that's is being blocked in the EAM built in host rules. Unless you also unblock it from the built in list the site

might load, but will not function properly. So if a whiltelisted site is not working look for it in the built in rules and edit that rule.

Was able to use googlemail again after clearing the whole browser history and cache, but now its blocking every data attached to my mails. I cant even download a single text document from a mail i received. Have to turn off EAM to do so.

You might be an experiencing another issue. Start a new thread because the EAM employee that helped me with this issue knows my issue was resolved and has probably not looked at this thread since I told him my issue was fixed.

Good luck.

Noobie, maybe you was not using google or Gmail during the time frame the incident occured or you have EAM configured not to update as often as those affected. Maybe you was still using an older definition file.

Yeah, I though i might missed the buggy update and when it did update the DB was already patched.